Is my raquet broken/about to break?

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by MOZYB, Jun 6, 2009.

1. MOZYB

MOZYB Regular Member

I have a yonex Ti 6 and when i swing it (at pace/violently) It cliks/tick but only one way. If i do it backhand or turn the head and swing it the other way around it doesn't make the sound. The sound appears to be coming from around the cone where the grip and the shaft meet. The performance of it hasn't changed.
    Should I be worried?
    Thanks in advance, James

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    No, you shouldn't be worried at all. The likelihood is, the cone has detached itself from the grip/shaft. This can be left as it is or if it's annoying you, I believe glue and some other methods can be used to stick it back down. I'm quite sure some forum members have done it so maybe they could be more of a help to you.

3. MOZYB

MOZYB Regular Member

I was thinking about sticking glue down there before so ill give it a go

4. wenqi

wenqi Regular Member

student
    maybe ur handle is breaking. i have one racket with this problem. a few months later, the handle broke xD

5. pullmyfinger

pullmyfinger New Member

I had same thing happen to me for a Yonex AT800. Eventually the clicking became louder and eventually a crease (about 1mm) developed between the shaft and handle cone, it was big enough that the shaft actually was able to move around a little bit. RAed to Yonex USA, with a little bit of explaination, and they sent me a new one.

I also had a yonex MP99, the shaft became loose from smashing, and eventually it became loose enough that the shaft came out of the handle by about 3 or 4mm. I RAed that to Yonex USA also got a new one back.

I think the clicking sound means the joint inside the handle is breaking, and if you try to smash harder, the shaft will eventually become loose

6. okoman

okoman Regular Member

clicking sound

Usually with Yonex racquets, the cliking sound comes from the outside laminate breaking down. Everyone that I have seen seems like graphite bands (vertical) beging to peel upward from inside the grip. I have seen many do this same thing. I find that you can still play with it but the stiffness begins to change the more noise it makes.

7. All But One

All But One Regular Member

Student
    I have two rackets a old yonex isometric vf, and a prince warrior.
    Both have the same problem... a crack has appeared on the cone (starts at the shaft end but is not on the shaft) it opens and closes as you flex the racket.
    As far as i know the cone is just to cover the join between the handle and shaft to make the racket look tidy. Is this true, should i be worried about this problem?
    in the mean time i have put a 'cast' over the cone to prevent the crack spreading up to the handle.

Any ideas?