Regular Shaft vs Long Shaft

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Thomas, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Nowadays, one can choose rackets with regular length and long ( about 10mm difference). What is the difference when comes to actual playing performance? Is long shaft more powerful?

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    A long shaft provides more power for overhand hits, drives, and smashes. but the downside to this is it's speed. This type of raquet seems to be slower than a regular length raquet. it also takes a long time to get used to playing with a longer shaft....
    but there is definetly a BIG difference witha longer shaft in terms of power....so if a good powerful raquet is what u want, a long shaft is the way to go

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    another benefit of a long shaft is its reach. In singles play especially, i come to like that extra reach.

On the power side, i think it is overstated and is not as benefical as reach.

cooler

4. Bob

Bob Guest

off topic, but curious. i find that switching back and forth from long and regular is nearly impossible.
    can any one here do it on a regular basis?
    thanks!

5. Don

Don Regular Member

I do it all the time, with a Ti-10, Cab 5 and a squash racquet!

6. vince

vince Guest

I was thinking of getting a set of cab20 long for single but I already spend over $400 for 3 cab21 last year, so I'm still contemplating should I spend another $300 on something I might not need. One of my weakness in single is defending down the line and cross-court smashes, in your opinion based on your experience, Shaun and cooler, does the long racquet version do me good?

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

down the line smashes are tough to return, even the pros have hard time returning them. Yes, a long racket could help but only to a point. I suggest u give a try on one of the isometric frame racket. yonex iso900 or swing power has 4 version to choose from that should satisfy most players. I dont think it's a good idea to get a set of any racket on someone recommendation without trying them first

8. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    How does the long shaft actually benefit the power of the racket. I am currently using an Isometric framed, long shafted Fleet Ti-99. It seems to be just normal in power despite the 24lbs tension Ashaway Microlegend. My other racket Yonex Titanium Pro 60 is an oval head shaped, traditional lengthed racket strung at 24lbs with a Yonex BG-65 Ti. The yonex is much more powerful.......

I heard that the 1cm added length increases leverage and power. 1 cm? Does that do much to increase the leverage?

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I have also wondered about this. The difference in power by adding 1 cm to the shaft would be really minute, probably not even noticeable. Isn't this just anoher marketing scam?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

byro, read my post carefully, for long rackets, i have said

** On the power side, i think it is overstated and is not as benefical as reach. **

11. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    I used cab-20 long for a whole season and it has about equal power to cab-21 and quite a bit more power than the regular cab-20. I mean I've had all three rackets by the side of the court and tested each for smashing power.

It's definately not a marketing gimmick like Ti.
    It's just debatable whether the extra power is worth the lesser manouverability. I choose to stick with cab-21 for all round ability but I've broken 2 already this season..only one left..

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It's a yes and no answer. Long racket would add power for certain players, players that has the power from his/her stroke to begin with. For weak players, the long and head heavy racket actually generate less power. However, yonex take the benefits (added power) from the pros and marketed as a remedy for weaker players which is bunk.

13. vince

vince Guest

I really don't like the isometric shape that much but I will give it a try. I wonder, if two racquets are build exactly the same, same weight, same stiffness, same material but one is isometric and other is oval, which one generate more power?

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

vince, r u saying u like oval rackets because of more power?

15. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I would think that its more too personal preferance...... sorry, go ahead Vince......

16. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    This might sound lazy and not make any good impression but i've given up on trying to get used to Long Shafts...... I've been playing only about 2 monthes now with my Fleet Ti-99 with the long shaft...... I hate it now because i can get used to it so i switched back to my Yonex Ti-3.

Other people have similar experiences?

17. Thomas

Thomas Guest

My frequently used racket for last year was the Yonex Ti-3 and I was pretty happy about it. Then I began to shift to long shaft rackets of both isometric and oval headshape of various brands. Using the long shaft does requires some adjustment although to some people, it's not a problem at all. Right now I'm switching back to my Ti-3 to see if the regular shaft is best for me. Still thinking of whether to get the Ti-10, expensive but an offensive racket. I play lots of attacking and smashing games. Any opinion?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i know a friend who has 2 hardly used ti-10 for sale.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

byro, i might sound like a psychologist but do u hate your fleece ti-99 more in singles or doubles?

20. vince

vince Guest

I don't like isometric because I find it kind of ugly compare to the oval shape, oval has a natural structure of an egg, so pressure around the head that cause by the string tension is more balance than the isometric. The way the isometric head is buit, the pressure around the racquet is off balance, I imagine there is a lot of pressure at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. Of course it just my opinion. Maybe oval generate more power, I don't know, I never put isometric to the test. At the place I play, some say oval other say isometric generates more power. The only thing most player agreed on is that the isometric have a bigger sweet spot, therefore more accurate shot but does bigger sweet spot means more power?