How are tactics/strategies learned?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Are they learned through experience, watching others play, or through readings? I would like to learn some tactics or strategies. i shouldnt be hitting the bird in the middle, i should aim for the four corners...right? what else is there? using one's center of gravity? but how? someone help me with tactics and strategies :(

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Experience

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It's an ongoing process and from a different number of sources - your coach, strategy books, articles, this forum has lots of tips & good articles. Do a search. Other sites also have tips.

I would say, to start, take a look at Jake Downey's books. You can find "Winning Badminton Doubles" online at www.badmintonbooks.com

Singles/Doubles have different strategies and each game is different depending on your opponent. E.g. not hitting the shuttle to the centre in general will apply to singles whereas in doubles, it is a good strategy to do so thereby forcing the opponents to both go for the shot.

Good luck.

4. satellite

satellite Regular Member

engineer
    www.badmintoncentral.com
    has a lot of tips you can try.

I use the tricks a lot !

Badminton can be for strong or soft players. Tactically, you should adopt the styles you are most comfortable with.

Play with variety of players.
    Participate a tournament and get some feels how others play.

Talk to your coach with your queries.

5. modious

modious Regular Member

Mostly, tatics/strtegies are learned through experience (by playing it yourself!!).
    Sure you can watch people play, read books or let your friend or coach tell you what to do... but that doesn't mean you can do it (apply the strategy) in the first place if you do not have experience, basic skills and footwork.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Read a book, an article, watch people play, pick up what you like then go out and play yourself, try to imitate and put what you saw in action. Keep repeating this but most important is to go out and play. you can "know" what to do, but you can practice on how to actually "do" it.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tactics...

here is my take on it:

read it. it takes the shortest time to learn it, it will also take the longest time to understand and apply it.
    play it. it takes the longest time to learn it, but it will take the shortest time to understand and apply it.
    watch it. it takes the shortest time to understand it, but it takes the longest time to learn it and apply it.

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

thanks, im going to try to practice with other people and try to apply different strategies i've found. maybe my friend quan can help me...

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

thanks, im going to try to practice with other people and try to apply different strategies i've found. maybe my friend quan can help me...