Home Crowd Factor

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by skchen, May 20, 2009.

1. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

HOME CROWD FACTOR

The results of the recently completed 2009 Sudirman Cup World Team Badminton Championships held in Guangzhou were indirectly affected by the Chinese home crowd support.
    If you were to watch the videos of the matches especially between China and Korea you will notice the roars like these:
    • Roars of approval for the Chinese players when they tackled the shuttles
    • Roars of derision against the Korean players when they tackled the shuttles.
    I am of the view that Park Sung Hwan would have won his match against Lin Dan if the Sudirman Cup Tournament was held in a neutral country.
    The roars of derision affected his side smashes which often went slightly wide and he reacted by glaring at the crowd a few times.
    Home crowd support can help or put pressure on a home player.
    It helped Lin Dan in the Olympics, Taufik Hidayat in the Indonesian Open (6 wins) and Lee Chong Wei in the Malaysian Open (5 wins). The exception for Lee Chong Wei was the 2007 World Championship held in Kuala Lumpur when he lost out to Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the 3rd round. Who could ever forget the 2006 Malaysian Open in Kuching, Malaysia, when Lee Chong Wei came back from 13 – 20 down in the rubber game to beat Lin Dan. The home crowd support for him was tremendous and it pushed him to the limits to win. The claw-back from 8 match points down has so far not been repeated in a singles match. Lin Dan’s reaction to his loss was pathetic. He insulted the organizers by refusing to have the souvenir cap placed on his head by a VIP presenter and immediately taking off the silver medal after it was presented to him.
    Home crowd support is most vociferous in Indonesia and this has helped the Indonesians win their Open Championships many times. In the 27 years from 1982 to 2008, the Indonesians won as follows:
    • Mens’ singles 21 times
    • Womens’ singles 11 times
    • Mens’ doubles 20 times
    • Womens’ doubles 13 times
    • Mixed doubles 14 times
    It is noted that Lin Dan has never won the Indonesian Badminton Open Singles Championship.
    I would add that Asian home crowds are overall not as sporting as European home crowds. The Europeans would applause whenever good shots are executed regardless of the player’s nationality and it would be difficult for Asians to emulate them except for the Japanese crowd.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^CHN has done it before..away from their homeland..^^

recently:
    ..Won SC 2007 in Glasgow, SCO
    ..Won TC & UC 2004 & 2008 in Jakarta, INA
    ..Won TC & UC 2006 in Sendai & Tokyo, JPN
    ..Won UC 2000 in KL, MAS

#2 ctjcad, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

CHN won 7 out of 11, how many times you reckoned that were won at home?

4. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Malaysia, currently, will not benefited much from Home Crowd advantage. I don't feel like saying we'll have a greater chance winning when Thomas Cup will be held here in Malaysia.

But as Lee ChongWei crowned as 'Jaguh Kampung' , ok, Home Crowd could be an advantage for this guy. Lots of help.

5. hashdam

hashdam Regular Member

wow are you serious Park Sung Hwan would of beat lin dan......
    dream on
    Park Sung Hwan cannot beat PG , taufik or LCW let alone lin dan don't find such petty excuses for China's win. They have done it before at different countries. Did China win their past 7 Surdirmen cups at home? Thats the whole reason the Olympics always choose different countries so that they dont favour one country. So what about home advantage ? When Lin dan plays in indonesia he doesnt have home advantage ? LCW doesnt have home advantage when playing at China? Thats the whole reason there are different SS tournments in different countries
    stop making dumb threads about home ground advantage when basically everyone gets a home ground advantage sometime round.

#5 hashdam, May 20, 2009
  6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

oh, come on, let's get rid of this 'jaguh kampung' thingy here;)

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Not easy to win a title, at home nor away......so i personally dont cares 'jaguh kampung' or what.........as long U cant beat me, U are a loser........

People gets too frustrated that U cant be beaten ............so they try to tease U with somethings else.........i pity them........hehehe

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CHN fans know when to lift their players. In that way they are the best.
    It's easy to know when a CHN player is losing. The support gets louder.

MAS fans, on the other hand, want their players to lift them. So when MAS is playing well, the 'boleh' gets louder. When playing badly,there's this dead silence.

So for CHN players , home crowd is always an advantage. Or at tournaments where the crowd support for CHN is very strong, matching intensity without home crowd numbers.

For MAS players, they jolly well start off well and maintain good play to lift the fans to work. Otherwise it's home liability and speedy loss.

