Training at home for racket skills

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, May 31, 2009.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I am a decent player, sumtimes reali gud and sumtimes reali bad. At times my timing can be off and I can mishit a lot. Sumtimes I play & i get plenty of power, so no probs getting clears to back of court & other times I hit them a bit short which if ur playin against a good player, u wil get punished!

What can I do at the house to help me with fine tuning my racket skills.

Ive been to told to hit against a wall but am struggling as to where to find a good wall inside my house. It would be impossible for me to play overhead shots as the ceilin is to low.

Any advice??

(Currently I am getting fit by doin shadow badminton in the back yard every other day. I am seeing good improvement fitness wise.
    And i do pull ups, push ups and using a chair to build up my arms, chest and shoulders on the days I am not doin shadow badminton)

#1 gingerphil79, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Skipping helps to increase angle, or so i've heard.
    If you want to hit better, then thats exactly what you have to do. Go ask a friend to multi shuttle with you or something. Or just play games.
    Fitness can only help you so much.

3. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

what angle?

if u are a decent player at times, then what u need to improve is your consistency. you should analyze why are you lacking of power at times. is because of ur body position? footwork? tired? or simply u just had a meal? or even lack of sleep?:confused:

practicing the same shots a million times plus physical training would certainly helps, but in my opinion, game begins hours before you step onto the court.:cool:

4. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I think it's really important to go get a proper coach. Even going for group drills are better than doing it alone.

Otherwise you may actually be doing something wrong and not realize it. Then you repeated train that way...you are training a bad habit.

Hitting the walls is good to train your reflex.

But if you're talking about mishits and timing, then you really need to do more drills and get the feel/speed of the shuttle. More accurately, you need to know where you are in relation to the shuttle when you hit it when you want to do a lob, drive, smash, drop, etc.

And the angle where the shuttle is coming and what speed it is coming at. Then you know what position is the best to get in to hit the shuttle.

Then how to get to that position in a game is footwork.

All this will need an actual coach or training partner. And don't just think about power. Power ain't nothing without control.

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    I will be getting coaching next monday so that wil help a lot, ive never been coached b4 and it was always something i wanted.

I do skip after i do my shadow badminton and I find it easier to do al the time!

But is there any training i can do at the house? any drills at the house i can do to help reaction, timing, racket movement etc???

Cheers

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

play video games. house of the dead/ time crisis/ an arcade shooter/ left for dead. your reflexes will be on fire.

7. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

i believe the game you need is Dance Dance Revolution [​IMG]

8. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Seriously, play a First Person Shooter (FPS) game and equip yourself only with a sniper. Then you can improve your reflexes and eye coordination :D

Other than that...

Buy a dumbbell. Put your hand/wrist on the edge of the table holding the dumbbell and do wrist curls, both forehand and backhand. It will help develop wrist strength.

9. runningpig001

runningpig001 Regular Member

you can work on your footwork.

10. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    lol yea seriously most people dont read carefully, for the first half of people replied didn't answer him for his question. Practice at home not go out get coach and all other aspect.
    Anyway i think, like some of these guys said, dumbell, get ur wrist stronger. Pretty much all u can do is increase your strength through exercise, SQUAT (is that how you spell?)
    And all other aspect as in you can't make the shots, you lost your feeling. You can't really practice that at home.
    Well practice serve? Sacrifize (damn seriously i think that word is so wrong) your bedroom's room to make a small half of the court to practice the serve (i hope you understand wat am i talkin about)
    Or go outside somewhere is not windy practice drive with your friends or whoever willing to help you out.
    Footwork, that's depend, on your floor, I wouldn't recommend on practice footwork on the cement, that might injures your ankles. Find some area that is soft, grass might able to pull it off.

11. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    There are a number of thigns you can really do at home:

1. Make a ladder...by this i mean get some masking tape and make a ladder shape. Either stick it on your absement floor or outside. Then you basically put one foot it, then the other, one out then the other and keep repeating.

2. Get a dumbell and just practice wrist movements. This doesnt actually do much for the wrist, but rather helps for your forearm which will help with every single shot.

3. Get a really old crappy racket and put some duct tape on half of the head and cover up where the strings would be. Practice shots or do figure 8;s in the air( found this really helpful)

4. DDR (dance dance revolution) will help with speed, reaction and stamina? But really, its a little overrated LOL

What not to do!!! :

Squats- they are bad for your knees
    Over exercetion- Dont pull out 20lbs dumbells and start lifting. You want to tone ( not build) your muscles.

my 2 cents//

12. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    i really have to disagree with some of your points. sorry :(
    Firstly the wrist excersises/movements with the dumbells will significantly strengthen your wrist. Your forearm will benefit alot as you said, but your wrist is really going to get stronger especially if its quite a solid weight.
    You must be careful though as sometimes overworking your wrist can cause easy injuries.

Squats are very important for badminton in particular as leg strength is vital to your court movement and footwork. As long as you arent overloading the weight to the point where you cant even stand up then your knees will be fine...........
    Your knee joints will benefit from the squats and strengthen overtime. And your leg muscles are going to strengthen quite quickly. its an effective way to build that explosive power for jumping aswell.

Lastly lol your muscles are not going to get huge in size or (BUILD UP) as you say if your doing light weights such as 20lbs lol. thats only roughly 10kgs which...unless your like 12 years old with the framstructure of an ant, you should be able to lift without hurting yourself.
    Basic weights in your spare time will simply strengthen your muscles a bit and give you a little bit more power/control with your strokes and movements.

Building muscle actually takes alot of work and hard weight training to do. So dont even consider worrying about it unless your doing proper training for it.

:D

13. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I do have a way to train my reflex and eye-to-hand coordination. You can try to do juggle, it helps a lot, but make sure you juggle something that has a good weight, like orange. For accuracy, I don't know how you can do it at home other than do wall-badminton, video games (Wii and FPS will do nicely), and sandbag boxing. If you're at the field, you can do archery (I did some archery in Japan back then :D).

14. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    1. Your wrist technically peaking only has one muscle and a couple wrist flexors. Most people say when they train their wrist, you think you;re training the joint between the hand and the arm. However, its the muscles around your forearm that gives you the power and flex in your shots. Why do you think its so hard to play with your oppotsite hand? Because you have not trained/toned your forearm and wrist flexors. if you look through google, your wrist has only one muscle and the only thing that gives you your strength is your wrist flexors.

2. When you do squats you are putting alot of pressure onto your knee joints. Sure it helps your joints and legs but there are alternatives that are just as effective which dont pressure your joints. For example biking. Biking trains your quads so that when you play, the pressure will be carried onto your quads and not so much on your knee joints. It also lessens the amount of pressure put onto your knees. I did squats for a while before and now i think my knees are suffering from them =/..either that or i just work to hard at work XD. However, the main problems badminton players suffer from are lower back and knee problems if you havent noticed.

3. LOL i was suppose to talk about reps. My bad. Lighter weights + more reps = stronger/toned muscles

15. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    ermmm lol i studied sports human movements last year and its not purely the forearm muscle which is giving you the strength power and movement lol....and dont tell me your believing google for all your facts lol -_-...half the stuff posted on the internet is done by people like yourself who "think" they know exactly what they are talking about lol

yes your wrist contains the sole muscle but if u understood correctly the mechanics of how the human body works through different movements im sure you would understand a bit better.

and the only way you injure yourself through squats is #1 incorrect form and #2 overload of weights.
    Why do you think squats are the key excersise in condition training? (if you dont know what conditioning training is ~ basically strenthening and shaping particular muscles to the correct design and adequate strength)

also have a think about this....your standing on your legs for an average of 60% of the day (depends on what your occupation is) Your knees are the connection and weight distributors directly to your feet lol. The majority of your body weight is all of the time on your knees so dont tell me doing freestanding squats (which means no weight,purely your own body weight) is going to cause knee damage.
    You may aswell never stand up again just incase you hurt yourself.........

You do know you dont have to start with putting lots of weight on right?? Its the same with anything...start with light weight or no weight until you can comfortably get the correct form. Then increase the weight slightly overtime.
    Im sorry but i just dont see any solid value to your arguments.

16. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    i agree with bradmyster, and no i don't really have any educational of human body to support my theory. I suggested squat in the first place, because where i worked this one dude is really into working out, and squat is part of his training. So he told couple things about squats. And yes about knees problem. That just wrong form (the way how you do it) 2nd some people just have bad knees? I do, =)
    But there's away to regenerate your knee joins and other joins too.
    If i'm not wrong there's medicine for that. Or maybe some type of food might help, who knows. Cuz If a human knees are so easily weaken then the body builder should be in wheel chair long time before they can even reach to the competition.
    And this is just BASE on my LOGICAL thinking =)
    no facts to support it. correct if i'm wrong, i would like to know more stuffs in life.
    learning is part of life

17. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

The Bradmyster has it, however Bennyc I think your points (1) and (4) are valid too.
    Racket skills, to me, also includes deceptive movements with the racket head, and these are easily practised at home watching the tele etc..
    Double action, where the racket head moves in one direction, and then is stopped a little way before impact, and then directed in a different direction to send the shuttle in that direction, is also easily practised at home. Be aware that the power for the actual shot in this case needs to be created with little or no backswing, and so relies on wrist and forearm strength, couple with crisp timing.

18. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    if you want to improve racquet skills in particular, there are several things you can do. but first of all, any time you do weights with your racquet hand, you will most likely notice a slight loss of control and feel the next time that you are on court. just know that this is normal, and will go away once you take a break from the weights for a while (i.e. before a competition).

wrist curls are a good place to start. however, it's important that you do eccentric weight lifting (can google). eccentric lifting has been found to be a very effective way to gain power, and to also prevent injuries. Notice I said power, not strength, there is a difference, and I believe power is more important than strength in badminton.
    in fact, with any weight training that you decide to do, eccentric is the way to go.

another thing that will help your racquet skills is to strengthen (using very minor weights) your rotator cuff muscles, and the small infraspinatus/supraspinatus muscles. Many ppl lack consistency in their shots (esp. after a long game), because they simply can't keep the racquet up anymore. it's harder than it looks. keep your racquet up with your hand at head level, and arms out in front..and go for a jog...u'll realize taht your shoulders will start burning after a couple minutes...this is due to a lack of muscle endurance in your shoulders...strengthening those muscles is a REALLY good way to increase your consistency with overhead shots. after all, you need a stable base every time u lift that racquet to hit. in terms of training trick shots and all...once you have increased your wrist power...you will be able to manipulate it however u want.

oh..btw..i'm a kines. major..so...pretty confident with most of my suggestions for u. feel free to pm me if u want some more specific suggestions.

19. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Is there anything I can do not for strength but more fine touch wise or is all I can do is find a wall or practice on court?

20. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    pretty much for the shots, you gotta go to the court. Other than that, i'm not sure on this, i think it's crazy, but just keep tapping the bird up for like a feet away from the racquet face, so it's kind like give you the drop shots feeling, maybe and maybeeee it helps on the feel only.