Where to play in Edmonton, AB?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Simby, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Simby

Simby Regular Member

Hey. I only know of the U of A and the Derrick club. Where else is there? It'd be great if you could tell me the cost too. Thanks!

For all you guys that play at the U of A, why the hell ain't there courts between 1 and 3:30???? That's the best time to play it. Dammit.

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yo man...hard to find people from edmonton on this forum so usually you don't get replies (trust me, i've tried, hhaha) .. guess you're lucky i'm replying:D ..just joking.

anyways, i'm from edmonton too so i know a few places you can go to play...
    got a few questions ..

first, what kind of level of play are you looking for?

If you're looking for "A" player games, then maybe consider
    - Royal Glenora (http://www.royalglenora.com to find prices...they aren't cheap(hence private club)
    -Derrick Club , which you already know about (prices aren't cheap either)

If you're looking for "B" level games, then maybe consider
    -the ones listed above (they range from A to B level of play)
    --Red willow in st. albert

If you're looking for a range from A-B-and C, then maybe consider..
    -clubs in edmonton
    -Castledowns club ..most likely held at concordia college
    -northgate club
    -Edmonton chinese badminton club...held at NAIT
    -IBC (Internation badminton club) ...held at WP. Wagner High school

*go to http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/clubs.htm to find EXACT times and location for the edmonton clubs....ALSO you'll find more info on MORE clubs in edmonton..

Anyways, hope that helps..

3. Simby

Simby Regular Member

hey. thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for courts to play with my friends. I pretty much suck, and so do my friends. not looking for anything competitive. anywhere that's free?

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Aaargh, you guys are luckier than me. I live outside of Edmonton, and in my small town, there is NO CLUB for under-18 players!! The only place I can play is at school practice sessions and by practicing my strokes and techniques in my house! BTW, I see a lot of those badminton clubs in Edmonton are held at schools. So, is the entrance fee cheaper? How are the qualitiy of the courts? I know in my school, from one side of the court, the lights are just blinding, from the others side, it is perfect.

5. Jay

Jay Regular Member

Student
    If you want some decent courts that are harldy ever in use go to the Kinsmen in downtown u just have to pay to get into the building but then its free there are 2 decent courts there and I have onle seen them being used twice (I went there every other day all summer)

Hope this helps

6. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

ehh..yeah, but kinsmen is rubber court...u gotta watch u don't twist ur ankle... i guess it's alright if you're not a competitive player...but if you're going to pay, i'd go to commonwealth stadium...where it's cheaper (unless they've increased their price since i last went tehre) and there's real gym flooring.

And about free courts? i really doubt you'll find any....it's almost impossible to find something free these days.....unless u play in ur backyard...:D