off to college, need places to play

Discussion in 'USA West' started by cmd17uc, Sep 19, 2002.

1. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    after three months of a long hot summer, it is finally time to go to college!!!
    Only problem is, i need somewhere to play. I am going to university california riverside and was wondering if anyone knew of places to play around the riverside area. I have a car, so driving a little isnt a problem. Thanks for the help:)

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Hi there,

First of all, UCR has a badminton club. Try to find Mr. Harvey Erdle; he is the coach.

Second, Riverside Community College has play on Friday nights from 7-10 PM in the Women's gym (cost is $2 and you have to register). Mr. Erdle is in charge of that, too. Mostly beginners, some intermediate players.

Third, there is Colton High School in nearby Colton (about 20 min. from UCR). Play is on Sunday mornings, 8:00-11:00, and Monday nights from 6:00-9:00 in the Hubbs Gym on Rancho Blvd. Cost is $2. Mostly intermediate to advanced ("B" level) players.

4th, check out the post here about Redlands Badminton Club. They play on early Tuesday and Friday mornings of 90 min. You have to join the Univ. of Loma Linda recreation club, though. Cost depends on the type of membership.

Beyond that, you would have to go to the San Gabriel Badminton Club or the Orange County Badminton Club. You can get information from the Southern Calif. Badminton Association website.

Happy hitting!:)

3. smashharder88

smashharder88 Regular Member

Come play at mar vista near westwood on mondays and wednesdays, there is a ucr student that plays there as well, i know its a little of a drive but if you want some decent players, mar vista is the place to be. There is a post with the address that i did a couple of weeks ago. Hope to see you there!

4. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    thanks

thanks for all the info, just moved into my dorm and got the internet hooked up. The first site i went to was badminton central! I will definetly make it to these places so i can play more:)

5. cpb444

cpb444 New Member

Take the UCR badminton class

I took Harvey Erdle's badminton class a handful of years ago at UCR. I believe the class is still available. He's a nice, helpful instructor. If you do take the class, tell him Chau says hello.

6. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    What days and time does UCR open up?

7. waldo98

waldo98 Regular Member

IT
    Sorry for bumping an old thead, but I just wanted to add the RCC plays on Saturday nights now. The hours is 7pm til 10pm and its $2 to play.

8. jwcdis

jwcdis Regular Member

Student
    ucr rec center hours

UCR Recreation Center is open for badminton on
    Mondays and Wednesdays from 6am to 6 pm
    Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays from 6am-12am
    Fridays from 6am to 9pm

They have steel alloy racquets you can borrow and shuttlecocks,
    you can only enter with a UCR student (5 dollars per guest)