Power of ur legs???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, May 18, 2009.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

If ur legs are very strong? will tat give u additional powers for ur SMASHES and CLEARS( both backhand n forehand) too?I have seen players wif small arms but really strong legs! and technique is only avg but they can generate lots of power..any clue if the legs are contributing alot of it??:)

2. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

i know it helps with lifts and if you jump smash then yes it helps.

3. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    The energy for your shots come from the legs

4. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

it helps with speed stability and posture and balance, so yeah, strong legs are what u automatically get from playing a lot of badminton

5. bdoel10

bdoel10 Regular Member

account officer
    yep,it's correct, the stronger power of legs (especially at their wristle) the faster & stronger u can place the shuttle to opponents. But,it's not automatically what u get from playing-even frequently. Have routine skipping-jumps (without any weigher tools)

6. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i agree with saifiii, strong legs give you good stability and posture. the stronger your legs, the less spot on your anticipation has to be and the more time/stability you have when you reach the spot where the shuttle is.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Strong legs are good.......but they have to be strong in the right way.

My legs got strong going up hills on a bike in high gear for 20 years. Yet I can't jump over a chopstick, and I change direction like a container ship.

So make sure that you strengthen your legs the right way as described by so many knowlegable BC'ers.:)

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    legs, hands and body need to balance together. Yinyang. heard of it? ;)

9. markie

markie New Member

Own Business
    Strong legs are vital, as you know from your observations. At the end of this last season I noticed that in mixed doubles I was starting take some shots behind my body which got me in all sorts of problems. The reason?....a back problem had stopped my working out my legs and I knew my leg muscles were definitely smaller.

So, leg muscles also help in making sure you get into the right position to play the shots and you can then use the leg power to play a greater variety of shots to a higher standard. I was still fit as could do aerobic work, so I put it down to leg strength and reduced power output from having less conditioned muscle.

10. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

strong legs definetely help... but if u asked specifically generating more power in terms of your shots.. i think its more to rotation from the stance and also need to be connected to the strength of your upper body, which is why you would need strong abs too.

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    base on my knowledge (could be wrong, don't quote me on anything) I think these are the stuffs that can generate more power to your smash.
    1. tall people
    a. the higher you get to the bird, means more angle, and more angle you get the stronger the shot will be (this base on baseball pitcher position, they're on the higher ground)
    b. tall people have longer arm, that increase more height, and the long the swing start, the more momentum of the swing the stronger it is. (this part i'm not 100 percent sure, but that's what i think)
    2. to increase more power, the quick snap of your wrist.
    a. the quicker the snap of your wrist, the faster the bird will goes. (using tight tension of the string would be the best at this level) And just another suggestion for new people, use your wrist, don't use your shoulder power only, i'm saying this because i've seen so much beginner doing this.
    3. when you're in the air, if you able to make a curve of your body that's more power. That's mean your arm is in the back of your back, your legs are bent, that's create a curve, or should i use the word oval shape (is that the right word? well hope you guys understand)
    4. yelling =) well this i'm not sure lol just a thought. Because when people yell that's mean they release their energy in them. =) sound is a type of energy (vibrations create sound) So when you yell it's kinda like you just push all the energy out, that's mean no resistance in the way, and if there's resistance in the way it will kinda hold your energy back.
    a. similar to yelling would be breathing hard. And of course we all know that breathing RIGHT way will create more power. Good example is in fighting need a good breathing method. For some don't understand why, or disagree go watch NEVER BACK DOWN
    i think that's the title of the movie.
    ok done, correct if i'm wrong thank you

12. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    notice there is a difference between strong legs and powerful legs (though powerful legs are probably strong, but not vice versa).

strength = applied force
    power = applied force/time

it is POWERFUL legs that will help u to hit with more power.

13. carterck

carterck Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Wow...thanx for d info... i am also having difficulty in smashing... will try out d tips given...

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Yes. Badminton needs more lower body power than arm power. I'm not saying that arm power is not important. It's just that our legs help as travel around the court. Powerful legs are needed in doing correct footwork.

If you don't have powerful lower body, you wouldn't be able to recover from lunges.

