Power Gel anyone?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mongoose, Sep 17, 2002.

1. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Has anyone tried taking one of those Power Gel (Fast Fuel) by PowerBar?
    Do they really work?
    They are supposed to contain electrolytes etc to replenish lost energy blah blah blah... :)

They cost about S$2.60 here in Singapore!

2. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Here a pic:

Attached Files:

3. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Im not into that stuff, doesnt improve my game at all so I dont use it.

4. modious

modious Regular Member

It's a drink? Seems something like 100Plus or H2O or Gatorade.
    I think it may work to a certain extent only!

But then again, different pple different effects and respond to thing differently.

One of my friend can't take Milo, Coffee, Tea, or Red Bull in the evening or night or else he can't sleep at all! But if I drink any of the above (except Red Bull which takes me about 1 hour before I can sleep), I am able to sleep.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Personally never really tried these things but numerous friends of mine use them and they claim they work. Well, they mainly use them for working out in the gym, like weight lifting and stuff. Power Gel sounds like gatorade. :)

6. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I take running a lot more seriously than badminton. What I tell you about my experience from running is that Power Gel is used frequently by runners in their long training runs or races (when I say long runs, I mean runs that are 18 miles or more). As you're running, your body will use up your glycogen. Once glycogen runs low (usually for trained runners, glycogen will run low around the after running for 20 miles), you will 'hit the wall', meaning that your brain will sends a signal to your body, telling it that glycogen is low, and you must walk the remaining distance rather than running it.

Power Gel, which is taking during (rather than before or after a run) can be quickly converted into glycogen to be consumed by your body, thus delaying the time when your body will 'hit the wall'. But "hit the wall" is not a very common thing along badminton players, therfore, I wouldn't recommand it. Besides, I know a lot of runners hate th taste of power gel.

Power Bar, is a different story though. It tastes pretty good. I see no harm if we treat it as a nutritious snack and have a couple of them prior to a tournament.

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Power Gel sounds like something you might rub on your arm to give you harder smashes!:D

UnlimitedPower likes this.
  8. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    I never used Power Gel when I play badminton but I used them when I was cycling. I think you can see it as a energy food/drink in between of Power Bar type and Gatorade. You will absorb Gatorade the fastest but it doesn't last you very long and you can't drink whole lot of them else you'll get stomach cramp. Eating Power Bar(energy bar) provide a lot of energy but it takes time to digest them. Gel is just something in between.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. Gels are very good if you want to have a quick refill. they last longer than gatorade and shorter than PowerBar. they take around 10-15 mins to start being effective, PowerBar usually around 45mins-1hours.

i see Gels as the remedial step for forgetting to eat properly. i much prefer to plan ahead and eat PowerBar instead of eating Gel during the game.

and PowerBar does help, it not only help physically, but with more energy available, it helps mentally as well. i find that i am more alert if i eat a PowerBar before an evening worth of badminton.

10. Jay

Jay Regular Member

Student
    I tried it once it tastes ok but i found it didnt really make a difference its not really worth the price. My Friend had two and gave me one.