Wrist Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Joanne, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I sometimes get wrist pain after playing badminton. Sometimes it's pain till I can't write properly! And usually I can't play badminton for 1 whole day with my wrist. I always warm up, plus I always make sure I hold my racquet the correct way. Anyone can help?

2. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Do you use a computer a lot? I had a similar problem. As a result of using the mouse so much the bones in my wrist weren't moving as freely as they should. A few visits to my Chiropractor cleared the problem right up. Now I make sure to stop mousing and move my wrist around to prevent it happening again. Also have you ever heard of a powerball? It's a ball with a gyro inside used for wrist strenghtening and that also helps.

3. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Hey Reynar... did your chiro teach you any wrist exercises
    that you can do at home? If so, can you share them with
    us and any advice/explanations he/she might have given
    you? :)

4. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    I've never really asked for any exercises but I will when I see him next Friday.

As for explanations, my problem stems from using the computer so much. My hand stays in pretty much the same position while using the mouse and only my fingers move. The bones sort of fuse together, without any melting happening.:) When things are moving properly pain can occur.

Now I just make stop using the mouse and shake my hand out and move it around once in a while. I also bought one of those Dynaflex Gyro-exercisers out of curiousity. I don't know if it has helped my badminton game but my wrist seems to feel better and I haven't had much trouble with it since.

When I saw my Chiropractor today we were talking and he mentioned that badminton is the cause of a lot of eye injuries. Apparently opthalmologists he knows say that some people strain their eyes because the birdie moves so fast and they can't follow it. Yeah for badminton!:D I guess.

5. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Three cheers for doctors who appreciate badminton!
    Crude as it may sound, perhaps the more "official" and
    "serious" badminton injuries people know about, the
    less they'll think it's a sissy backyard pastime! :D

Thanks Reynar! Btw, the one given by the opthalmologist
    is probably very applicable to L'am community centre!
    Every tried playing with a white feather birdie inside its
    white walls and ceilings and dim court-lines?

6. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Nope never been to L'Amoreaux. From what I hear it's always very busy. I still remember when I played at a community centre downtown where over 3 hours I'd get to play maybe 2 or 3 games. It's too bad I'd like to play more often. And it seems no one here, of an appropriate level, attends U. of T.

7. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Badminton causes Eye Strain? Are you just screwin /w us or is it actually true? lol...

I go to chiro like once a month because my back is slightly "messed up"... my chiro said that right handed sports won't do that much good to my back but.. oh well..

Oh yea.. L'amoreaux does have bad lighting hehe... even with their yellow plastic birds it's hard to see especially if a wall is not behind it (when I went there in the summer.. sometimes the dividers don't get put up into 10 ish!... if I'm on the side facing all the other courts instead of the wall I won't be able to see the birdie lol.

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well, I know what is the cause of my pain. ESSAYS! I just finished 2 and my hand is really, really pain.