mp55 and ti3

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bobster, Sep 16, 2002.

1. bobster

bobster Regular Member

Im 15 years old and really getting into badminton. Ive gradually moved up from a wilson racket to a iso 50 then to some old all grafite racket. I plan on playing 3 times a week and hopefuly will sign up for some jr tournements over the winter.

Its time for a new racket and have about $150 cdn to spend, about $100 american. Im interested in the mp55 and ti3. to me it looks like they are heavier rackets. Im not the biggest kid so im not sure if that could hurt me or help me with my clears. What is the difference between the two rackets, is one better? I think i want to stick to yonex, but are there any other suitable rackets in my price range? These rackets probably come unstrung? what should i get them strung with at what tension?

also does anyone know a good place to buy in calgary alberta? i dont think i trust sportcheck.

thanks for any help!:)

2. elippsis

elippsis New Member

Hi,

Both of these racquets are quite good for an intermediate-advance level. Yonex is a really good brand, but with that, comes a heavier price tag. I currently use the Yonex Muscle Power 88, and it is a very good racquet. The ti-3 and the mp55 are very similar, just that the ti-3 does not have the heavier duty muscle power frame, which allows for more power. If you are looking for an alternative, you might want to try Carlton AS-ti, it is only 89 grams (3U weight group, I think...). They claim to deliver the fastest shuttle speed. It is roughly around 100 USD, depending on where you buy it. A lot of racquets come pre-strung when you buy them over the net. I play with Yonex bg-65 string, 22 lbs tension. The bg-65 string is good and is very durable. I think they have bg-65 in titanium now as well. Hope this info helps.:cool:

3. bobster

bobster Regular Member

ya, thanks...anyone else?

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

well if your interested in the mp 55 and ti - 3, by all means buy it. but if your looking for an opinion. then i would like to suggest the new carlton racquets. There's the megaflex series. The megaflexf1ti is the one i currently want. My friend said it's like the airblade 900 which was discontinued. i also like your choice for the mp - 55. that's my opinion...

5. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

Hi, Bobster i've bought the Ti-3 at sports check but i returned it and opted for the MP55

Heres my little comparison

Ti-3 is more flexible and lighter whereas Mp55 is head heavy and more stiff. I like the MP55 as it generates more power. If u play doubles more and u like light rackets u could go for the ti3 which is very manueveable. But if u're gonna spend some money spend it right ^^ i suggest the mp55

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hiya Bobster,
    I'm 17 years old and i play badminton regularly for my unofficial club and my school team. I've used both the rackets your considering and honestly i find that for someone whose just getting into badminton, the Ti-3 is a better choice.

WHY?
    The Ti-3 is quite evenly balanced, not too heavy with a decent sized sweetspot. As opposed to the MP55 which has a larger sweetspot and a heavier head. The MP55 is great for smashing but not so great for everything else, including intercepting shots and those shots that require speed. But if u feel u can manuever it fast enough, by all means go for the MP55. Otherwise go for the Ti-3.

NB/ My recommendation comes from the old Ti-3 not the new Ti-3 Light, haven't tried that one yet.

7. bobster

bobster Regular Member

Thanks everyone. They're stringing my mp55 as we speak with yellow bg65 at 21lbs. They also had the ti3 light there, but i chose the mp 55, they guy at the shop talked me into it(even though it was less $ than the ti-3) because i was a bigger guy and shouldnt mind the weight. I'll try to remeber to tell u how i like it after ive played with it. by the way, i payed $129 cdn, including stringing. is that an ok deal?

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I think you've made the right choice. Byro has a point that Ti-3 is an easier racket to adopt to for a beginner, but MP55 is a better racket and as you improve, you should find that your initial investment a sound one as MP55 will be more than an adequate racket to go all the way into advanced level of play.

I've used Ti-3 before and I must say, it is indeed a light and easy racket to use, but not much more. I prefer the older Cab21 over Ti-3. MP55 on the other hand feels like the legendary Iso800 and isn't far off MP77 in overall performance :cool:

9. action_man

action_man Regular Member

I'm an endangered species, jobs can kill me.
    where did u buy ur racquet? I live in calgary as well...What school do u go to?

10. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

why don't u get a MP77? i heard a lot of good news about it and many top players are using it. i have a brand-new mp55 myself, maybe you can view my current post about the mp55. do a search.
    in between mp55 and mp77, i rather choose mp77 as my racket , but i regret it because i got the mp55 instead.
    foremost, it depends on your skills and physical attributes because the mp55 is quite a head heavy racket though.:)

11. bobster

bobster Regular Member

action man... i go to beaverbrook. i bought my racquet at "whats your racquet" kinda downtownish. ya it seems to be a great racquet since ive had it. i dont find it overly heavy. when i hit a good smash i usually surprise myself. it also seems to be very sturdy.

12. iwannaeatkimmy

iwannaeatkimmy Regular Member

id string any racquet with bg-85 with 22-26lbs depending on what i like on the particular racquet. i think bg-85 is the finest string money can buy. but hey thats me and i havent tried em all.