Shuttles from/in Singapore!!!!

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Byro-Nenium, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Just to let everyone from Singapore or anyone living in Singapore that there is badminton on tv tonight (Sat 17/2/01) on sportscity at 8pm. Its the Women's doubles final from the Korean open i think.

Sorry to the rest of you. Its because they almost never show badminton on tv here and i thought some fellow shuttles would be interested.

2. May

May Guest

Thanx.

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I just saw it on Cable TV Hong Kong a few days ago. Interesting, you can find all players with no.1 ranking in this event.

It is almost not common to have badminton tv programme in this region of the world.

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very very sorry!!!! The badminton is tomorrow night not tonight. Sorry for the mistake....... tomorrow 8pm

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Only the women's doubles????? Darn that Sportscity... I still have a score to settle with them for delay telecasting all the badminton matches at ungodly hrs during the Olympics.... I had to depend on one bottle of medicated oil and one box of chocolates to stay awake till 4am!!!!!! Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Thanks anyway =)

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I think they did that because they were telecasting it lives from Sydney.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I bet there would be more badminton on HK tv in a week than there is on Singapore tv in a year.

Singapore barely ever telecasts badminton. The only sports they telecast is Football(Soccer), Golf and some times the XFL. I'm annoyed by this especially when Sportscity say they have all the sports.......

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's odd. Singapore is surrounded by countries of badminton; Indonesia and malaysia

9. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
  10. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Impossible.... Sydney is only 2 hrs ahead of/behind us (can't remember which).
    Probably coz there aren't enuff sponsors.

11. Lim

Lim Guest

Thanks folk, inspite of the so-call aspiration by government, not much support,
    aspiration end up daydreaming

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The matches were not very interesting. Perhaps I get more enthusiasm with the really big tournaments. The Korean crowd seemed quite subdued until the men's doubles came on. Then high pitch screaming could be heard.

I thought Xiao Hui used a cab 20 ahich was quite interesting. (Sorry to bore you guys about cab 20,,yet again!)

13. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Probably.........

14. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Saw half the women's doubles on TV.... must say you are right. I miss Ge Fei and Gu Jun... was never really a China supporter but watching them play is very inspiring. And the stadium looked quite bare, at least from what I saw.

Didn't catch the mixed, which was what they telecasted later on. Had a fight with my parents over the TV which I lost =(
    To anyone who saw it, did Sportscity show any other matches????

Talking abt men's doubles, I hope that Lee/Yoo will be able to defeat Kim/Ha at least once this year. Heard some commentator say that they had been runners-up to their compatriots FIVE times bwt '99 and 2000. I always feel a bit sorry for the side that loses. And I'm quite tired of seeing Kim on the winner's podium so often. To the experts out there, anyone has any idea why one team always beats the other without fail?

Sorry if it's a stupid qn....

15. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Badminton programme is not common in HK either. Cable TV did telecast a several ones in a year (but it is a paid service), however there is one very bad thing for badminton programmes shown on Cable TV - they cut a lot of and they usually only show those final games.

Star TV also telecast badminton programme occasionally, and they usually show the full game. Unfortunately my VCR still can't record those programmes from Star TV (as they use Pal ?.?? and my VCR does not support it).

16. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I agree that those matches themselves are not very interesting (I have fallen asleep in the middle of the programme, perhaps I was too tired on that day). However since it is so rare to have badminton TV programme shown, I was so excited because at least, I have a chance to see all those top rank players played. You know, there are some famous players which I still never see them actually playing ... -:(

There is no chance to see the game between Peter Gade and XIA Xuanze, I guess it may be an interesting game. Among all the games that were shown, I found the 1st half of 1st game of men double was the most interesting - the continuous and fast attack by Lee/Koo is really enjoyable to watch. It's too bad that they seemed to be restricted by Kim/Ha after 8 points of the 1st game.

p.s. It seems that Ti Swing Power is very commonly used.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am not sure that it is Ti swing Power.
    It may be Ti 10 with the red colour not showing up well on TV.

I say this because I thought Camilla Martin was using Ti Swing Power but subsequent info says Ti10.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think Lee is the weaker link. Many times I have noticed that when going backwards from the the T position, he is unable to smash effectively. More like a half smash which is steep and will keep the attack but not so much pressure on the opponents.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Strange. I have no problem with recording from StarTV. It's just that the quality of transmission of Star Sports is way inferior to other Star channels. That's quite strange.

In Malaysia, the Star Sports transmission is very good.

20. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Star TV here uses Pal 4.5 Mhz to broadcast (all other HK TV stations use Pal 6.0 Mhz). While my TV can accept Pal 4.5 Mhz, my VCR does not (even though it said that it is multi-systems VCR).