3x21 rally vs. 3x15 service vs. 3x15 rally scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

?

which scoring system do you prefer?

1. 3x15 old, service scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3x21 current, rally scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3x15 rally scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BWF is on it again. there are now talks about shortening the match even further by reducing the game to 15 points instead of 21 points rally scoring, still 2 out of 3 games.

i think this is going a bit far. 21 is fine. it works, don't fix it.

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Wow no way 15 points will ruin the game!

Their will be no possible way of coming back!And the games will be done too quickly.

I personally hate the idea of it , I think 21 is fine , it encouraged a lot more attacking play - which is good for the interestest of the game , and thus the attacking play of the game requires a bit more stamina than before.

I think they shouldn't shorter it , Kwun have they stated any reasons for it?

I think they should change this scoring system , but I'm not sure how. I think this scoring system is probably an 8/10. I like it , we just have to keep exploring new ideas.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    what is in the BWF brain?
    players with great stamina dont even start to sweat by 15 points.
    will it be no interval rest?

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I thought that the first purpose of the 21 points scoring system , was to bring in adverts or something during the break?

Lol , seriously BWF take it too far sometimes!

5. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

yea i agree 21 is fine... if become 15 points than a match will end sooner... and some players won't hav enough time to get on form... unless they r going back to old scoring system than 15 points is more than enough lol:D...

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the reason stated is the same. shorten the match for TV.

they reasoned that 21pts was too long in a team match like the just finished Sudirman Cup.

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm , I don't think we are going to gain any more TV coverage for badminton by shortening the matches.

First we need to boost the popoularity of it , then look for alternatives to increase TV coverage - I don't think the shortening of matches is the way forward.

Anyway I hope they don't follow through with this idea - as I think it is a bit too drastic.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    bwf should check the calendar, april 1 is still some 11 months away.

Including break time and stops between calls, basketball and hockey games last about 2+ hours. They sure don't lack tv time or sponsorship.

#8 cooler, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah I don't think that BWF should blame the lack of tv time/sponsorship on the long matches when other sports last longer.

I think they should adress other problems to do with the popularity of the sport , other than wasting their time on stupid solutions which I don't think will make a difference.

10. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    the matches at the sudirman cup lasted long because of the difficulties and competition within the groups. this was a GOOD thing. I found the tournament thoroughly exciting and thrilling to watch each and everyday, albiet, long and tiring. If it wasn't a team format (all 5 matches to be played in a tie during round robin), then it wouldn't have lasted as long. But then the entertainment value would be lacking. I spoke with lots of fans that preferred it if China lost their MD so that they could see another match! But definately 21 points is good the way it is. The more you change it, the harder it is to gain a following and the harder it is on the players adjusting.

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    So, when will the players have the break time? at 6th point of a set? cool.

12. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    Things BWF needs to address before they change the length of the games...

1...Make the shuttlecock visible to viewers on TV...BWF is so "stupid"....Tennis did it and look how good they are doing on TV now...Hockey has a black puck on white ice, tennis has the lime green ball and on just about any color court it is easy to see.....Even table tennis changed to bright orange...

2...Better camera angles that show the speed of the shuttlecock

3...More and more and more slow motion

4...Instant replay to check line calls

5...Personal information about the players before they begin match play

13. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    This si stupid. Recently when i played at the Yorkshire Open (Under 16) with this system first to 15 - 3 games. Was completely stupid. Worked crap,put me off my game if i made silly errors at the start of the game then there was no chance to even try and comeback. Maybe if i didn't make some many errors :)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

personally i think badminton in tv media is progressing well. I dont think bwf should over accelerate badminton exposure onto the media scene at the expense of the game itself. One step forward and 1+ step back isn't progress at all.

IOC already ranked badminton as 15-16th spot in their list of OG sports, and guaranteed badminton as an OG to year 2016. Just let time work its job

#14 cooler, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good suggestion and good point about the color of the shuttlecock. bright orange will look great on the dominant green/blue background of badminton. i am all for that.

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha.. Maybe they are going to be innovative and only score points on serve :D :D

5x15 rally would work OK though I think..

/T

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

are u advocating an Orange Revolution?:p

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    My Opinion:

-Like we have said over again many other sports last longer, have longer periods of inactivity, more breaks, less breaks etc.. than badminton. The problem isn't the format. Administrators seem to think it is and focus efforts on this rather than developing the sport in other ways

-More badminton on TV? Surely shortening the matches will reduce the amount (J/k!:D)!!!

-Reducing to 15pts is a reduction of over 25%, the average match in MS say would then be over in less than 30mins.. like others sais this takes stamina as an attribute even further out of it.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The overall length of a match is not the key point. Tennis matches can last for 5 sets, 4-5 hours, no one complained. Baseball can last 3-4 hours, no one complained. So, why badminton has to be singled out again and again.

If they really need to shortern to 15 points, then 15 x 5. ;)

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Orange Revolution [​IMG].
    &
    They should spread the finals over the weekend or even go as far as separate men's and women's tours akin to ATP & WTA but what to do with the mixed then :D. Anyway it's the duration of all the matches combined that's probably the biggest problem, who is going to spend 5 hours of broadcast time on badminton?? So maybe XD final on Friday already, ladies day on Saturday and finish wiz ze men on Sunday [​IMG].

This Sudirman cup is probably the first time I've seen ads during the halfway interval, something else which hasn't been taken advantage of so far ...