New Scoring Format

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CJ, Feb 19, 2001.

1. CJ

CJ Guest

What do people think about the new 7-point per game, best-of-5-game scoring format? It was used in last year's Danish Open and will be used in several major tournaments this year.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I hope that's all they changes to make the tv audience happy. Look at judo, the olympic judo is no where near what judo originally was.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The new scoring system sucks. Sorry for my language but it really does. Its crap. I don't think they did use it at the last Danish Open. I saw the match between Peter Gade and George Rimarcdi and they played the original rules...

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I agree with Byro on this one.... typed this terribly lengthy mail bashing the new system on another forum. Basically it's part of IBF's scheme to make it more watchable. The game will get shorter and sponsors will be more willing to put in the cash. Then it gets more airing time. Then badminton will become a core Olympic sport (methinks it's not for the time being). Coz in the words of our dear IOC Chairperson, Mr. Juan Antonio Samaranch, "there are only 2 kinds of sport, the kind that can be watched and the kind that can't" (Sir, if you ever read this, sorry for any misquotes).

Problem is: does changing it from 3x15 to 5x7 help? Dun really think so. Ppl are willing to watch 20 men kick a piece of leather around for 90 minutes (minus extra time and penalty kicks) without any goals being scored. It all lies in the audience's taste. The new format is s'pposed to make the game faster and more attractive to parts of the world that dun watch it. But if those ppl already see badminton as a "non-sport" (Time Magazine) and a "sissy game" (badminton bashers from some continent better left un-mentioned), does the IBF think they can convince such ppl otherwise???

Besides, changing the format of the game will take the oomph out of it. The best thing abt badminton, at least for a spectator like me, is to see the players claw back pt by pt, even when they're trailing behind. It takes lots of raw guts and determintation to be say 1-14 down and then get back to win the game (the amazing Han Jian has dunnit before, according to my parents who witnessed the match live.... granted there aren't that many Han Jians, but you get my drift). 5x7 goes far too quickly. I read some stats on how much the new format will shorten the game. Certainly didn't sound promising.

Strangely enuff, the players all seem pretty upbeat abt it. Those that have given the system the thumbs-up include Mr and Mrs Christensen, Tony Gunawan,
    Hendrawan (the two Indons said 5x9 wld be better though). Those who have bashed it include Li Yongbo (Chn headcoach) and Leo Wiranata (PBSI chairperson).

Sorry for rambling once again...

5. Mark

Mark Guest

Yuk, this new scoring system is horrible, although it suit my game.

I have a tendancy to start extremely strong and race ahead to 4/5 points. This literally ruins games, as with this lead, many opponents can't catch up and give a fight. I still hate the new scoring system though, as adel says, it takes the battle out of the game when you a hopelessly behind and have to fight your pants of the scrap back into it.

I hate that it will shorten the game. At present you can by scoring 2 * 15 = 30 points, but under the new system, you can win with 3 * 7 = 21. What the hell are they thinking.

I know that some tournaments have tried a 5 sets to 9 system and I think that this is much better. Atleast a game going to the wire will still require 45 points to be won, so it does not change the game as much. Also even if you are caught 5-1 or 5-0 down in a set, there is still plenty of time to fight your way back into the game.

Anyone else agree on 5 sets to 9 being the better of the new possible formats?

Think I email the IBF about this, see what they have to say.

Mark

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi all,

i see there are quite a few people who don't like the idea of 5x7. how about we each send IBF an email voicing our concern?

kwun

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I was just about to say that Kwun...... thanx
    Do you have the address by any chance?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is a <a target=top_ href="http://www.intbadfed.org/staff.html">link</a> to the IBF page which has most of the mails, another page even have Mdm Lu's (IBF president) email. how about we all mail Lindsey Bell, who's the IBF media officer.

kwun

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Byro-Nenium,

do me a favor, if you have drafted the email to IBF, can you send me a copy? i want to put it up on this site as a mailto link. then anyone who want to send a similar mail can get a formatted copy by just clicking a link.

my English is pretty bad..

thanks,
    kwun

10. May

May Guest

Really??

11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
  12. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Sorry this msg contains some digressions but I'm too tired to start a new thread. Anyway... since you mentioned it, Kwan: will the IBF take what we say seriously? I dunno, but it's worth a try. People power? Hmmm, I like that. Btw, your english seems pretty ok to me. Last but not least, just wanna say thanks everyone, for being such nice, rational ppl. Just went on the worldbadminton.net forum and may I say it was a disaster. No offense to anyone who goes there... some of the msgs nearly drove me crazy.

Btw, I realised on one of my sleepness nights that IBF is the opp of FBI. Yeah, like it's such a great revelation... let me take cover before the tomatoes come...

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: New Scoring Format - the sucking way

first change was to 9x5 scoring system and now to 7x5 system, what other unforseen changes (sacrifices) looming for true badminton enthuists to make tv audience and olympic officals happy? I can live with 9x5 as point wise is similar to 15x3. However, i can't live with 7x5 system, the game of badminton is fundamentally altered by going to the 7x5 scoring system.

Exbounding on byro statement **The new scoring system sucks**. Maybe we can take this statement literally. We can adopt this new scoring system 7x5 for the time being in order to SUCKS in enough badminton illiterates into watching badminton on tv for it to become a mainstream sport event. After that, we, or IBF, can reverts back to the original 15x3 scoring system. Amen.

Cooler

14. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Doing that would be a good idea cooler but would people want to still play the sport after we change the rules back again? People probably wouldn't want to, well at least those who started during the new rule time wouldn't

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks! i got the mail... i am going to format it now.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    adel,

i don't know if it'd help. but we will never know if we don't try! yeah, people power!

kwun

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah, are you going to help, May?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I think most future badminton players would like the change back to 15x3 scoring system because these badminton players would come appreciate the advantages of the 15x3 system.

19. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I guess

20. alex

alex Guest

What the heck is with this new rule??? it's pathetic and stupid. I can't believe they changed it to make the media happy. I usually m down 3 to 4 points in a game before I can get back and with this new rule it's not just bad but it's next to impossible to catch up. It took the fun out of the game... anyway... I did send an email to IBF and still waiting for the reply.