A Quick Question About Balance Points

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by blacfist, May 31, 2009.

1. blacfist

blacfist Regular Member

admin
    hello everyone,

i know this subject gets quite a lot of attention and it makes up part of the technical details of most good rackets, but I'm just trying to get some additional clarity on the matter for my own level of understanding. :confused:

BALANCE POINTS!!

I've measure the balance points of all my rackets (i have 6 rackets in total) and found that there is quite a big difference. now most of my rackets have extra grips placed over the original one, only one more but i know this adds to the weight and will also change the balancce point of the racket at the same time.

My question simply is what distance is considered to be head heavy, head light and balanced. i know this doesnt really mean a huge amount because it has more to do with how your game is with a certain racket, but i was just wondering.

thanks for your time folks
    regards
    bf

2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    There is a thread regarding your problem at the sticky section. Otherwise, you may do a search.

3. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    someone told me this:

290+ mm = head heavy
    Between 280 ~ 290 = even balance
    280- = head light

correct me if I'm wrong.

4. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    That's the guideline but it also depends on the length of the racquet. A BP of 290mm on a 665mm racquet is considered head heavier than a 290mm on a 680mm racquet.

5. blacfist

blacfist Regular Member

admin
    ok

so what happens if you add grips to the racket and change the balance point? does that now mean the racket is less head heavy and therefore less offensive & more defensive?

hope that makes sense by the way!

regards
    bf

6. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

Adding a grip adds weight to the handle, so it moves the balance point towards the handle, i.e. a shorter balance point / less head heavy. And yes generally that's more defensive.

But this is in "general". Head heavy + quick movement (+ perfect technique) = fast smash ... but if a racket is too head heavy for you, then you cannot move it quickly, then smash is not as fast. So it's also about personal preference, ability and technique. I know someone who plays with a very light racket, which is very head light (as he uses 3 grips), he doesn't smash a lot, but when he does it's very fast (as he has very good technique).

Also if you make it too head heavy and you're not used to it then your arm might end up hurting after using it a lot. But too head light, if you're not used to it, can also hurt your arm. It's all about finding what's good for you personally!