smash under net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by one952, May 25, 2009.

1. one952

one952 Regular Member

Hi, just a beginner here. i really want to learn the correct way to smash, but when i try to follow the step taught in here or in video, the shuttercock either go
    -into the net,
    -under the net, or
    - high into the air into the far end of opponent court, resulting in opponent easy return or out.

any advise on how i should improve or how i should play it?
    i try to follow the advise to hit it on the highest point at 1 oclock, and bending of the wrist.
    but just could not get it right.

help please.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    My Question is can you clear well first?

Play against a wall hitting it as hard as you can. Because the clear and smash or close enough same shot, its jus point of impact which is different

As the old saying goes practice practice practice.

Try to slow down the smash and figure it out in ur own head how to do it. If there is something you can not do, always practice it slowly, focusing on wot to do. Mistakes r gud cause then u have to figure out wot u r doin wrong and correct it. Mistakes wil make u a better player!

3. one952

one952 Regular Member

point taken, will try it next time, slowing down.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    For the best result, get a coach to teach you the proper techniques, you will be better off that way.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    practice practice and practice, wow thats help alot lol.
    yea like ginger said, slow down on your motion, and see what you did wrong.
    my advice, just smash with soft power.
    like watever, dont worry too much about the power, just go for the motion going downward of the bird, so you can really understand the wrist motion. and get use to it.
    Of course, you might fail pretty badly at first, but u will get it some day.
    My best guess would be smash from server line, get some1 feed it to you, then of course its easy, then move back, middle of court, then until u get it, just go all the way back.
    Until the point where you get the feel of it, try to increase power into it.
    IF my advice is stupid and confuse or does not make sense, please correct me. thank you

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Try to use a video camera to see where you went wrong. It's easier and faster to learn. This is what I will do to show to my students. ;)

7. one952

one952 Regular Member

Thanks Gamepurpose for the advise. since i'm still learning, it definately sound logical and i'll be trying out and trying to get it right.
    and thanks all fellow member for your advise.

Will update if i get it right.

8. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    my 2 cents.. though not much different from wht the gang above said.. try half smashes... (low on power as they r)... learn the wrist movement... once u get the hang o it u can try full smashes... happy playing...

9. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Learning

We play at least 3 times a week and usually we try to play four times a wk.:D
    Tues( many beginners), Thurs(best day to join us) , Fri and Sun
    U may wish join our group and learn:confused:
    We can give u some coaching:D but u should be the willing type to learn and not stubborn:)
    Other than theory, we believe in reality where we observe how u play:D which is important
    Thank you:)
    Hope our words are not too harsh to u or offended u:D

10. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Do not go for power right away. A lot of beginners try to go right at it and smash right through the floor but that is the wrong way to approach it. The best smashes are ones that are steep and well angled.

Smashes are not supposed to be kill shots - they are meant for the pointl on your return of their return, becuase if you do a good enough smash the return will be weak - setting you up for a kill

So what I would advise is what a lot of other people have also said - take it slow and get your angle and wrist correctly, and while you're doing that and you continue to play, your speed will come by itself

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    placement and angle is of more importance then power.
    When you can comfortably pull a steep half smash, hitting it exactly where u are aiming, then try and impliment the power.
    Until then work on your technique to get angle and accuracy.

12. spartansmasher

spartansmasher Regular Member

Marketing Exec
    It seems like timing and point of impact is your problem:
    -smashing into the net means you hit the shuttle when it's already too low hence it's projectile is not high enough to pass on top of the net
    -smashing under the net could happen even to pros... it happens when you hit the shuttle too soon so it hits the top part of your racket frame and got stuck following the racket movement down on your smash followthrough
    -smashing flatly high into the back corner of your oppenent's court happens because you forget to flick your wrist downward during point of impact so your racket hit the shuttle flatly sending it zooming like a drag racecar

How do you counter all these? unfortunately there really is no shortcuts... practice practice practice (and watch lots of smash slow mo in youtube!)

13. one952

one952 Regular Member

thanks so much for all advise, not only did i not get some bad comment, i get alot of valueable comment.

Just want to share, after reading this, my smash improve alot the last 2 game. nicer to the feel and better. However, my previous game last night was horrible, most smash go into the net again.
    but i will cont to learn and practice.