Good for money shuttlecocks in UK?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by aa777, May 24, 2009.

1. aa777

aa777 Regular Member

anyone know any shuttlecocks that good for money in UK?

2. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

Do you have any special requirement? Like for beginner, club playing or tournment.........

3. aa777

aa777 Regular Member

the reason for me to ask this question is because recently the price of shuttlecocks go up and up and up. yet, the quality of shuttlecock go down and down and down. those big names such as RSL, snow peak are not the same as what i have used in the past. the most noticeable difference is the durability. sometime within 1 match you need to change 2-3 shuttlecocks (may be is because of my skill).

well, yonex is good but price is expensive and i feel like there must be some other brand in this world should be cheap (compare Yonex) and good in quality.

My club is base in West London and i am interimediate player. so if any good suggestion i will have a try.

4. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

May be you can try YangYang 99A or 2000B, their 300B is top range and approved by IBF. The quality is nice, specially the durability.

5. genghiskt

genghiskt Regular Member

If you have volume, PM me. I have good shuttle to export.
    ;)

6. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

Yang Yang Shuttlecocks - 99A & 2000B

I just found the Yang Yang shuttlecocks in Ebay, the seller has good feedback, item location is in UK, not in China, may be you can try from them, this is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YangYang-99A-Tournament-Grade-Feather-Shuttlecocks-Club_W0QQitemZ120424257446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Badminton?hash=item1c09d857a6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A2108|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

7. aa777

aa777 Regular Member

anyone in UK know Jinque? if you guys have experience pleaseeeee share. cos i have sick of using expensive shuttlecocks.

thanks

8. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    Snow peak Shuttlecock

hi, have u tried snow peak, this brand been in uk for the last 25 years, and it been a good quality shuttle. used by most of clubs in london. check it out on snowpeakbadminton.com

9. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    what do mean snow peak is one the most durable shuttle ask any club in london, some club use one shuttle for two games.

10. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

yang yang 99a review

Yesterday, I tried Yang Yang 99A. When I looked at it externally, I felt it is very delicate and fine in detail. Straight a way, you can imagine that those feathers must be carefully selected. The frame is strong but is not rock hard. If you slightly press the frame, you will feel it has elasticity. That means during the match, your shot is more dynamic.

After a match (I won 21-15), I noticed 2 things. First, it is the sound comes out from the shot. The sound is loud and clear. It has a “bong” sound. “Bong” sound mean that the shuttle can withstand your hitting power. And the structure of the shuttle is still firmly intact. Of course string tension will have effect as well. Secondly, the shuttle fly consistently and accurate as well. I remembered when I served; I can clearly see the tip of each feather from my court. That means the shuttle didn’t have any irregular movement.

However, one thing you guys need to be aware of, in my opinion I think 99A more suitable for intermediate / advance player. It is because when you miss hit the shuttlecock a few time result into 1 or 2 feathers break off. This is the time the shuttle fly funny. E.g. speed will slow down suddenly, shuttle spinning etc. On the other hand, funny enough if you are able to hit it accurately the shuttle can last for much more than you can imagine.

Overall, surely Yang Yang 99A is a very high quality shuttlecock. Flight accuracy and fight consistency reach the highest level. The impact feel is very realistic and very firm. Shuttle durability is good (depend on your skill). The more importantly, the price is very low. I am very happy using this kind of money to buy such good quality shuttlecocks.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YangYang-99A-Tournament-Grade-Feather-Shuttlecocks-Club_W0QQitemZ120424257446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Badminton?hash=item1c09d857a6&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

11. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

share the experience using yang yang 99a

finally i have a chance to use yang yang 99a, externally, I felt it is very delicate and fine in detail. The frame is strong but is not rock hard. It has elasticity. The shuttle fly consistently and accurate. The impact feel is very realistic and very firm. Shuttle durability is good. also the price is quite cheap. i strongly recommend it. however, just feel that is more suitable for intermediate / advance player.

i think in UK there just 1 place you can buy that which is ebay.co.uk. have a look.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The real test is to subject it to the "Testing a shuttle for speed" test. No matter how good or expensive it is, if it cannot reach the range distance then how can it be good?

13. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    i quite agree taneepak,

i recently bought 50quids worth of aeroplanes, some red, some green, and some black. all were great in consistency, and flight, and durability, but all landed a gud meter at least short of the mark. was crap, literally, trying to clear back to back was impossible, bare in mind some of us are county level, to not be able to hit these shuttls to the back was just silly.

