Arm friendly racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Danstevens, May 23, 2009.

1. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone, sorry for not posting here too much of late. Anyway, I'd like some advice please. This morning, I played a 4 hour session and for the most part, I was fine. However, in the last hour, I noticed a horrible twinge in my elbow and now I've come off court, my left elbow (racket arm) hurts to move or do anything with.

Normally, I'm fine with my Karakal MTec 70 with added mass and NBG-95 at high tensions. I don't think it's my current racket setup that's causing the problem - I'd say the pain probably has more to do with my elbow taking quite a harsh knock on Thursday and badminton has just aggravated it. I really don't feel too good about playing this week and so, I probably won't but when I get on court, I'd like a comfy racket so as to not hurt my arm until it recovers fully. If the pain persists, I will see a doctor, so there's no need to post that :p

So anyway, I suppose an arm friendly racket is even balance or a little bit either way - not too head heavy or too head light. Moderate weight, flexible and strung at a low to medium tension with a soft string. Can anyone recommend a racket like this or something else that they have found to be arm friendly? I suppose an arm friendly string setup would be natural gut at about 24Lbs - not cheap but if it lets me play whilst recovering, I think it's worth it. Oh and as for a racket budget, the cheaper the better as I doubt I'll like the arm friendly racket as much as my current setup. If something's worth paying for, I'll pay, I just don't expect to use the racket for too long.

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    dear Danstevens,
    i am not familiar with Karakal rackets. you may look Karakal racket that fit your requirements. or, what is that "added mass"? can you take it off to reduce load to your arm? or get another MTec70 "plain" + medium tensioned string?
    :)

3. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    I'm not really well informed about all this, but I think arm friendly string would be the tension that fits best for you, if the tension is too high, you won't able to generate power and have to try swinging it harder, which is bad and makes your arm more tired, as for tension not high enough, you won't get as much power as the higher tension and your shot would be weak and won't be strong either. You need try out what tension is best fit for you and you should know by the technique you use.

As for the racquet, lighter racquet or head light are the one that I would consider arm friendly as I doesn't strain too much your arm when you smash a lot. But in this case, you have to consider that light racquet will reduce power. You should just take the racquet that will fit your gameplay or just train your technique better to prevent injuries by hitting the shuttlecock and don't overdue it.

Maybe the added mass might hurt your arm more. Just try with your current racquet and see if it still hurt, if not, then rest a little bit more. If you insist on playing, get a light racquet.

This may be too much but, a NanoSpeed would be a good racquet to use.

4. Danstevens

Student
    I think it'll be too light without any lead added to it and just cause me more problems due to having to try swing it fast.

BUnstable, I don't have a problem with the racket/string setup normally, I just think a more arm friendly racket would help me recover more quickly. I would've just thought that a lower tension would give a softer string bed than high tensions and so, not put so much strain on my arm.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Dan,

If you have something like tennis elbow, both the force you use in your swing and the swingspeed can aggravate your injury. Since all badminton rackets are light (compared to an axe or a jackhammer), I think you are right in assuming that a slightly head-heavier racket that you can swing slowly might be a lesser evil than a head-light one that you have to accelerate faster.

That being said, I would really suggest a couple days rest, icepacks, anti-inflammatory and, if necessary, see a physio or a doc. Why risk making a temporary nuisance a chronic annoyance? :)

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Like Fidget says, if it's tennis elbow, or any other kind of muscle / ligament damage, you really shouldn't be playing - those kind of injuries won't heal if you don't rest them.

If it is just a knock though, then it'll probably be alright in a week or two anyway.
    Is it really worth buying a new racket?
    Can't you just borrow one from a friend?

I guess if you do want something really cheap, then the Ashaway Nano Dynamics are actually pretty good, and should come with reasonably decent strings (at low tension ofc).
    Failing that, maybe one of these: http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/..._Prince+TT+Whisper+=2858310=29&urlc=badminton
    It might be a bit defensive for you, but at least you could always sell it on to me if you don't like it ;) (mine hasn't been quite the same since a stringer bent the frame out of shape).

7. Danstevens

Student
    I don't think it's tennis elbow - my technique is pretty good and I've never had any arm problems before but I'm still gonna take the rest of the week off from all racket sports and if need be, see a doctor.

I do think the problem was caused when I got attacked and thrown to the ground on Thursday and badminton has just aggravated it. This morning, it still doesn't feel any better so I think perhaps it's more than a knock but not anything like tennis elbow. Just out of curiosity, would you notice signs of tennis elbow before you actually had full symptoms?

Sketchy, I'll have a look in to that Prince. When I'm better, I'll play with a kinder racket for a bit just to make sure everything's fine. Plus, it's not too expensive and looks pretty cool lol.

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

With tennis elbow it is almost always symptoms before signs.
    The swelling is often quite subtle.

Olecranon bursitis, on the other hand, often shows swelling before significant pain....if it's from chronic use as opposed to a trauma.

But a smart guy like you knows your anatomy and should be able to tell if your problem is tendon vs bony. I agree with your rest plan.:)
    _____
    BTW what happened? :( I know there are Football hooligans in the UK, but were you attacked by badminton hooligans? Sorry, I shouldn't pry. I'll just imagine cliches about Britain and assume you were wounded valiantly saving a Damsel (with bad teeth) from a Dragon (with a Cockney accent) in a wild swashbuckling melee (outside a pub).;)

#8 Fidget, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009