Auckland International Series, June 17-21

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by Sandy, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

The Entry List file,

Attached Files:

2. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Some INA/Djarum's players will compete in here instead of Indonesia Open which held in same week

MS
    Arief Gifar RAMADHAN
    Riyanto SUBAGJA 66705

WS
    Febby ANGGUNI 66963
    Rosaria Yusfin PUNGKASARI 54150
    Ana ROVITA 48714

MD
    Berry ANGRIAWAN/Muhammad ULINNUHA
    Didit Juang INDIARTO/Seiko Wahyu KUSDIANTO

WD
    Jenna GOZALI/Rufika OLIVTA
    Yayu RAHAYU/Delis YULIANA

XD
    Muhammad ULINNUHA/Jenna GOZALI
    Didit Juang INDIARTO/Yayu RAHAYU
    Berry ANGRIAWAN/Delis YULIANA

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As I expected, because they don't even have the ranking pts to compete in the INA SS anyway.

Now, the Auckland Int Series will represent these players' first chance of winning WR points. High hopes are placed esp on Ulin/Berry, Ulin/Jenna and Jenna/Oliv.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    No Jeff Tho?

how come?

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I agree. Ullin-Berry and Ullin-Jenna has the best chance of getting anything here from INA... On the WS side, I think Pipin and Febby can go pretty far... :cool: I hope Febby can get another International Challenge title under her belt [after her 2008 Malaysian Challenge win]... That way she can be quite well seeded at the Asian Junior or World Junior [if PBSI allow her to play]... :cool: In the last few months, Febby has shown that she is mentally very tough and can beat many good players older than her...

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup...I agree on Krisna's assessment. But this Auckland tourney is an International Series level, offering only 2500 pts to winners.

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Oops... I forgot they downgraded this tournament to an International Series a few months ago... :p

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Given the lack of other ASEAN competitors here, I think INA can win:
    3 titles (70% chance); in MD, XD, and WS
    4 titles (40% chance); in MD, XD, WS, and WD
    5 titles (10% chance); in MD, XD, WS, WD, and MS
    :p

9. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

err, i can only see australia, new zealand, mexico and indonesia players in this tournament:rolleyes:

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Are any of the seeded NZers good players?

That's right... :D I suppose the other countries think the distance [thus the travelling expense] is not worth it. Except for Rosaria 'Pipin' Pungkasari, all the INA players are 19 years or younger. This event is mainly used to gain international experience for the INA Juniors...

I still think INA has a good chance in WS, MD, and XD... I don't know who Joe Wu, Dean Nuttall, Bjorn Seguin, and James Eunson are... Are any of these 4 seeded MS New Zealanders good? :confused: I wonder whether Gifar or Riyanto can defeat them... :p

#11 Krisna, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup...the INA pairs are being kept apart. We'll see how the boys perform next week.

13. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    News about Bjorn Seguin [seed #3/4] and James Eunson [seed #3/4]

Bjorn Wins Third Title in a Row

[​IMG]

Waikato badminton player Bjorn Seguin, 19 celebrated his third tournament win in succession after having a straight set victory in the final of the North Island and Northland championships in Whangarei over the weekend.
    To add to his recent triumphs at the New Zealand U23, the North Harbour Open and the latest in Northland the talented teenager also won the doubles title at the event, teaming with fellow Waikato player, Michael Fowke to defeat Southland's James Eunson and Ashraf Dhoray(Auckland).
    The victory in doubles proved how strong the Waikato region has become in the sport in recent times firstly under the guidance of TJ Weistra and now current coach Luiz Suarez from Mexico.
    American-born Seguin is not yet available for New Zealand under Badminton World Federation criteria . He can play Whyte Trophy for his adopted nation but is still ineligible for the Commonwealth Games.
    It was a tough event for Southland's Eunson, 19 who made three finals and lost all three. In the singles he was beaten by Seguin 21-14 21-17. The doubles was also straight games while the mixed went three games as Malaysian-born, Wellington-resident Jian de Chew celebrated his 29th birthday by teaming with Southland's Anna Rankin to defeat Eunson and Auckland Stephanie Cheng.
    The women's singles was a reverse of the New Zealand U23 final with Auckland's Clare Chapple showing plenty of resolve to come from a game down to defeat Rankin 14-21 21-18 21-18.
    Emma Chapple and Stephanie Cheng took three games to overcome the young pair of Kritteka Gregory and Mary O'Connor from Waitakere for the women's doubles title.
    ------------------------------------------
    Let's see how Bjorn fairs against Gifar... :D INA's #1 BS in... the Under-16 category... :p They should meet in the quarterfinals... ;)

14. otaclub

otaclub Regular Member

College Student
    cant wait to see this INA kids performs..had high hopes for them

15. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

& thanks for putting that article up Krisna. I was hoping someone who had seen these boys play recently would reply. (& I've never seen James or Bjorn play singles) But all 4 of these guys are very fit. Bjorn would probably be on the NZ squad if he was a NZ citizen. James & Joe are on the squad. Dean was on various development squads over the years. I'm assuming he still works for badminton North Harbour which would give him heaps of time to practice!

I was wondering - does anyone known if John Moody & Craig Cooper have retired? They aren't listed as being on the National team any more.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed....we might see:
    all INA Finals in MD and XD in particular.

17. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    I havnt seen the INA players play...but i remember playing against BJORN and Eunson 2 years ago when i competed at nationals u19. They were great players then and after a couple more years of hard training im sure they are gona be tough to beat.

Time for me to train even harder to catch back up after my time off!!!
    And i think Craig and John most likely have retired. (cant definately confirm it though)

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Riyanto and Gifar are also very fit [for their age, 16 and 15]... :cool: They are, after all, pupils of Coach Fang Kaixiang, who said, "Obtaining physical fitness is the most brainless thing one can do in badminton. Other players may beat you in technique or playing style or intelligence, but you may never be beaten in terms of physical fitness."

Gifar is through to the next round after a very easy 1st round win just now... :cool:

19. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

Luke is also a junior - around 17 or 18 now though. The ease of the win is a bit of a concern though.

& another player missing - whats happened to Ethan Haggo?

#19 eek!oh!, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Gifar and Yayu-Didit are through...