Planning on playing again, after a 4yr break. Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lordx_, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Lordx_

Lordx_ Regular Member

Hey All, Outside of playing badminton in my Phyiscal education classes in High School (I'm from Miller Place, so it is quite popular here). I haven't really been involved in serious training since I was about 13 or 14 years old. I stopped playing in High School to concentrate on my studies, and my obession (computers). I would love to get back into the sport since over the past four years of not playing the sport my weight has increased signifigently, and I'm not proud of it. I've been trying to lose weight with other activities, but the only one I really love doing is badminton, so I'm dusting off my racquets! :D I dug out my racqeuts from my basement and they are still in great shape. I have a Hi-Qua 600, an HL (I can't remember the model number) and a Flying, which I can't remember the model number neither. I also purchased a new HQ-3800, stung with yonex BG - 70 strings. I know some people don't like the Hi Qua racquets, but for the price, and the warntee they offer, you really can't go wrong. I would love to own the new Yonex titanium or Isometric series, but the prices are just way too high :(

So my question is, do any of the seasoned players on this forum have any advice on getting back into the game? Does anyone know any places to go and just play in the Long Island, New York area? I don't want to be involved in a team, or any tournaments, I just want to play the sport. It's not really a mainstream sport in the US. I wish it was like tennis, where I can go to a sports dome or a tennis center and just play the game, but finding places to play is kind of a chore. Not to mention getting a tournement teleivised :)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Best Regards

#1 Lordx_, Sep 16, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2002
  2. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I have a little, but very important, bit of advice for you...

Take it SLOW and EASY.

After such a long break you're not going to be able to move around like you used to remember yourself being able to do. At least not right away. Make sure you take it slow and easy until you become accustomed to things again. You're going to have to get your muscles fit again before you can play full out. It's a slow process but there's nothing else you can do. Also stretch before and after playing or working out. If you don't take things slow until you've grown accustomed to your "new body", you'll risk injuring yourself badly.

I too took a 4-5 year break from badminton. During that time I did no exercise at all and gained up to 40lbs. I'm now 25lbs over what I used to be but a month ago I started pushing myself harder and began playing more often. I didn't account for my extra body weight and the amount my muscles had shrunk, and as a result I injured my knee badly. Even if you think your muscles are almost the same size they used to be, chances are they are no longer the density they were when you were exercising regularly. Now it's been a month+ and with every movement there are still sharp pains in my knee. It's a major hinderance in my training. I can't play games and I'm forced to stick to static drills where I don't really move around on the court. I want to play and train hard so badly but I can't or risk damaging it even further. The frustration is overwhelming at times. Take it slow and easy for a couple of months while rebuilding your muscle strength in your upper and lower body with exercises (perhaps a careful weight lifting program). Don't end up like me.

Good luck~!
    :cool:

3. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

Welcome back:

There are few places you can play. You do not have to play tournament, matter of fact majority of players in Long Island do not participate in tournaments.

Friday night: Ed Krohmer at Miller Place. (They are not consistent). Session has not started yet even though schools are open.

Tuesday Night: Don: Garden City Grammer School. about 12 players or so plays at B+/A level out of total 20-25 players including two Miller place school allumni.

Thursday Friday Night: Jane Miller: Same place as Tuesday. Mostly same crowd. You may be late in signing up Garden City for this semester. If you are interested sign up for next semester.

For now you may go to NYC badminton Club in the City. They play Tuesday, Friday and Sunday(day time). Wednesday will start soon.

I heard Commack high school plays on Monday night. I do not know anything about them.

If you need address/telephone numbers then let me know.

4. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    My advice would be to lose some weight and do some conditioning before your return to play. Cut down on the food you eat, and do some training on an excercise bike or some walking/running. I recently returned to badminton after a LONG layoff and a shoulder injury (about 6 years without playing). Even though I had gained no weight and had been working out in the gym religiously 4 times a week for the past 10 years, I still adjusted my weight and training routine prior to my return. For example, I started doing interval training on the bike in the gym (aldernating high - intensity periods of 30 seconds to a minute with easy periods of 1 minute), and I cut down on the upper-body weight training to reduce the bulk up there. I think jumping onto the court is asking for injury from various causes. Your muscles are unprepared, and your body is bigger than it was. This is especially true if you used to be a good player, as your mind will try to make your body do things it once did, but physically you will be totally unprepared to do so.

I know most people don't really enjoy working out in a gym (or at home) and cutting down on food, but it's the best way to get ready. Even after my prepartation, my body still was quite sore after my first day back, although my shoulder problem appears to be a thing of the past.

Good luck!

5. Lordx_

Lordx_ Regular Member

Thanks All.

It's kind of funny, I actually don't eat bad at all, I never eat a lot of red meat, or fatty foods, I generally try to stick to the healthy stuff. My only weakness is pasta :D. I just started college, and I always park in the farthest parking lot I can find, so I can walk. It's a pretty large campus.

It's funny, I've been playing the game in my P.E. class in college, and I've been as agile as ever. I very rarely miss a net shot or a deep clear, but of course, losing weight will help. Which is the reason why I want to get back in the game.

I've emailed Ed over at Miller Place and they said that friday night badminton will be starting as soon as they get the paperwork back to use the High School gym. Only problem is I work. I found out today that Stony Brook University has a badminton club, and it's open to everyone. So I might go there.

Thanks for the information.

Best Regards,
    Anthony

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    first thing, welcome back to badminton and personally I've been away from the sports for 5 years and just got back about a couple years ago. Totally agree with the above comments, just take it slow and do some conditioning first before you get back into full speed, playing the game. While you are playing, look around at the other club players and see if you can pick up on the correct forms and techniques if you have forgotten them. Good luck.