Question on Alberta summer camps

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by LVbeam, May 18, 2009.

1. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

For the Calgary 5-day camp being held at the Talisman Centre, I've got a few questions.

Are there accomodations? I don't know if I saw that anywhere, I'm a bit tired at the mo'.

When you fill out your application and such, do they send some kind of information package of some sort?

Sorry about these nub questions, my first time going to a b-mitton camp or any sort of camp whatsoever lol.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    im assuming your reffering to one of the 3 talisman camps offered this summer by badminton alberta. if so there are no accomdiations they are day camps. the camp is for the majority of the day from about 8:30am to 4:30pm and there are a variaty of ages and skill levels present and the athletes are split into usually 3 groups based on skill and age plays a bit of a factor too begin with (depending on numbers). theres about an hour for lunch and an hour of swimming.

but no there are no accomdiations and they should send you information regarding the program once you register provided you choose to. dont worry they are not noob questions or anything and its not a bad camp to go to. the instructors are very good and you will deffinetly learn the basics and a few advanced strokes as well. the camps are 5 days and thats 4 days of instruction and then the 5th day (the friday) is usually (has been in the past few years) a tournament for everybody in the camp to play in.

hope that answers your questions.

3. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Ah wow that sounds like a sweet deal except that I live about 3 hours away I believe so I was hoping there was accomodations. :(

Hmm do you have any info on the ones happening in edmonton? That would be awesome since the BA site doesn't say much and I live very close to there.

4. smash_master

player/coach/student
    its not to bad of a deal, but yeah 3 hours away would be a real pain to try and get to them so yeah i see why you would need accomdiations. if you know somebody in the city then you could stay with them as talisman center is easily accessiable since its just outside of downtown calgary and is right next to a train station as well as driving there is not to much of a challange (as long as its not rush hour)

the high preformance camps are in edmonton at the royal glenora club. those camps are far more advanced that what is offered at the talisman center as they are for competeing athletes and ones who have the basics down and more so mastered. im not sure your level of play but well theres nothing against beginners going (dont mean to make that sound bad or offensive in any way) they will just find it more challanging and might feel left behind at 1st but could get into it as long as they have a good understanding of the basic strokes. they do on court training as well as fitness training up there. i cant remember how many hours a day they run for but its in 2 week slots if im not mistaken. theres one for younger athletes and then one for older athletes that follows.

5. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Damn well thanks a lot for all of that info I really appreciate it. I'm hoping I can work something out in Calgary... Do you happen to know a site about the Edmonton camps?

6. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Ah nevermind, I found a couple and it sounds a bit too intense for my liking. Guess I'll just have to work something out for Calgary. Thanks again for all your help!

7. smash_master

player/coach/student
    no problem, hope that all works out for you