Help Me With Coming Tourny =)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by KelvinAh, Jun 2, 2009.

1. KelvinAh

KelvinAh New Member

Student
    HELLO !!!

ok guys, i have a upcoming school tourny in 2 weeks time, and i think i should buy a backup racquet juz incase mine's string broke halfway..
    so for me im a heavy and tall guy, fat too (184cm 104kg):) , but i can play well in singles. i've played with some of my school's badminton team guys and i won 70% of the time, somehow i can be fast lol.. i've played for 1 year plus now and i've been using yonex AT250 racquet with BG65 string at 25lb.

i think im used to head heavy racquets, but i've seen the new range of AT's came out this 2009, i got excited!! but the prices in singapore is around 100+ dollars:crying:, last time when i got my AT250 it was only 79 dollars. so guys please help recammand me which racquet to buy as a backup racquet? best below 100 dollars.:rolleyes: sometimes im thinking what happens if i try a headlight racquet.. (been using AT250 for so long lol)
    And also, how should i prepare for a tourny? im excited lol.

Sorry for long text!:D Thanks too !

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The last thing you want to do just before or during the tournament is to switch to a totally different racket. Unless you breaks strings like the pros, you can consider re-string the rackets a few days prior to the tourny. This way, it should last you through.

Switch to a completely different racket takes time to get used to, and it will screw up your games for a reasonable period of time.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree with LB. No need to get a racquet with different feeling. However, AT250 might be discontinued in your marketing area. You might be able to get one at discount or clearance. If you can not get one, the next closest on in Yoenx line is AT50.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    This is quality advise (as usual) from Master LazyBuddy. If you want to buy a backup racket, buy another AT250. It doesn't matter what generation of AT250 just that it's an AT250. That way, if you do break a string, you'll have another one of exactly the same racket to play with. Also, string it with your usual setup.

If you want to be really pedantic about your gear, you could either pay a bit more and get a shop to see if they could get an AT250 with the specs exactly the same as the one you have now or failing that, use lead tape to even them both out. If not, just an AT250 in stock form would also be fine.

5. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    If you still want to get a racket, maybe you should get another AT250 :/

6. KelvinAh

KelvinAh New Member

Student
    hmm okay, guess i was too curious to have the idea of changing different racquet.
    YAR! i've checked a few stores and asked about AT250, its not in stock anymore..
    so AT50 is the closest to my AT250? hmm, price is above my budget, will think about it. to add on, i mostly does clear/lifts, likes netplays especially. i think its safest for me to get an AT50, or maybe restring my AT250. cause i dont have high cash atm.. thanks guys for the reply. =)

7. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I have 6 different rackets in my bag, and i use all of them(although, i do use some more then others). Mp 100, mp99, qiangly carbon power(some chinese kid made this fake racket), carlton powerflow, blackknight powerchannel-vibraplate 50/60.

I've become acustomed to switching rackets every game, it never hurts to have options with your rackets. So if you're going to look into buying a new racket, you might want to consider something else.

I do agree though, if you're playing well with a certain racket, it's probably best to continue with it

8. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    huh!?:eek: what do you mean by that?

9. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    My uncle bought the racket in china, so he assumes that some kid made it, it's an excellent racket. Just our little joke, sorry if I offended you

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

I agree, restring your racket with a durable string, like BG65. while it does drop in tension, since it is so durable,and you will be using it immediately after, there wont be much difference.

11. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Haha no it's okay. I was actually imagining a kid constructing a racket solely by himself lol :p