If you don't have powerful lower body, you wouldn't be able to jump smash.

If you don't have powerful lower body, you wouldn't be able to stride.

If you don't have powerful lower body, you wouldn't be able to perform chasses and split steps.

15. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    some of the things you said are simply wrong.

i) taller people do not have any advantage over a smaller person in terms of smashing. the only advantage they have is angle. how long your arms are have nothing to do with how hard you can smash. it comes down to leg power, your back, racket speed etc.
    example: jens erikson is one of the tallest people in badminton (over 190cm) yet he cant smash harder than jun jaesung or kido

ii) it is true that you your wrist snap is instrumental in every shot in badminton, especially in overhead shots. however, when smashing, your shoulder must be utilized. im not sure if you have noticed, but after you play badminton for long time, your dominate shoulder will get noticeable bigger. this is from all of the overhead shots that you have done. it's almost impossible to execute an overhead shot without using your shoulder.

iii) concerning your third point, im not sure if you understand the reason of an arched back, or 'curved' back as you said. when you go for a smash, you should be leaning on your back foot and most of your weight should also be resting their too. when you have your chest up, your back naturally arches and this is where you get a lot of your power, when you snap forward right after you make contact.

#15 uncle_peanuts, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Legs don't contribute power to your smashes and clears; your wrist does.

Having strong legs meaning you would be able to sustain long rallies in each game because you have the stamina to move around the court. However, that doesn't mean you can move infinitely because your footwork is also important. If you do not know how to move efficiently, doesn't matter if you have strong legs, you will get tired very soon.

Getting strong legs is not very difficult, simply do jogging, jumping ropes, and walking stairs will help you develop your legs. The difficult part is how to utilize those "weapons" in your game.

17. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    First just want to say thank you for pointing out what i said was wrong Peanuts
    i never said i'm an expert on the stuffs.
    All I said things that listed above is just simply from logical thinking. Of course not everything is able to compare with the same method. So yea, Sorry i suppose.
    And here again my method. u said that tall people doesn't have advantage than the short people, I think that's a bit wrong. Well MAYBE, i'm not sure, but you can't just use players to compare. If you want you must compare with same person (only if some how you able to do it, but i know it's impossible) So anyway of course you can't use players to compare, because different people different body build, I'm a small guy 5'4" but i can beat a football player in arm wrestle, big deal if he's taller or bigger. Therefore, your example is incorrect.
    and when i said quick snap of my wrist, (please let me apologize first, because i do not have any education on human structure) I meant the motion, and I do not know if there is any different between WRIST MOTION and wrist muscle or watever. But anyway, here's my theory. MOTION = power and of course power = motion. So as long as a motion has been made there's a power source to activate it. And of course a motion had been made then the out come going to give us some sort of power =).
    I understand the most power of your smash and shots are from shoulder, I didn't say it wasn't, of course it is from the shoulder, anything that acts as pevit point (hope i write it correctly) then it will add more power. So as my logical thinking only, at your wrist joint, it acts as a pevit point so it should give more power, it shouldn't consider as useless for the smash shot. Come to think of it, the wrist motion is not go opposite of your stroke, so a MOTION that goes the same direction of the flow = power + the flow. And that is how i come up with quicker wrist snap = faster (especially on tight tension racquet)
    And the third point it just simply a plain old guess lol, I just base on a bow, the more you bend the more power it gonna produce. So if you able to bend your body more like a bow it should give you more power ? lol i don't know. I don't know, I really don't care. I was just trying to help, but yea
    HEY if i'm wrong, so sorry.
    Don't take my advice, just consider my post is a time killing material =).

18. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Well having strong legs , means that you can get behind the shuttle , so having more time to implement a full powered shot.

Consider this :

If you have a very powerful smash , but always take the shuttle behind you - you can never implement the full power of your smash , because you will be off-balanced etc.

If you have an average smash , but can get to the shuttle quickly and behind it , then you can implement the full power of your smash most of the time.

19. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    sorry to say, but your legs and core are instrumental to a hard smash. i cant find the video right now, but there is a video on youtube by peter rasmussen showing in very good detail on how to smash properly.

20. krisss

krisss Regular Member

#20 krisss, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009