badminton all night.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Sep 22, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the US Open ended around midnight, RedDog, iyang and Lefty went to San Gabriel Valley for more badminton, they are nuts. :)

our group wasn't too excited about going there (i was ;) ) so we went home. after we got home, 3 of us were debating for nearly an hour about whether we should go or not. the ladies was like "crazy" and went to bed. and we were like, "what the heck" and packed our bags and went.

we got to the gym around 3am, the gym still have tens of people! the gym is a 24hrs gym which is card operated. you purchase a card and it last for the whole day.

anyhow, we just played and played and played till 6am. some of us were hardly awake when we played our games.

we left the place around 6am. on our way out, there are guys who are coming in for the morning session!

playing badminton while tired is a strange thing. i was playing two very good and clear minded games. i was doing everythign right. after we won those two games, we sat down for 10 mins, chatted a little bit, that was around 5am. after that, we started another match. i wasn't alert anymore. i had the energy, i wasn't sleepy at all, but my brain wasn't working.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this should go down as another entry into the badminton fanatic collection :)

3. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Impressive!!!

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    ha ha! excellent :cool:

5. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

Now the ultimate challenge.....24 hour badminton!!!

Matt

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

The great thing about the 24-hr. club is that you can have night time working hours and still get to play. Or, if you just want to do drills, there is plenty of time when there are courts open.

Now, as far as I know, there is no Guiness World Record for non-stop badminton playing. Here is someone's chance for fame!

7. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Night badminton ... these are nice experiences, you won't forget them easy!

My night experience :
    I once subscribed to a 12 hour team tournament, to be played from friday 8 pm till saturday 8 am.
    After we sent the forms, but about a month before that tournament, my friend whom i play mixed doubles with asked me to join her in another normal weekend tournament as well. My first reaction was yes fine, but then i realised that tournament started on the same day the 12 hour tournament ended, so i said to her : 'oh no, we cannot participate, we have to do the 12 hour tournament on that date. Surprisingly, she answered : yes i know, but, living on the edge, are you in or not ? 'you're absolutely crazy', i said. 'we are gonna regret this, but o.k, i'm in'

And so it went, we did the team tournament, played a lot of matches, all doubles and mixed, music on the background, very nice ! There was no time to take a nap, so not surprisingly everyone including me was kinda tired at the end of that tournament. It turned out that our team won most matches and we won the tournament.
    Breakfast was planned after the price ceremony somewhere around 8.15 hours a.m. and because i also filled in for singles at the weekend tournament, i had to show up on 8.30 a.m. in that tournament 20-30 miles away, which was also the first match to be played of the whole tournament. So my mixed partner and i left to the other tournament and had to skip the price ceremony and breakfast.
    When we arrived at the other tournament, i had to wait 15 minutes or so before that match started. Sitting on the bench, i almost fell asleep !
    The guy i had to play against, came fresh from his bed.. but against all my expectations, i won that match ! That was one of my weirdest victories.
    Short after that match, i had to play the second singles match. First few points went ok, but then it was like i hit a big wall or something, and it felt like i drunk 30 espresso's or so but also verrrryyy tired. So the result was a obvious loss and yes, its nice to have such a good excuse :D
    My mixed partner played and strangely also won her first round. Then one of the teammembers from our winning '12-hour-team' came to visit us. He brought a big pie, which was the price for the team tournament. Yes why not eat pie between matches, so we did ! Then we had to wait almost 2 hours before our mixed doubles match. Sitting at a table we both fell asleep for more than half an hour, waked by someone yelling that someone's french fries was ready. At that time we were both verrryyy tired, soon after that we played our mixed, guess what the result was.. no we didn't win off course.
    But it sure was fun !!
    But i will never play 2 consecutve tournaments again... and she.. neither ;)
    Once i would like to do a 24 hour tournament

8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Badminton Forums Times Update..

South Bay, United States of America - This morning, at around 7:10 am, after a frantic call from a Miss Janet, paramedics and mental health officers for the South Bay region attended to a Mr Kwun at 7 Badminton Drive. Mr Kwun is the infamous administrator for the Badminton Forum website and is well known for his fanatic love affair with the badminton game.

