Is drinking water between the first 2 games.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RedDog, Sep 16, 2002.

1. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I remember that between the 1st and 2nd games in badminton, we're not supose to drink water, is that really true? Is it really bad to drink water between the 2 games? I try to follow that rule if I'm in a tournament, but during a friendly game in the gym, i would take a sip between the 2 games, is it really bad? Sometimes I just get really thirsty...but if I'm really breaking the rule, maybe I should keep myself away from the water until the end of the 2nd game.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    howdy,

i am not aware of that rule. in fact, it is good to rehydrate during the two games (unless the damn drink machine isn't taking dollar bills that is ;) ).

in international tournaments, during the game, players often ask the umpire for a towel break to get some water into their body. in a normal tournament, with the agreement between the two sides, that is usually acceptable too.

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    but i realised that if you drink cold water, it will mess with your stamina!

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    keep your water bottle close by....

if you are playing very hard, you need to ensure you have enough water in your system. if you start to dehydrate, you can seriously injure yourself. water is acceptable, as is towelling, provided it is requested to the umpire and agreed to by the opponent.

it is up to the umpire to determine sometimes if the water request is a stalling tactic or a genuine requirement. in a fun game or recreational, there is no reason why you shouldn't keep your water bottle close by and get a sip as required.

5. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I guess not be able to drink water between games would not make sense...I wonder where did I get that from in the first place... ha ha.;)

6. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    :D you will see me dead if I don't drink enough water during games. the thing is that don't drink too much other wise you won;t able to run :)

Ps. I remember seeing tennis players are eating banana during game break. Might be a good idea to try it next time

7. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    To Iris and anyone else whose interested, but first a personal note to Iris, sorry i couldn't help u with your eye thing but being a biology student and not a doctor, i couldn't really do much. ;)

Well anyways, the reason why u feel there is a lack of stamina could be because of 2 reasons. Either, u simply drank too much, OR your body, recieving the cold water required energy to warm it up before it could be absorbed into your system. So it does in fact require that little bit more energy. The more likely reason for your fall in stamina os more likely the latter... ;)

Thats all, its a tuesday afternoon here in Singapore and i'm bored....

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

no water?...wtf!

whoever would enforce such a rule is a moron.

9. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Just on the side note, I learned this from a tri-athelete. The best time to drink sports drink or water is actually before the game but not too much. I usually drink a small bottle of gatorade before running or beginning playing badminton. I think that helps me tremandously that you don't get dehydrate so easily.

Another tip on dehydration, I learned this from a trainer when I played Junior National in the Olympic training center in Colorado Spring, he says if you're not contantly going to bath room, you are not taking enough water. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

10. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Thanks for the tip Lefty...I don't usually bring anything other then water to the gym, 'cause some gym just won't allow anything besides water. I remember the golden bear tournament is pretty strict on that, right? I'm not even sure if I can sneak Gatorade in. :rolleyes:

I gotta remember that...very helpful. :D

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lefty, those tri-athlete.... you know.... they spend 1/3 of their time in the water, in the sea, and that's usually their first leg. if they have so much water that they need to pee, it is very convenient, nobody would ever find out (another incentive to swim faster and in front of everybody, eh? :) ).

as for us badminton players, we need to ask the umpire's approval... when was the last time you saw a pro ask the umpire if he/she can go to the bathroom? :D

joking aside. what you said is quite true. endurance athelete do drink till they pee the evening before to make sure that their muscles are well hydrated....

12. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Ha Ha!

I find nowadays, unless I live close to the venue I have to get there early or find a suitable mode of transport where I can relieve myslef ! Try drinking 2 litres of fluid and see what happens on the road! Unless you have the bladder capacity of an alcoholic you're gonna be constantly looking for that next service station!

Travelling to a tournament on Friday I took a lot of fluid on board the train. I was recieving some strange looks from passengers after I made a few journeys to the bathroom! What we badminton players have to put up with eh??