technique on deceptive shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gold-, May 23, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    what is the step to do a deceptive net drop shot or lob. how do they do the double movement?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Deception is all about making your opponent think you're going to play one shot when in fact, you're going to do something completely different.

Deception on overhead strokes is really quite simple. Use the same basic setup for all three basic forehead overhead shots - the dropshot, the clear and the smash. If all three look pretty much the same until the very last second, your opponent will have to wait longer before making his move or may just mis-read it entirely. Use the way you clear as the basis for your dropshot wind up. So start with your racket in the same position and only take the speed out at the very last moment. Slice will help to bring the dropshot down quicker and more sharply. Do the opposite with the smash - look like you're going to clear and only put the pace and angle on at the very last moment. It's not easy but once you master it, you'll find you're able to control rallies more easily.

As for deception on netshots and lifts, the principles are similar to the ones of the overhead shots. If you're going to play a netshot and want to fool your opponent in to thinking you're hitting a lift, approach the shuttle with speed. Once you're there, take quite a quick swing before slowing it right down and adding slice to bring the shuttle down tightly. Grip your racket loosely to help you take the speed out. When doing the opposite and making a lift look like a netshot, approach the net fairly slowly but with purpose and still make sure you get there with enough time left to hit a good shot. Take a slow swing and then use a flick of the wrist to send the shuttle high and to the back of the court.

Hope I've helped.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Practice shd help. u need to have good wrist power. Not recommended for non advance players. U'll make a fool of yourself. People may not like you as they may perceive you as being arrogant. Play safe shots. ;)

4. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

My favorite deceptive shots are when receiving a short serve: I am like going to play a net shot, but instead I hit a fast sliced drive to the rear end of the court. Very efficient and simple to execute :)

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Danstevens pretty much explained the deception for shots.

I just want to elaborate on the net shot. A key part to the deception is the change from a loose grip to gripping the racket hard.

Normally when playing deception , people aproach the net shot - the move the racket down with the shuttle then flick the opponent , this makes the opponent think their is going to be a net shot , but in fact their isn't.

But this isn't really a good net shot , this requires too much time , and isn't always executed niceley.

Instead the player should approach the shuttle with a loose grip , still not giving the shot away and then , if wanting to play a net , play it without gripping the racket too hard , and if wanting to flick grip the racket hard , with a lot of wrist.

This brings in a lot more deception. It uses a lot of finger power , and wrist power - but I love this shot :). And when my opponent runs back like a headless-chicken :p.

6. Vincentlam

Vincentlam Regular Member

Student
  7. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    thx for the guide

8. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    what is a flick? how u do it?

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Flick is like using a piece of paper and fanning yourself....Similar.....

10. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    get to the bird, dont wait for the bird come to you. So you have more time to make the deceptive shots. deceptive shots is not effective when the bird and the contact point too low (the tape net line) because it would take longer distance for the bird to travel, that means more time for your opponent to reach. So if you want to do deceptive shots, that is one of an idea to help.

11. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    This is VERY true. If you are a non-advance player: once you get into the habit of attempting trick shots, it is difficult to revert back to playing shots normally. And because you do not have the experience yet to play a trick shot at the right time/ still not consistent with playing normal shots, all of your plays will end up being crappy and it will totally screw up your form.

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

13. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member

may I know how to execute the below deceptive shot as shown in youtube? .. I hv seen the clips several times, and even practised the shot .. but I still couldn't get the concept / technique correctly ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7osX6m1h5E

also could u also please share with me any interesting deceptive shots u hv known?

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7osX6m1h5E
    it's a lift, a high level player would jump back and do something about it,
    and basicly it just a backhand form put out infront, and flick your wrist around to hit it as a forehand face of the racquet, by that usually it should trave to your right hand side only, you could make to the left watever you want but take more angle of your wrist.
    that should only be using in single. And again if you're getting it at the net, it just simply a no no if you get at low down on your waist line. Only if you do the drop shot like peter gade, then sure.

15. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member