What Goes Through Your Head When You Are Facing a Pro

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by FirstSecond, May 24, 2009.

1. FirstSecond

FirstSecond Regular Member

Student
    Alright (I have a tournament coming up soon, and there are going to be 1 or 2 PROS there), I have a question for you guys.

Let's say you are playing in a tournament, and you are facing a pro (Ranked Nationally let's say) that you know is 100 times better than you. What goes through your head while you are playing against him?

When I am facing a pro player, I usually go,

"Don't screw up, Don't screw up, Don't screw up, Don't screw up... OH **** I SCREWED UP!"

I'm just curious. Do you guys have any special ways to get it out of your head? Control your nerves/excitement? Thanks!

2. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Just tell yourself, "I have nothing to lose in this match. Just play my best".

But be prepared of the spectators/fans/friends that match is going to get. Sometimes it gets abit embarrassing for the weaker opponent.:(

Pushing you around the court, just to show off. Even worse if it is someone you know personally. Bad experience.:mad:

#2 Sgbad, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
  3. FirstSecond

FirstSecond Regular Member

Student
    You are so right.

I once saw this guy play against the nationally ranked pro and he got beaten so bad... the moment he served, he got smashed.

I felt sooooo bad for him... the entire audience started laughing at him (The audience was full of kids as well) and while they treated the pro like a king, they called names to the kid that played against him.

Side Note: That nationally ranked person I want to defeat because he always give his opponents that cocky smile with one hand in pocket stance EVERYTIME he plays. I want to give him a taste of his own medicine! ><

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    That isnt so bad. Its much worse if the opponent(SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW PERSONALLY) give you a "see what you can do with this mentality", monkey you around the court. In that singles game, it was me against that nationally ranked player/and his supporters. But too bad, i wasnt good enough:( I only have myself to blame.:)

But in doubles, its totally different, you have your partner with you, supporting you.:D

I hope you luck in winning that nationally ranked person.:p Badminton isnt all about winning and showing off, Its about sportsmanship and much more.

*Remember to bring more supporters along, they play a big part in demoralising your opponent:D:D

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    their rank should not be focused upon. Do your best and remain consistent.

I took on the #2 Seed for Open singles in my comeback tournament on the weekend. I got beaten 21-13 and 21-18. And felt really good with how i played. only because i really tried to remain calm and concentrate on my own game. Unfortunately im still a bit slow and made a few too many errors. But thats what more training is for!

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Its true you shouldn't care.

But whenever I play a very high rank I loose confidince. Which I shouldn't.

I liked what someone else said - you have nothing to lose , only all to gain :).

7. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    This is what will be in my mind if I do play with a pro...

"Well, what do you know...I'm playing with a pro... This will be good practice for sure..."

8. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    This will go inside my head, "Every point gain is a battle won, fight for every point!"

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Just don't think about who is on the other side of the net and play your own shots like you would against anyone else. Easier said than done but I guarantee you'll do better that way.

10. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I went through this experience many times, it's something that comes with pressure match situations, and not so much "omg i'm playing a pro player" type mentality. Early february, I played doubles against Charles Pyne and Aiden Lim and i was shaking in my boots ahaha...but after a few points, you begin to see that they're just human too...not super human or whatever. You can ALWAYS earn points if you try your very hardest, or at least be proud. Don't put them on a pedistal. I played a couple other national level doubles and singles players as well this year, and the best way is to reflect on another experience playing against a good player. Just go out and play. Don't put them on a pedistal, and play your hardest. The best way to think about it is, "I see Lin Dan play (if you have, if not, on vid or whatever, in my case i've seen it at Sudirman Cup this year ;] ), these guys are garbage compared to them, what am i really scared of?" and you should be set ;):p:D:rolleyes:

11. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i forgot to add, it's also a good chance for you to see where you place yourself among their level. If they happen to be cocky and play not so great, and your points are close, well then at least you did well, and you can say that with your head up. If not, hey well, they're suppose to beat you, but don't assume they're unbeatable. DON'T PUT THEM ON A PEDISTAL!!! Unless they're Lin Dan ;)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Regardless you playing again LD or a beginner, you should focus on your own game, rather than ppl on the other side. Any post-game analysis, should be purely on your own "feedback". The game result can easily blind us, and let us think the result is "always the case" regardless your true skill level.

Actually, I play better overall when against much better players, as the game result is no longer important. I am the underdog, and I have nothing to lose. It's the time to test some of your so-believe "materized skills", and see whether such and such is really useful, or simply your other opponents are not good enough.

The audiance can scream and laugh all they want to. All such have no impact, unless yourself want to pay much attention to them rather than the opponent and the game itself.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yup. Every single points count. It'll make you think alot and ahead. ;). Just enjoy the game. ;) It's a very good lesson to see how much different interms of your levels. You standard should go up if you get the chance to play them regularly. ;)

14. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Playin a better player

When your playin a better player just think positve and find ways to win points that what i normally do =]

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I would play my best or worse... and have loads of fun.

16. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Actually the better the opponent, the more fun it is right? Playing against better player ensure u play ur best and you can learnt from them? Study them well until a time come u can beat them. That satisfaction is gd

17. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

Well, if he's facing me then he's going to be in big trouble. Wish he never played with me.

:D

18. tenggk

tenggk Regular Member

This will go thru my mind - 'Let's push my mind and body to the limit..." :D

19. spartansmasher

spartansmasher Regular Member

Marketing Exec
    When I am facing a pro I usually think

"I AM PRO-ER!!!" haha kidding =P

Well the most imp thing in badminton is being calm and focused... Even a pro could lose if they are not focused and emotionally unstable... I've beaten some guys who are wayyyy better than me because they made so many mistakes due to their mood... and I've been beaten by guys worse than me because I was pissed and kept making stupid mistakes.

So I guess what you need to think is...

"Well... this guy has worked so hard for so long to be in his position right now... I haven't... So if I'm gonna lose it's fine... I am just going to play as mistake-free as possible and who knows he won't"

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what else would go through my head when i am facing a pro who can smash like FHF? the shuttlecock, of course.