Looking for a good offensive racket?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eddie Weems, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Eddie Weems

Eddie Weems Guest

Hey everybody, I just started playing badminton about 4-5 months ago, and I've fallen in love with it. I currently posses a Pro Kennex carbo 727 stiff flex and I like it a lot. However, I have no idea what a "good" racket is. Hahahaha, I just went out and purcahsed one for about 65-70 dollars, one that was relatively light weight and looked nice. Anyway, can anyone suggest a racket which would be more suited for a smashing / driving player like myself? And if this will suit me good for right now ( High school badminton ) Then just let me know that what I have is fine for right now. Thanks.

Eddie - U.S.A

2. Don

Don Regular Member

If you're comfortable with what you have now then why buy another racquet?

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I agree with Don, there is nothing better than having a raquet that you are used to using. I''ve gone through about 5 different raquets in the past 2 or 3 months and that has served me no good in my game. finally, i overcame my ignoreance and stuck to one raquet....once i got used to this raquet, my game derastically improved.
    the requet needs to seem as if it is an extension of your hand, and u should know the raquet so well that u can hit the sweet spot everytime. this take about a week or 2 to figure out with constant playing

4. Mark

Mark Guest

If you are comfortable with your racket then, as has been said, carry on.

The two main things I would possibly think about are these:

1. There is an option with many new rackets to opt for a 'Long' Shaft, which are typically 10mm longer than regular shafts.

2. Most players have a preference between Classic(egg shape) head design and Isometric(squared egg type shape).

I would suggest you try and play some games with these types of racket as you my find a natural preference for one of them. Personally, I would get a 'long' shaft now so you can get used to it now, rather than trying to make the transition later.

If after playing with some rackets featuring these design features you feel that they don't really offer much added performance, then just leave it until you've been playing for a year and know more about your game.

Enjoy the game, I love it too.

Mark