Pulling Quadriceps Upon Jump Smash

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by dennis913, May 30, 2009.

1. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Hey i was at a tournament the other day and it was the first place match. I had to forfeit due to injury, because i didn't know how to stretch this muscle or what this muscle is even called. I put quadriceps in the title cause its in that area.

When i went up for a jump smash, i kicked my legs out for power and it just locked. Usually my legs would bend back in to soften the landing but it didnt, and i ended up falling. My legs were stuck for 10 seconds and pain shot through the outer sides of my thighs, just above the knee. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

I tried many stretches but none targetted the outer thigh area. Does anyone know of stretches to target that area?

A friend gave me this knee support but it was below the knee so it didn't really help.

2. didz12345

didz12345 Regular Member

Hey I've had exactly the same pain as you and I also had to forfeit a tournament twice while I was in the final due to excruciating thigh pains on both legs but I just found this which I will paste here :

Muscle cramps can occur at the most inopportune moments, such as playing tennis, golf, bowling, swimming, and exercising.
    Muscle cramps also occur while sitting, walking or even when we are asleep. The most inconspicuous movement can suddenly precipitate
    A muscle in most any part of the body to suddenly go into spasm.
    Muscle cramps can occur in different degrees, from a slight tic to a very severe painful contraction. In an individual who is in an advanced stage of osteoporosis, a severe muscle spasm can cause a bone to fracture.
    MUSCLE CRAMPS GENERALLY OCCUR IN 3 DIFFERENT MUSCLE GROUPS

• The Quadriceps (Front of the thigh).
      [*]The Hamstrings (Back of the thigh).
      [*]The Gastrocnemius (Calves).
    There are several causes that can precipitate cramping or spasms
    of muscles. The most prevalent cause is over exertion, causing a
    deprivation of oxygen, leading to a buildup of lactic acid in the muscle. When the buildup becomes too great, the muscle reacts
    by going into spasm. Another cause is an electrolyte and fluid loss, which is why keeping hydrated during physical exertion is so important. The same holds true when you are over heated and perspiring freely. Replacing the lost fluids will go a long way in preventing cramping or severe muscle spasms.
    Many approaches are used for treating muscle cramps. Massage to the muscle is the first thing that is usually applied.
    We generally follow this by applying cold or heat, and or using an
    analgesic. All these methods are time consuming and may afford
    either, moderate, or no relief at all. Every group of muscles in our body has an antagonist. The quickest and easiest method is one that applies antagonistic pressure to the involved muscle. By applying this anti-pressure to the cramping muscle we overwhelm the muscle cramp, causing a release, and thus relief.

Treating Cramp of Front of the Thigh. (Quadriceps)
    If cramp occurs front of the right thigh, while sitting, place left ankle behind the right ankle and pull back with as much force as you can with the right ankle, while applying pressure with the left ankle. By contracting the right thigh (quadriceps); the cramp is relieved. If the cramp occurs in the left thigh, reverse this procedure.

Hope it Helps :)

3. ericehuang

ericehuang Regular Member

Student
    Wow dennis, shocking to see you on the forum

4. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Really?
    i use this site alot.
    :)

5. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks, this will sure come in handy for the future. :)