Sadly, this love affair has ended in tragedy when Dr. Cooler pronounced Mr Kwun officially insane and mentally unstable when he recently returned from a nearby gym, proclaiming to have played badminton from the early wee hours to about 6 am this morning.

According to his bewildered partner, Miss Janet, Mr Kwun, ate,drank and slept badminton and was often seen sleepwalking around town and his workplace with a badminton racquet (a SS no doubt) in his right hand and a shuttlecock in his left hand. Prior to his mental state deterioration, Mr Kwun had attempted to sustain his mental faculty by attending the Badminton Annonymous, but to no avail.

Many are saddened by this event, including Mr Kwun's good and close friends, Mr Cheung and Mr Mag. Mr Cheung, also an avid badminton player is said to be mourning for his friend by holding a 1 minute silence before each of his singles game. Mr Mag who apparently was shocked when told of Mr Kwun's condition, was reported saying, "Poor Kwun, I always knew he was a few McNuggets short of a Happy Meal." When asked for clarification, Mr Mag then said, "You know..a few feathers short of a Yonex shuttlecock?". After the interview, Dr Cooler was also called to Mr Mag's residence for preliminary examinations. We will keep you updated with his condition.

Mr Kwun will be sadly missed by all of us here. His legacy will live on. There were already a few suggestions that the badminton gymnasium that Mr Kwun last played in should be renamed in his honour. Miss Janet is also in the process of grieving and is reported to be auctioning Mr Kwun's personal badminton items on his website, in the market forum. It is believed the money collected from this auction will go into financing Mr Kwun's medication and accomodation at the local mental hospital here, The Yang Yang Yin-Yang Balance of Life institute.

The website is currently being temporarily administrated by an unrevealed source. Share market prices for KrazyKwun Inc has been reported to have dropped by a large .4 percent at the news of Mr Kwun's demise of his mental health. We will also keep you updated with this news.

This has been jumpingsmashed to you by,
    Adelina76, the DownUnder correspondence kiwicheek reporter for Reuter

#8 adelina76, Sep 22, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    :D :D
    Good one, Adelina...

Some friends and I have been talking about leasing some warehouse space and converting it into a 24x7 badminton facility...

Maybe we should take the next step and bring it to reality and name it the Kwun Memorial Badminton Club... :D :D

10. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    adelina strikes again!

LOL! Great, clever, satire.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hope I can find such a place in NY... Then, I don't have to drive 50 miles just to play 3 hrs...:(

12. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Kwun, when do you find time to post on the forum?! Before you left LA? Don't tell me the first thing you do after you get back home is to post the forum...

Too bad you and Janet didn't make it to the OCBC after a crazy night (and morning) of badminton. But honestly, Lefty, Ining and I were kinda relefed to get your message of not going to play for more. Playing till 6am with only 3 hours of sleep is just crazy to play more. We all really wanted play, but afraid the body just won't prefrom anymore, so maybe it was a good idea after all. :eek:

We do look forward for your next trip down!! We all had a wonderful time! We got back to SD, and got more sleep...Lefty was joking about flying back and still have enough time to head to the gym and play for more. Don't tell me you guys drove stright to the Gym back there for more badminton...:p

13. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    50 miles(!)... ain't nothin' lazy 'bout that, buddy... ;)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, it gets better than that. at the end of the day... erm.. morning, Lefty and iyang was playing against me and this guy i will call Mr. T here. Mr. T, btw, line judged the US Open prior to going to play badminton in SVGBC, another fanatic indeed.

anyway, i digressed, so we played this match. the match lasted 3 games. at the end of the last game, we were setting at 14-14. exchanged a few services, tied at 16-16. after we tied at 16-16, we must have changed service 4 times, before we managed to scrape one point to win the match. 8 high tension serves with no points scored, and all these at 6am in the morning!

we reached home by around 7am and of the course the ladies were awoken and shaking their heads at us. we sheepishly showered and get to bed and luckily i didn't experienced that post badminton insomnia syndrome. i think i was quite a bit beyond tired to experience that... i woke up at around 11am. it was a refreshing though short sleep.

janet in the morning confessed that she was glad that she was in the shower when we decided to leave for the gym at 2am. i didn't drag her along as she looked very tired. but she told me that she probably wouldn't have resisted the temptation and would have went with us!

15. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think there is a record for continuous badminton. One of the coaches in my area participated in it about 12 years ago I think. He often tells the story to the kids he coaches. While I don't think he made it to the record himself, most of the rest of the group did, and its something like 3 consecutive days of playing with only short breaks. Most of the players ended up hallucinating by the end!!!! For those in the UK, it happened in Chilwell Olympia hall, and there is a plaque on the wall with all of the players names to mark the record attempt.

I don't know how someone could manage something like that!! :eek:

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very amusing

Sounds like I should have been around!

Story 1:

For me, I managed to start work once at 12 noon Sat and go on 8am the next day. Had one hour of sleep that night. :(

Same morning after th shift ended, I had to go play a doubles tournament. Supposed to be there at 9am, then after arriving, find out 1st match is 11am.

Sleep for 1 hour, play doubles (I warned my partner about by mental state). Hey, end up winning the tournament!:confused:

Story 2(bit unrelated to badminton)
    Still at Uni visiting a friend. A gang of us start playing cards. ("Big two"). We did more than 24 hours and went "Yum Cha" afterwards. Dunno if anybody has had the same experience but "Yum Cha" is a killer for making me feel sleepy after eating. Well, I decide to go back to my own place to sleep which is about 40 mins away on the Motorway (Freeway). I swear I saw a plane land across the Motorway and then turn parallel with my car(a VW Beetle) and the plane going in the same direction!!???
    By this time, I start shouting at my friend to shout at me back to stop me from falling asleep! Trouble was my friend was at the same card session and has already fallen asleep in the passenger seat. Man, that was scary and I don't advise anybody to do that i.e. drive after a all night session.Playing "Big Two" overnight is quite acceptable though.

Hey, I don't take any drugs but did somebody spike the food?? Hmm, could have been the chinese tea.

:p

Just for people's interest, I think if you have been sleep deprived and play badminton later, one hour of sleep during the tournament is OK (though you suffer the next two days). If you sleep for around 3 hours, the brain has gone into really deep sleep and it is really very difficult to recover from that.

Food (after being sleep deprived) makes you sleepy as well. There must be neural network involving the stomach/intestine and the brain. (That's why I keep falling asleep in the afternoons in school.;) )

Kwun, who drove back??

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it was a tough choice. our hearts told us that playing badminton in OCBC today would be quite fun! but then our common senses (however much we could claim after that morning) also told us that after only sleeping for 3 hours, and then we were only done with lunch at 3pm, and that we have to drive 6 hours to go back home afterwards and that OCBC is quite a bit out of the way and would add another hour to our drive, not to mention the traffic on sunday evening, all these together makes playing badminton today a bad idea..

it was indeed very nice to meet you guys again, sad to say we didn't have chance to play mixed against you and iyang again. but there will always be chance in the future, i am sure. :)

after janet and i decided to not go to OCBC, our consolation to ourselves was, "well, if the bug really bites, we can still play in the evening back home...." :D

it was a crazy weekend, it is finally winding down, and tomorrow would be dreadful day at work. isn't life a cycle?

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh, btw. all credits really should go to RedDog, iyang and Lefty. it was them who didn't even think twice about going to SGVBC right after the US Open (we had to deliberate for nearly an hour). and then they were the ones who went back to OCBC the next day! so the badminton fanatic title should go to them. :)

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Very amusing

you should!!

janet, who had 8 hours of beauty sleep, drove the first 3 hours while i catch up with sleep, and then i drove the next 3. we managed to get home by around 9.30pm.

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Badminton Extravaganza

Wow, what a trip! Didn't I hear somebody saying something like "naah, I don't think I'm gonna bother going to the US Open"? It seems it turned out to be a Badminton Weekend to remember!

And Adelina, what a knock-out! I'm still reeling... well, laughing anyway! :D