triumphant screaming - love it or hate it

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chilli, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Personally, I hate the predatory triumphant screaming and fist-pumping by some pros, like LinDan, during the early part of the game. I don't mind the Taufik's low key and LCW's conservative style, until the well-deserved winning point at the end.

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I am disgusted by people who flagrantly celebrate, especially in proffesional sports. You aren't a three year old girl, you are a grown adult man, so act like one. Unless it's the stanley cup, but that's a different thing altogether.

#2 chewablemorphin, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    i dont go over the top but i make sure i express my energy. If your fired up and win a solid point there is no reason why it is wrong. Normally il just give a small fist movement and a quick SAA or something. When i win the game it depends on who iv played and how much of an achievement it was as to how i react.

Most of the time im a more calm collective winner. At training i dont fire up at all its pure fun. But in competition i do let my energy flow.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Umm...nobody screams and fist pumps, but more like as they walk around they just clench a fist... and LD isn't that bad because he doesn't yell and scream while facing his opponents...mostly keeps his celebration to himself.

5. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I think it is very good to express yourself on court, but it should NEVER be used to upset the people on the otherside of the court. Shouting, jumping clenching of the fist or even raising of the fist is fine to me as long as he or she does it facing the other side and not directly at those he/she is playing against. I dont do these things coz i think it is a waste of energy but it is fine if others want to be more expressive...just dont do the Koo Koo to often...

6. hduong

hduong Regular Member

No need to scream. Just a little yes or high five with my partner is fine. I speaking from a advanced recreation level.

7. headphones

headphones Regular Member

I completely agree, badminton is a gentleman's sport, so we should keep it that way. That's the way it was 300 years ago, and that's the way it should stay.
    For example, the way Fu Haifeng and Cai Yun celebrated when they won the Surdiman Cup 2009: pathetic! What kind of grown man would celebrate in that fashion, it's a total turnoff. Keep your celebrations within, don't show any emotion, it's not like they won anything significant.

In terms of "screaming" for pumping oneself up or encouraging a teammate, give me a break. It's not like it does anything, it's just making noise. Any player who needs such noises/cacophony to pump themselves up are not worthy of a world ranking. The OP brought up a good example, LCW is a true gentleman and I greatly appreciate his control over his "noises" vs his Team China counterparts.

8. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman

My sentiment exactly!!

9. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Could this be why badminton has yet get recognized for the last hundred years? People who play this sport is generally t0o conservative and the sport looks dull to the others.

And do we have to criticize everything the Chinese player does to make the bolehian nation looking good. :rolleyes:

10. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    No, we just don't like grown men acting like children. Being an adult has nothing to do with this sport not being a highly televised/mainstream.

11. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I wouldn't say that the Sudirman cup is not "anything significant". However, I do agree that some players take things too far with their on-court celebrations. I don't mind hearing the odd "yes", "hey", "saa", etc., if someone won a very long, hard-fought point. Unfortunately, many players do these things after almost every rally...and it gets a little bit annoying.

whatAHassle likes this.
  12. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    If my opponent is yelling every rally, I would get annoyed also. But if I am frustrated in a game, giving a little yell takes some of it out of my system.

13. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Then according to your standard, you must hate Koo KK even more when he screamed like a b*tch every time he did an overhead shot during the Sudirman cup matches.;) He screamed worse than some of those Japanese AV actresses.:rolleyes:

14. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    KKK doesn't parade constantly after every point like he's already won the match...at least his actions don't stand out like some others....IMO!

15. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    What do you have to say when football players celebrate like mad when they score a goal during a match(before the match is even finished)?:rolleyes:

LCW is part of the reasons why badminton is being viewed as a sissy sport played by skinny weak Asians.:rolleyes:

16. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Oh really... that's why I admire the way bolehians think, completely double standard.:rolleyes:

By the way, I think KKK's actions do stand out more than others... check this out! http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...1&d=1242492087 :cool::cool::cool:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Couple of sens...

..i'm sure it's not only the Chinese players who celebrate like there's no tomorrow every time they win their match. Korean players, or for that matter players from other countries also celebrate as if they've just won the whole thing whenever they win their match. Check out the pics in the 2009 Sudirman Cup sub-forum/section.;)
    I guess it's down to the individual's personality and style and emotion. After a long hard and strenous battle, i'm sure expressing and letting go of the stored up emotion is quite natural.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think the odd glimpse of emotion is very important - it shows that the lads and lasses are enjoying the game, which makes it better for us watching. Celebrating after a very long rally, for example, is perfectly permissible in my book.

Peter Gade or a pair like Rasmussen/Paaske is a good example - low key high-fives (no pun intended:p) after routine points, and a bit more after epic ones.

19. akryl1k

akryl1k Regular Member

Your arguement is stupid. Football and badminton uses two very different scoring system. In badminton it's a must for one of the two sides to score each point from 0 to 21, or more. But in football, a goaless match can occur. Badminton is not time limited whereas football is a match where you score as many goals as possible in the allocated 90 minutes. So each goal can be seen as a victory when you defend like Italy afterwards.

As for the overcelebration, I don't care what the China team did. But personally I would be annoyed if my opponents celebrated each point like they have won the game. How would you feel? It's like that phrase "being kicked when you're down". Moreover it's worse if they celebrate after a shuttle caught on the net.

20. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Does a jump if pleasure and a high five with a big smile sound like a game-winning celebration:rolleyes::rolleyes:. A game winning celebration is when the rackets fly up and the opponents fall down yelling and cheering. Um, i don't think any play does that after every point.

BTW, a couple reasons why some matches of badminton are less appealing to the new generation:
    1) Ugly clothes
    2) no emotion from players
    3) no cheering, only dead silence and clapping

Um....all of this "gentlemanly" crap is pretty much what held badminton back for so many years IMO. Manners are important yes, but totally emotionless, silent, and worse audience participation that golf these days are a total turn off from anybody who wants to be excited when they watch and play badminton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.