Just a bunch of smashers

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Zclyh3, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Well, badminton season is starting for high school. I need some tips. What
    do I do when my partner and I are up against two opponents who don't like to
    run and are basically smashers? They can obviously clear, but smashing is
    bascially ALL they do. I myself is also a smasher and sometimes a dropper,
    but I drop in front of them and never seem to make it slice through. My
    partner mainly drops and needs to work on his clearing. We both run a lot
    and are fit enough to run around the court. Racket wise, I have a Ti-10/MP100 and
    my partner a Ti-Swing Power SS. The duo uses an Isometric 900 Swing Power and a Ti-5. They are just a bunch of lazy dudes who are on was on the team last year and never works hard. They didn't even come to conditioning. They think their all that. My partner and I plus some friends have been playing nonstop ever since season let out last year. Is there anyway to get through this duo? We have played them twice and always seem to lose to them by one point. My friend who is a experienced player said just make them run and hit towards their backhand. How can i slice my drops? I mean..fly towards the corners?

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Also, my friend returns smashes better than I do.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

Why don't you just let them smash at you so they'd tire out?

4. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Don, we're not THAT good at returning smashes. We're lucky enough if we even get a couple in a game.

5. AF

AF Guest

Hmmm, I agree with Don, just tire them out by returning their smashes, nice and high so that the front guy can't cut it off. If your defence sux, then of course this won't work. Maybe you should go on the offensive. You know the basic, smash close to the body of the guy you are lined up with, and thus your partner can cheat towards that guy since he knows that is going to be the target. If jammed correctly, a weak reply should go to your partner for the easy put-away. Drop to the middle, forcing one of them to move and hopefully make a weak lift where you can punish the shuttle or they will lift it out of bounds cause they will almost always try to lift it to the other side that you are not.

6. g2k

g2k Guest

hmm...the key is not to give them anything easy to smash at the beginning. so DROP more often. and when have to...try FAST line-drive clears instead of high slow ones. and try to aim clears to their back hands.

if your smash-return is really bad, practice!!!

7. Mark

Mark Guest

If these opponents really are 'just smashers' then you should have no problem in beating them. Take away a single dimension players favourite shot and they will panic on court.

If they are smashing you to death then, hey, why are you lifting the shuttle so much? Also, if you do need to lift, make sure you can generate the power to get the shuttle to the back line, or play a nice block return to the net. If not, then get practicing.

If you are only losing by one point, then things can't be that bad. Give them less opportunities to smash and get you defensive returns back with quality.

Good luck, let us all know when you beat them

Mark

8. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

Two more things you can try: 1. If you cann't return their smashes with high and long clearances, then try some soft blocks. Just block the shuttles back over the net with a soft curly trajectory. Key point is try not to apply any force when you block a smash, let the shuttle bounce back on itself. They cannot keep smashing on a soft block. 2. Keep all the return to the same smasher so that he will not get a break easily.

9. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    These are very good points from G2K and Mark, and also Lao Liu. I think one of the main objectives of an active smasher is to get through you or to more weaker player. So, we can cut that very short also if you can practice driving the shuttle right back at the smasher or directly to the person in front. The cause of this actions are 1) If you return a smash right directly to the smasher, it causes him or her on the defensive mode. WHY? Think about catching that guy on his down flight after smashing. He will not have enough time to do anything, but to be off balance. 2) If you block the shuttle and aim towards the corners. Your opponent has to lunge for the shuttle, which causes them to lift setting you up for a smash at them. 3) You must also think that you should make sure that you focus on one player, which is the player that has a weaker smash. WHY? It's because if you focus on that person. You can make his ass run from front to back consistently. It makes him a more tired than usual. You can also start playing clear drop to them, which will force their mobility moving forward and backward more often.

The main key is to make them play your game. You should not be playing the game they would like to play like smash. Force them to play your game and make sure that you should control the tempo of the game whether it is fast or slow. I think mixing these up would be a great combo. If your partner is the more stronger player. Make sure that you set him up and then he should do the same for your strengths as well.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    One more important thing, cross your fingers that your would be smasher opponents are not reading this thread. :)

11. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Trust me cooler, my opponents are not THAT into badminton. They probably have never even heard of this website. They think they should be on varsity when they are just a bunch of lazy asses.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Great attitude Tony. Trash talking your opponents is definitely a confidence builder. If there is a booky around, i might even put some betting money on ya. Go Tony go, or More Gas.

13. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

I'll make a new thread when and IF my partner and I beats them...heheh..they must go down...oh yeah...you guys gotta get a pair of SHB-92 EX shows from Yonex!

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    If you're quick enough Tony, and you catch your opponents driving instead of smashing, smash their drive back down their throats... you've got to be aggressive, but that's just my point of view, because I'm an aggressive type.
    ;)

15. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I am like Kelvin, i am very aggressive...everytime i get the slightest chance, i will smash. But doing such a thing is NOT good. why? simply because it makes you TOO predictable. To be sucessful, you must be deceiving with your shots...keep your opponent guessing so they cannont anticipate your shots.

16. May

May Guest

There's defending, serving low and fast, and lobshots. But it has never worked with me.

17. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Shaun is right...

Shaun is right, there are many drawbacks to being aggressive, and smashing a lot.
    Fortunately we have stamina and can stay in the game longer.
    However, smashing too much is not a great way to play, again Shaun is right.
    It makes the player too predictable, and also the rally does not feel as smooth as it would other wise from perfectly placed shots where everyone on the court is moving.

18. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

Re: Shaun is right...

Live by the smash...and die by the smash...(that's what my coach often told me)

19. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

As the defender, your goal is to get back onto the offensive. Like others have suggested, you have to take away their opportunity to smash using flat drives (down the side lines) or soft blocks to the net. Also, the element of surprise is crucial here since if you always block, your opponent at the net may anticipate your return and tap it down.

Here's what I usually do when I'm defending (BTW, I'm not completely comfortable w/ returning smashes):

If I can somewhat handle the smash:
    1. I'd lift it back a few times, trying to push him as far back as possible (so his smash will be essentially weaker).
    2. When I see the opportunity, I drive it flat down the side and move up to the net, while keeping my racket up to intercept any quick drive returns, while my partner moves to the back. We then take the offensive.

If I can't handle the smash:
    1. I'd tend to block it to the net and follow it up.
    2. Or, lift it as far back as I can and stand deeply on my side of the court to give me more of a chance to return it (but always be mentally prepared for a drop).
    3. Or, lift it cross-court (high and as deep as I can) to make my opponent run (out of position) and make him smash on my partner (people tend to smash straight). This may sound unusually cruel to my partner, but he is more comfortable w/ the smash return.