How do you choose the right racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Gold-, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    how do u guys find out which type of racket flexibility suit u?when i play i cant determine whether i can flex that racket. in conclusion i wan to buy a racket but i dun know which flexibility suits me

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

as long as the racket suits you, and u love the rackets. that the sutable racket for you for sure!!:D

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good advice, George, for choosing a racket... or a spouse.:)
    ------
    Gold, you have two choices:
    If you are poor then you get any reasonable racket and practice and practice. Once you've gotten amazingly good, you will probably notice if there are some minor racket characteristics that might make it worth your while to buy a different racket.

If you are rich you can buy many rackets, fool around with each without getting used to any, until one day you catch on that the poor guy is the smart one. (I won't tell you which guy I was)

4. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    sry but that kinda not helping much but never mid any tks but can u feel that u flex the shaft when u hit the shuttle?. how is the feeling like?

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

just take your racket, and find out what you want from any racket, ie, the feel and specs. then, go hunt for a model that has them. then, play with that.

fidgets advice as well as george's is quite sound. dont brush it off so quickly..

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You are right, my comments were not helpful, sorry. But what I really meant is that it is impossible for someone online to tell you what you will like. It is only through borrowing and trying a few rackets that you will be able to define your own preference.

My experience (if it is worth anything) was that I initiallythought I would need a flexible racket because I'm not that strong in the wrist. However it turns out that I like stiff (not overly stiff) rackets that are evenly to slightly head heavy balanced. It really is the play of the balance and stiffness that counts.
    So you must find this by experimenting with borrowed rackets, and then take the plunge and buy one....then practice practice practice.

Sincerely I wish you good luck.:)
    (PS I don't know what flexing the shaft "feels" like. But the practical application is that if your shots have no power and your smashes waft out the back, then you probably aren't flexing the racket)

#6 Fidget, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

or...some people just see what the pro's are using...and ta~da! the perfect racket even if it is too much to handle

8. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Lemme ask you this...
    how do u guys find out the right girl?
    :D

9. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    I usually look for the following:
    - 3U or 4U (preferably) weight
    - long bodied
    - even balanced or slightly 'top' heavy
    - very flexible

:)

But jokes aside, it is a trial and error process really. It would take time and money to find the ideal racquet for you, ideal being a very subjective matter specific to the user. Best advice is to find something in the middle ground of everything and work from there.

Justin

#9 justinwyyau, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

You are damn good...
    No comment...

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Same as picking the racket = try it yourself, then make the decision. :D The more chances you can try, the better the result is. :D

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think u are both at one time but i won't disclose which came first:D

13. elmizze

elmizze Regular Member

Errrr... it's like finding the perfect girl for oneself. I think one can never get one actually. It's like you pick faults and when you look at other and start to compare and think this is better, that aspect is worse, ya da ya da... :D

I guess same goes for rackets. When you see new models coming out you get a feeling of 'must try'. When you see others playing well with a certain racket, you think 'better than mine'. Hahah....

But I guess the main difference is that rackets do not come with human feelings and modesty unlike women. So basically to find the right racket you can try as many rackets as your money can take you without so much guilt as trying as many women as possible... heheh... :p

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Who cares about if you can flex the shaft??

If you can get good power from the racquet, and it feels comfortable when you hit the bird, and you like the headspeed, then buy it.

15. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Thank you very much. Haha:D

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah to be honest , just choose a racket that you like. I try to never look at the stifness/balance point of the racket until after I have used the racket. It helps when deciding.

I think what you should do , is just borrow a few of your friends rackets for a night or a game or two. Then if you can find your preference "zone" , then when deciding to choose a racket choose a racket that is in your "zone".

Personally I think it is trial and error.

17. Haha84

Haha84 Regular Member

Student
    Gold... seriously.. i think u focus too much on the racket already... There is no such thing as a perfect racket because nothing's perfect... Jus get a racket u are more comfortable/suitable with and use it. For the last bit.. jus adapt to the racket... racket is dead they cant adapt to u so u jus adapt to the racket... holding the best racket doesnt make u the best player!

18. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I agree with HaHa a bit , but not completeley.

I think that you should find a racket that suits you - but instead of everyone complaining about the racket - work on their skills...

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi K,
    Let me know if my interpretation of your post right.
    It is not the size of your tool. It is how you use it. You need to hit the right place and has the endurance for last right?:confused::eek::D

20. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    I Dint Ask For A Perfect Racquet For Me. I Am Just Asking How U Choose It So It Would Give Me Some Idea On Wad To Buy