the reason for fielding ZB/YY in SC final

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LYB revealed 3 reason for fielding the scratch pairing of Zheng Bo / Yu Yang instead of Zheng Bo / Ma Jin or He Hanbin / Yu Yang:

- since ZB/MJ has beaten LYD/LHJ a few times at the beginning of the year, KOR must have spend a lot of time studying them. however, they don't know anything about how ZB/YY will play together.

- YY has matured and mentally much more calm since winning Olympics, she can assist ZB with any issues on court

- YY/ZB is still a very strong pair, it is paramount to win the first XD match.

here is LYD's reaction after the match:

- i haven't been bothered with the change of players. i was confident with my form.

- esp in the 1st game, i played very well. unfortunately, they played very very well after that.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, it's all about batting average.
    ma jin is still inexperienced and like u say, the ZB/MJ combo have been studied
    by the KOR. (2 negatives)

YY is a proven product, and in the new combo would remove the comfort factor for the KOR. (1.5 plus)

I think LYB really wanted that no lost match record under his belt

#2 cooler, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i was wondering that myself when i heard the match being announced...i thought a suprise tactic was to bring in Yu Yang, who's got much more experience now playing in a big match, as well as having outstanding net coverage...the difference in the match was probably that zheng bo and yu yang could mold together to form a pretty strong pair and have an attack plan against lee yong dae and lee hyo jung, while the latter probably had to read and react and play...

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is not a massive gamble IMO.

ZB is better male player & YY is better female player. I would say they have more potential than ZB/MJ or HHB/YY since they together should be stronger. Like people say also YY is more strong and experienced so ZB should respect her. She has more OG Gold than him!!

I don't see it continuing though, as HHB/MJ would be weak for a period of time. HHB weakness is coverage, this is ZB strength, and MJ weakness is controlling net and killing off, thus ZB/YY should be perfect combo for CHN.......

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Agree with this. ZB are YY are the best male and female XD players in the Chinese team.

6. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    where does xie zhongbo and zhang yawen stand? are they going to retire?

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

One word..

..sorry, make that 3 words: He Han Bin

I also subscribe to othe notion that perhaps LYB wasn't confident with Ma Jin & Zheng Bo, despite their 3 previous/recent victories over LYD & LHJ (more to do with this being a big match).

Lee Yong Dae will & should learn from this experience, as IMO, 3rd game was still within his & LHJ's reach.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

actually HHB can play md, he just needs a suitable partner;)