LD avoids Singapore because the crowd is usually behind his opponents.(Can't figure out why because the crowd loves ZN so it's not anti-CHN.) BP wouldn't have been able to beat LD without crowd support. It's hard to understand SO crowd behaviour.Maybe they want to see whether LD can win with the crowd against him and LD refused to sit for the test anymore.

But it's possible to win in CHN even against the best home crowd. PG beat LD and WCH won CO once.

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    lol home crowd can help with confidence...but it doesnt make a player out of nowhere outplay someone just because people are yelling "yay wooo go!!"

Park would not have beaten lin dan lol.....on his best points he was stilll struggling to even push lin dan to his limits.
    It would more or less come down to, home courts, familiar surroundings, larger comfort zones. Not just crowds yelling. But yes it does help.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Skchen is not saying LD won't win overseas but it is harder for him to lose in China. Similarly for LCW, it is hard for him to lose in Malaysia.

It is definitely a factor because firstly a player would be more motivated if the home crowd is cheering him on -- the player would not look good if he does not raise his game.

I know I would beat LD if Malaysians are cheering for me ! :):D

#10 X Ball, May 20, 2009
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Home cookin'..

..that's not too bad & not the worst for LD (at least he's attended the S'pore Open & MAS Open over the last 4 yrs). His worst is the INA Open. Other than his Thomas Cup appearance last yr, he's basically avoided attending that tourney since 2004!..;)
    ..well, my point was or is: Home crowd is beneficial but to a certain extent.
    To give another example, INA Thomas Cup team:
    ..Won TC 1998 & 2002 in China

12. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

Thank you for your thorough examination of my views on home crowd support and your comment.
    Who could ever forget the defeat of Lin Dan by Lee Hyun Il in the rubber game of the singles match between them at the 2008 Korean Badminton Open. Was the win not indirectly affected by the Korean home support which motivated and pushed LHI to the limits? Who turned unruly and almost whacked a coach?
    The video of that match speaks for itself.

:D:D:D:D:D

13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

ROFL you are a just a joker.
    Good to see you support lowlife scum cheating umpires :rolleyes:

14. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

stop finding reasons for loser

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    "Could win" is not equal to "Would win".

You can drag LD to New York, even I ask all my follow club members screaming their loungs out, I do not think I can score a point. However, I can still use the statement of "I could do blah, blah, blah..." :rolleyes:

Seriously, LD got most of his titles away from home, and that's the fact and that's why most ppl consider him as the most dominate MS player for the past a few years.

CHN teams sweapt AE 09, captured TC, UC and SC for quite a few times straight, most of such are done in foreign soil as well. All the "coulda, woulda, mighta" can only be considered as "background noise", if no real effort is given. :eek:

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I think it is good to figure out the reasons we lost. Just don't make them turn out to be excuses, worse if they are the lame excuses. It'd be sick.

17. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I don't think it sounds like reasons why China won, or why other countries lost..it just sounds like the OP hates Lin Dan lol...sorry, but that's what it sounds like to me...you could probably say the same thing, but replace Lin Dan with FHF/CY, but that wouldn't make sense, because doubles is all ups and downs...same with mixed doubles...there's even ground somewhere...you can say that about WS/WD...oh wait, you can't ;)...lol jokes aside, it's still very very unlikely...i was cheering for korea, and had my korean victor bag out and everything, and i sat close to the korean bench/court...i know they can hear me cheer for them...yet, they were unaffected..lol..so i don't think it makes all that much difference...despite close to everyone in the stadium cheering for China ;)...if you can tune one person out, you can focus and tune out the crowd...if you're that good...

18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

LOL, I agree with you.

Home ground support certainly help and I don't think anyone would doubt that, but saying PSH could beat LD in a neutral ground is the worst example out of the 3 games played. I, however, believe that the Korean has a very good chance to take MD/XD if the game was played in Korea or else where.

19. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    Or maybe LHI could beat LD in Korea..was that too soon?:rolleyes:;):p:D...wait, I'm NOT the first :p:D...if the line judges were as bad as possible, anyone could beat anyone :rolleyes::D...except us mere mortals xD!!! factors aside, you could be correct, but that's a lotta coulda's...

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

PSH used to beat LD and has beaten him in CHN which LCW and TH have not been able to do yet.
    PSH has not competed for some time so the rustiness showed. But LD has improved a lot (he has to, to defeat LCW) so it's gonna be tough for PSH. Still it's hard to tell. LD was zapping around with confidence in G1 but he showed anxiety in G2. LD thought he would have just breezed past PSH.