User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TV Commentators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    Ouh.. I am surprised she can be so fair and not being irritating when doing commentary on LD's game, if she is indeed a fan of him. Good. So professional.

And i'd say en ex-player could always be a perfect commentator when they were also provided with the talent. They'd be perfect! Who's next? Wong Choon Han?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

WCH can only be a 'support-commentator'. He just does'nt have the ummph nor the vocabulary or the command of the English language of Gillian or John Burgess to be a 'stand-alone' commentator . No doubt he knows everything about badminton but that is not enough. Sorry.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

WCH can only be a 'support-commentator'. He just does'nt have the ummph nor the vocabulary or the command of the English language of Gillian or John Burgess to be a 'stand-alone' commentator . No doubt he knows everything about badminton but that is not enough. Sorry.

Ok, jokes aside. Wong Choon Hann is not the man. I loves his spirit but he's not for the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    It's always a challenge for a non-English speaking person to do commentary in English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    It's always a challenge for a non-English speaking person to do commentary in English.
    I think Hasbullah Awang will support you. ~.
    Wong Choon Han,a man with all good facts about Badminton, but judging from his commentary task in the past, he is not fit for that job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup, gillian over emphasises a lot on some of the points, but at least she knows what shots the players are trying to execute and does explain each player's strengths and weaknesses (though this is repeated constantly). john, on the other hand, is amusing at first but very quickly becomes boring and then down right annoying. what i would give for an application to remove the commentary and just listen to the players hitting the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    yup, gillian over emphasises a lot on some of the points, but at least she knows what shots the players are trying to execute and does explain each player's strengths and weaknesses (though this is repeated constantly). john, on the other hand, is amusing at first but very quickly becomes boring and then down right annoying. what i would give for an application to remove the commentary and just listen to the players hitting the shuttle.

That would be very boring just watching the players' hitting the shuttles.
    As regards John, he is not only good in commentating on badminton matches but also on other sports like table-tennis, rugby, etc., and he is in great demand. He recently commentated on the matches of the 2009 World Table Tennis Championships held in Yokohama, Japan, from 28 April to 5 May 2009.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gillian Clark is better than unknown commentators. Like John Burgess, they both share one common prerequisite : enthusiasm. She's better than JB because she talks at the right time compared to JB which is almost all the time (but improving).
    However she's a horror at commentating LD matches. I can tell who's winning by just listening to her volume. If LD's winning, she can match JB in terms of non-stop energy. If LD's losing, she suddenly goes quiet. Which was what happened in SO. Started by raving over LD and ended whimpering.
    Charmaine did a good job tempering her LDisms.
    JB does a better job commentating LD matches. At least he's neutral and does not assume a match outcome. That way, the commentator does not lose face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Gillian Clark is better than unknown commentators. Like John Burgess, they both share one common prerequisite : enthusiasm. She's better than JB because she talks at the right time compared to JB which is almost all the time (but improving).
    However she's a horror at commentating LD matches. I can tell who's winning by just listening to her volume. If LD's winning, she can match JB in terms of non-stop energy. If LD's losing, she suddenly goes quiet. Which was what happened in SO. Started by raving over LD and ended whimpering.
    Charmaine did a good job tempering her LDisms.
    JB does a better job commentating LD matches. At least he's neutral and does not assume a match outcome. That way, the commentator does not lose face.

Come on... JB is no less a bolehian as X Ball, and how can you call him neutral at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i for one have never been able to stand Gillian Clark. she tend to over-dramatize and over-sensationalize trivial issues.

she also used to be very anti-China. even though she seems to try to be neutral, you can tell her commentating has been a bit hostile to the Chinese, be it that she always tend to support the non-China side, or trying to down play the Chinese.

in recent years, however, she has slowly accepted the fact that it was futile and has since gone with the flow a bit more.

to really see what a good commentator is, we should look towards more professional commentators in the US and in other sports. little that i watch other sports like NBA/NFL, whenever i do, i always find their commentating much more professional than anybody have done in badminton.

another excellent commentator is cycling commentator Phil Liggett, who can make a sport as monotonous as pedalling from point A to point B interesting.
    I hope gill clark wont see this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For commentators, I do like Morten Frost or Hoyer Larssen as they provide excellent analysis and explanation on what's happening during the match. On the Chinese side, most are good i.e. Zhao Jianhua. The lady doing the commentataries in Cantonese is very good analysing the matches as well.

Maybe is me, I have a feeling that Gillian Clark is sometimes lost as what's happening on the court - compare her comments with the analysis at the same time from either MF or HL. Regarding the 'other guy', better not even mention about it...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by viver View Post
    For commentators, I do like Morten Frost or Hoyer Larssen as they provide excellent analysis and explanation on what's happening during the match. On the Chinese side, most are good i.e. Zhao Jianhua. The lady doing the commentataries in Cantonese is very good analysing the matches as well.

Maybe is me, I have a feeling that Gillian Clark is sometimes lost as what's happening on the court - compare her comments with the analysis at the same time from either MF or HL. Regarding the 'other guy', better not even mention about it...
    There is a difference between commentating and analysing. That's why in most North American pro sports there is a team made up of a commentator, a colour guy and one or two expert analysts. Gillian Clark and John Burgess would serve the role of commentator for the most part. At least Burgess does not pretend to be what he's not (an expert analyst)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cai Yun has been around for a long time. Why can't Gillian Clark pronounce his name properly as "Chai" instead of "Kai"? To her credit, she does pronounce HHB's name correctly as "Her" instead of "Hee".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite is Gill Clark. She never seems to annoy me, and often commentates with other former pro players, which makes it interesting! She doesn't speak over them and gives them a chance to talk as well. John Burgess tends to do that though... but I enjoy listening to him just because I find it funny how many mistakes he can make in a single match .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you that commenting is different from analyzing. However I don't understand her comments such as 'what on earth was he/she thinking...'; 'how this shot was done', etc... Either a commentator does not have to know anything what he/she is talking about or at least must provide some insights of what's going on.

A certain part of a video just watched, a player attacks a net shot and fails, and heard she commenting 'what on earth was he/she thinking about??'. I don't expect such comment from an experienced commentator and ex-professional player like her.

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    There is a difference between commentating and analysing. That's why in most North American pro sports there is a team made up of a commentator, a colour guy and one or two expert analysts. Gillian Clark and John Burgess would serve the role of commentator for the most part. At least Burgess does not pretend to be what he's not (an expert analyst)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I know..

..there are a lot of commentators in this similar thread below:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=59409

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    Cai Yun has been around for a long time. Why can't Gillian Clark pronounce his name properly as "Chai" instead of "Kai"? To her credit, she does pronounce HHB's name correctly as "Her" instead of "Hee".
    __________________________________________________ _________

You are right Gill Clark cannot pronounce Cai as 'Chai' but as 'Kai'. It's just like 'cari' in Bahasa Malaysia which is pronounced 'chari' and not 'kari'. The 'h' is purposely left blank.
    By the way how do you prononce 'Kuncoro'? Is it pronounced as 'Kunchoro' or as 'Kunkoro'? The English commentators pronounce differently.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like John Burgess - for me his defining moment was the famous LHI/LD MS final of the KO 2008 where he captured the drama of the closing rallies without lapsing into melodrama.

Morten Frost's analytical comments are always interesting - what a fab coach he must be!

Of the others, Bobby Milroy gives an expert view from a perspective which really brings home to average club players (like me) the reality of the quality of the international game, and Simon Archer from England gives intelligent commentary and has a good eye for what's going on behind the shots - I'd like to hear more of these two. English coach Andy Wood has occasionally guested - again very insightful.

Cheers,

Smautf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast