Why are the white strings better than the coloured?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ballaballa, May 31, 2009.

1. ballaballa

ballaballa Regular Member

Hey guys,

Why are the white strings better than the coloured?

Is there any real explanation?

Or is it just an imagination?

I've never tried coloured ones.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I believe it's because white strings don't need to be dyed but I'm really not sure. Someone should actually do a head-to-head test between natural and coloured strings to find if there really is a difference. However, there would still be placebo effect as they would know which strings were which.

3. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    It's your imagination, i've used bg 80 in white, blue, purple, and yellow same performance.

4. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Assuming that the synthetic strings come originally in white, then yes the coloured ones are dyed...

IF there is any difference in performance between the white and the coloured ones, it must be due to the color coating on the string.

How thick is that layer of coating on the string? Considering that badminton string is 0.63 to 0.73mm on average, will the coating make a 0.66mm string to 0.68mm string?

Will that coating make a smash OUT instead of IN? Or 300km/h instead of 295km/h? Or with the same stroke and power the shuttle would have gone over the net with a white string, but didn't with a coloured string?

I admit I'm not up to the skill level to be able to feel that difference yet. May be Lin Dan would.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i remember DinkALot conducted a string thickness test. the ashaway MP has different thicknesses for colored/ white string.

^that seems kinda racist.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I somehow feels that the darker the color, the more "slippery" the feeling is, at least for Yonex, Gosen and SOTX strings I've tried. :rolleyes:

7. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    IMO, white isn't necessarily better than coloured. Different colours have different feeling and sometimes has different tension holding properties or durability. I've experimented with quite a few colours of BG80, BG66. Yellow feels like it has a waxy coat compared to white. While stringing, I have sometimes noticed this "wax" build up around the grommets (it's a very, very small amount).

I use BG66 most. When stringing, I can feel the texture difference between something like yellow (slippery), white (medium), gold (fairly rough). For tension holding and feel on impact at tensions of ~26-30+, colour makes a difference. I have a bunch of identical rackets and did some blind tests and I could tell the difference.

8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I think it doesnt matter on the color of the string . in the recent sudirman man Lin dan use the string light yellow color in his Li ning racket, and still wins it.

9. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

and this affects him how? do you know what string he used. what if he preferred that string? maybe thats the only color of the string. until we know information, its hard to say yes.

10. chewablemorphin

The effects of the colour are imeasurably minimal.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use BG65 - I only like white, natural, yellow or green. Unfortunately, I used a new stringer this time, got distracted and didn't state the colour and now have purple BG65. Terrible!!

12. chewablemorphin

OH i hate that, the less arrowdynamic/elastic qualitys of purple can completly throw off your game!!!!!!!!