Muscles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tonten, Sep 17, 2002.

1. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    A badminton player told me the other day that if you are swing properly, your shoulder muscles should be tired.

I asked him, what about backhand and the wrist and stuff, and he says that for the wrist, it depends on speed or something.

If the tendons in ur arm tire, does that mean u are playing incorrectly?

If you are playing "Correct" badminton, which muscles in your arm should be tired?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if you are swinging correctly, only your leg muscles get tired from moving your 100+ lbs body around. It takes very little effort to hit a 5 gram shuttle, relatively speaking of course. Yes, arms muscles do get tired too but not before the leg muscles.

3. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    hmm... just wondering what exactly do you mean correct badminton, because different types of shot requires different part of arm to assemble although mostly are from wrist and forearm. If you are talking about correct smash, your whole body should feel tire since a correct smash required your body to work as a whole. However, most of time, when I wake up in the morning, the most noticeable part of my body are my wrist, forearm and finger :) if I played few high tension games.

#3 ivan, Sep 17, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For the original question, I would have thought the answer is mainly forearm muscles. These control the fingers and if your muscles aren't used to the repetitive action of finger movement, then forearm will ache.

However, if you are not used to any training, then the shoulder will hurt because of overhead shots.

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I agree with Cooler and Cheung. And i wanna add that when i play, i play quite intensively up to 6 days a week. That was my record, couldn't go onto to 7. Well anyways, the aches normally come in the forearm and not your shoulder.

Because, the majority of the work comes from your forearm and wrist, your shoulder is merely there to give you the ability to choose the right height to play the shot and not to generate power.

However, i did have shoulder aches before after i stopped playing regularly for about a year. But i'm not sure whether my technique was wrong back then or whether its some other reason.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    After stopping badminton for almost 5 years and then picking up again, after the first I played, forearm, wrist and calves bothered me the most. Now I think the only thing that I could complain about is lower back since my style of playing involves a lot of jumping and lunging. Shoulders never really bothers me, according to the posts, I'd be playing "incorrect" badminton all this time?

7. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    Oops, excluding the legs.

I'm just trying to find out, which part of your arm should a person develop to get more powerful at a swing?

And to determine that, I was wondering if you are training and playing intensive badminton, which muscles in your arm will start to tire?

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I would say wrist and forearm probably. I do a lot of rapid exchanges with wall exercises and the forearm is usually the first to be sore. Usually in a game, wrist is the first to feel it if I play games w/ long rallies.