User Tag List

View Poll Results: which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
350. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3x15 old, service scoring

117 33.43%
  • 3x21 current, rally scoring

224 64.00%
  • 3x15 rally scoring

9 2.57%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Opinion:

-Like we have said over again many other sports last longer, have longer periods of inactivity, more breaks, less breaks etc.. than badminton. The problem isn't the format. Administrators seem to think it is and focus efforts on this rather than developing the sport in other ways

-More badminton on TV? Surely shortening the matches will reduce the amount (J/k!)!!!

-Reducing to 15pts is a reduction of over 25%, the average match in MS say would then be over in less than 30mins.. like others sais this takes stamina as an attribute even further out of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The overall length of a match is not the key point. Tennis matches can last for 5 sets, 4-5 hours, no one complained. Baseball can last 3-4 hours, no one complained. So, why badminton has to be singled out again and again.

If they really need to shortern to 15 points, then 15 x 5.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orange Revolution .
    &
    They should spread the finals over the weekend or even go as far as separate men's and women's tours akin to ATP & WTA but what to do with the mixed then . Anyway it's the duration of all the matches combined that's probably the biggest problem, who is going to spend 5 hours of broadcast time on badminton?? So maybe XD final on Friday already, ladies day on Saturday and finish wiz ze men on Sunday .

This Sudirman cup is probably the first time I've seen ads during the halfway interval, something else which hasn't been taken advantage of so far ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't make it shorter. If anything, make badminton matches even longer! We need epic tournament finals like Wimbledon 2008. I think 5 games to 21 would be great. Probably exhausting but it would certainly make badminton more of a spectacle and less of a back garden sport in some people's eyes IMO. Can you imaging LCW and LD battling it out over 5 games? *Drools*

LB, test match cricket lasts days and the die-hard cricket fans still watch it lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Orange Revolution .
    &
    They should spread the finals over the weekend or even go as far as separate men's and women's tours akin to ATP & WTA but what to do with the mixed then . Anyway it's the duration of all the matches combined that's probably the biggest problem, who is going to spend 5 hours of broadcast time on badminton?? So maybe XD final on Friday already, ladies day on Saturday and finish wiz ze men on Sunday .

This Sudirman cup is probably the first time I've seen ads during the halfway interval, something else which hasn't been taken advantage of so far ...
    that's what i thot too. Longer matches equal more TV advertisement, and more billboards exposure at the court level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Danstevens;1170918] Can you imaging LCW and LD battling it out over 5 games? *Drools*

quote]

I think this would be crap. The high intensity would make them tired by the 3rd or 4th set and I think the quality of the badminton would suffer for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Swingbadabada;1170956][quote=Danstevens;1170918] Can you imaging LCW and LD battling it out over 5 games? *Drools*

I think this would be crap. The high intensity would make them tired by the 3rd or 4th set and I think the quality of the badminton would suffer for this
    I don't know, maybe they could last 5 games. If not, just keep it as it is now - there's nothing dramatically wrong with it. I still think that if the pros could last 5 games, it would be awesome.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    I think 5 games to 21 would be great. Probably exhausting but it would certainly make badminton more of a spectacle and less of a back garden sport in some people's eyes IMO. Can you imaging LCW and LD battling it out over 5 games? *Drools*
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingbadabada View Post

i think it would be really cool. it is like watching ironman, see who crumbles first. people will be lining up to watch them go jelly leg and then falls and throw up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Danstevens;1170961][quote=Swingbadabada;1170956]
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    Can you imaging LCW and LD battling it out over 5 games? *Drools*

I don't know, maybe they could last 5 games. If not, just keep it as it is now - there's nothing dramatically wrong with it. I still think that if the pros could last 5 games, it would be awesome.
    They probably could last 5 games , but lasting isn't a lot .

The intesnsity they go through - three games is hard enough .

If Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei did go to 5 games I think LCW would win .
    Anyway thats for another debate .

The different colour of the shuttle sounds reasonable - but orange , is a disgusting colour .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i think it would be really cool. it is like watching ironman, see who crumbles first. people will be lining up to watch them go jelly leg and then falls and throw up.
    Lol , perhaps maybe for an exhibition match.

Perhaps they could do that for charity or something? Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan 5 games to 21. Would be a killer match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nooooo! 15 rally points in MD would be over in 5 mins!

In fact, I personally think that it should be 21 points for singles and 25 points for doubles, best of 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Surprised??..

BWF is on it again. there are now talks about shortening the match even further by reducing the game to 15 points instead of 21 points rally scoring, still 2 out of 3 games.

i think this is going a bit far. 21 is fine. it works, don't fix it.
    the reason stated is the same. shorten the match for TV.

they reasoned that 21pts was too long in a team match like the just finished Sudirman Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    what is in the BWF brain?
    players with great stamina dont even start to sweat by 15 points.
    will it be no interval rest?
    ..anyone surprised??..I'm not. If IBF/BWF can modify the scoring system every 2-3 yrs, sure heck they could do it again. If they want to make it short fot TV, then why not make it a 7 pts per game & finish the entire match in less than 15 minutes. By the look of things, don't be surprised if the scoring system goes back to the previous 15 pt OSS format.

Really, i think BWF should concentrate and invest more time in how to expose the game to the rest of the world. Let's see some coverage on tv & major sports network, rather than on a lagged p2p webstream in the middle of the night. I mean, how can people in non-badminton countries see or be exposed to badminton if they don't even get to see the actions on a regular basis.
    On that note, let's hear what Mr. T (taneepak) has to say...

Btw, any source for this news, kwun??
    Last edited by ctjcad; 05-19-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funnily enough when our club nights are too busy we revert to 15 point games, and everyone hates it. You seem to lose flow, and as previously mentioned it's hard to stage a comeback if you get behind.

A change of colour for the shuttle is a good idea though, and while some might say orange looks horrible, (although I quite like the idea) if it works on TV, all the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need best 3 out of 5!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow shorter games will suck.....whats the point in even having a superior class of fitness when its not even necessary anymore...

Keep it as it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing the format to 15 points rally system? Wow, a bit earlier than I expected. Anyways, still playing with the 15-point server score system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL.. imagine MD match 15 points rally.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast