abbeviated names??

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Paul_A, May 19, 2009.

1. Paul_A

Paul_A Regular Member

Student
    I am not sure if this could be enforced, but I would just like to bring it the forums attention that I think that people should stop abbreviating names so much.

I searched for a rants section on the forum and didn't find any, so sorry if this isn't the best section for this post

I've been a member of badminton central for a long time, and I read posts here almost every day; however I don't post that often. Something that has bugged me ever since I signed up here is people are using abbreviations for every single player's name. for example, LD LCW PSH TBH LYB XXF CJ BP TH KKK JP SS PW WCH PG... and so on and so on. Some of these are no brainers to me. LCW LD, however for new people wanting to get to know the internation badminton scene this is a bit of a barrier for learning. Some of these I have to read the context to figure out who they are talking about. Is it so hard to type a few extra characters.
    LD = Lin Dan
    LCW = Chong wei
    PSH = Park
    TBH = Tan
    LYB = LYB (this one is a good abbreviation in my opinion)
    XXF = XXF(also good)
    CJ = chen jin (so short! why are we abbreviating this!)
    BP = Boonsak
    TH = Taufik(everyone recognizes this name!)
    KKK = Koo ( I would hate for people to misunderstand this abbreviation :0)
    JP = Persson
    SS = Santoso
    .... I think you get the idea.

So in conclusion I am not saying lets cut them all out, but lets take it easy on the abbreviations and give these players the recognition we all know they deserve.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps we should have a dictionary of name abbreviation? i think trying to get people to stop doing it from now on will be rather futile an effort.

3. Paul_A

Paul_A Regular Member

Student
    ya, I totally agree.

4. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    And you can sticky it! In the FAQ section :D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

it'll just take a bit of time for people to get used to the players' names & abbreviations..that's all..

for newer players, writing out their full name would be the way to go..

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah thats a nice idea!

When I first joined - I didn't know what some people were talking about :eek: , but then figured it out.

But I defintly think it is a good idea to stop using initials , I will try and stop myself now.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Who do you agree with? the first two posts were two contrasting opinions. Better to quote who you agree with or say the member who you are agreeing with.

Anyhow. I am as guilty as many in abbr. players names. Oldhand likes people to use the full names. Using full names also helps with google searches.

No it isn't a lot more effort, but when the mood strikes and you are desparate to put across your point it just kinda happens.

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i will not spell LH out ....! :mad:

on the abbreviation usage, many do just post their point of view in a very short time or quick post. to spell out each and every player's name is a time consuming too.
    ' today matches are, singles, Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei. mix doubles, Zheng Bo & Yu Yang vs Lee Yong Dae & Lee Hyo Jung ....... '

even the thread titles are using abbreviation name of players.