needless to say i shant be buying anymore aeroplane shuttles.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There is a good and fundamental reason why there are two markers on either side of the court for testing the speed of the shuttle. It is a sort of shuttle "compass", similar to the use of a gray card for optimal dynamic range and proper exposure in photography. But, unlike a gray card which is calibrated dead in the middle, in badminton the shuttle speed test markers "sets" the maximum distance a player can hit from low to high. Once you have "calibrated" the right shuttle you can then hit shots from end to end, thus "stretching" the extra space that was never available with incorrect speed shuttles. The game opens up more space and is more enjoyable.
    For beginners who are used to playing with cheap, heavy, and hard shuttles, changing to better shuttles that give the correct speed may need some adjustment as many will complain they often hit out-but that is only when they hit shots that are half-a-length short. Their lack of control in such shots are due to old habits from playing too long with incorrect speed shuttles.
    It is not possible to make very good shuttles from either low grade feathers, base, resin/glue. It is also not possible to make very good shuttles from the best goose feathers of the wrong type. A good shuttlecock is like a bird in flight, and any bird that can fly higher has feathers that are built for lift and flight whereas a low flying goose will have perfect feathers that are even better than those from high-flying geese but they do not give much "lift", hence they are not ideal for top quality badminton shuttlecocks. Low-flying geese have feathers that are picture perfect that they look like God's work. But they are used for low end shuttlecocks.
    A shuttle must not be too light or too heavy. Although a range of 4.74 g to 5.50 g is often given, the best weight is about 4.8 g to 5.0g. However, only very good feathers with high lift and good flight weighing 4.8 g can be hit effortlessly from end to end. Lower grades need at least 5.0 g or even more.
    As a rough rule a speed 77 shuttle should weigh not more than 5.0 g to hit from end to end. If one speed 77 shuttle weighs 4.8g and another speed 77shuttle weighs 5.1 g, and both reach the same distance on a speed test, then the shuttle weighing 4.8 g is a much better shuttle. The reason is that feathers with high lift, provided they also have good "bend" or straight shaft, encounter less air resistance. That hard feeling shuttlecocks is your feedback that your shuttle is facing very heavy air resistance. It has minimal lift and will fall onto the floor faster and with a thud. If you play too long with such shuttles you may be unknowingly slipping into the plastics shuttlecock type of badminton game.

15. chunkwok

chunkwok Regular Member

oic, thanks a lot taneepak, for such detail information. let me use the speed test to test the Yang Yang shuttlecock. and i will tell you guys what the result is.

also, just wondering anyone used any Yang Yang shuttlecock? if yes hope you guys can share your experience.

16. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    Can u tell me which club and how many clubs in london or UK use yang yang shuttles, u also thinks its better then Snow Peak Shuttle.

17. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Snowpeak

How much are your snowpeak shuttles Mr.G?

I run a junior club and senior and would be interested in purchasing some.

Would you consider sending a sample?

18. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I'm not sure what you expect to get out of the speed test in determining the quality of the shuttle.

Hall temperature & humidity effects air density which changes how far the shuttle flys. You just select the speed of your shuttle to adjust for it.
    Tournaments normally start the day with a chosen Pro testing 3 speeds of shuttle. Whichever falls closest to the service line is normally used for the rest of the day. It doesn't mean that the other two speeds are poor quality.

Normally a new shuttle fresh out of the tube is always going to fly well & it's really the durability of the feathers that your paying for.

Snowpeak shuttles do have a good reputation around the West London area as a lot of clubs were buying them from Wembley sports. When Wembley sports shut down a lot of clubs in my area have struggled to find a comparable shuttle. Our club settled on Yehlex shuttles & they have impressed visiting clubs during our matches, I know a few other clubs are now using them.

Amir has resurrected Snowpeak distribution & they're now available again in the UK. Best of luck to him & thanks for giving us the option.

P.S. I'm not associated with Yehlex or Snowpeak.

19. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
    could u email me on aamir15@btinternet.com , you can check out the shuttles on snowpeakbadminton.com

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Of course speed test is very important. That is why they do this before every tournament. Altitude has the greatest effect on shuttle speed. Temperatures and humidity have minimal effect of about one speed range. Discounting altitude, a hall within 22 degrees C to 29 degrees C will find speed 77 acceptable. A temperature lower than 22 degrees C to say 15 degrees C should use speed 78. A temperature higher than 30 degrees C and high humidity will find speed 76 better.
    With the above guidelines, you can then determine the quality of the shuttles by doing the shuttle speed test. Different brands of shuttles of the same speed can then be evaluated for their real quality with the shuttle speed test. Those that make it are good quality; those that don't are not so good; and those that fall well short are training shuttlecocks. You can further determine which of those that pass the speed test are the better ones. Shuttles that weigh less are of much higher quality than those that weigh more, assuming both pass the speed test and travel similar distances. In the latter case it is the lift quality of the feathers that is the key.
    Besides the above which does not cover durability, there is also the issue of durability. In general more expensive shuttlecocks, both duck and goose feathers, are more durable because of the use of natural resin as glue. At the highest quality level goose feathers have an edge over duck feathers on durability. But a high quality duck feather shuttlecock using natural resin as glue will outlass a grade B goose feather shuttle using chemical glue.
    Lower grade goose feathers shuttlecocks use thick feathers and they seem to be more fragile than their thinner feathers goose brothers.

Jake Levent likes this.