Ti-10 or NS9.9K?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mcchooi, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

just a general wondering...

need a head-light racquet. my current AT700LTD contributing to a tennis elbow i'm developing.

should i go for Ti-10 (Purple) or NS9.9K? or any other head-light racquet that packs in a good punch?

have always been stringing racquets at 23-24lbs. i think i need to try 'upping' the tension to see if i can adapt appropriately.

thanks in advance for any advice...

2. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    If your tennis elbow is due to wrong technique, the NS9.9k won't make it go away as it is head light and x-stiff which means it is not forgiving. In fact, the AT700 is quite forgiving as it is head heavy which helps generate power.

Ti10 will be easier to use than the NS9.9k but my advice is to see ask around and see if there's a need to improve your technique.

3. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    it's not always about power that win games. i'd try out both of em before buying. and if your getting tennis elbow then you want drop the tension level, no upping it.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    CHOcobo got a point. Tennis elbow is bad and you should not go up in tension. Also, doesn't matter what racquet you use, if your techniques are wrong, you'll develop tennis elbow.

5. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

thanks for your advice so far. i'm discounting the fact that the tennis elbow is directly linked to poor tech. my reason is as follow: i've had tennis elbow twice...on both occasions shortly after i've switched to head heavy racquets. first time to a gosen (can't remember the model) and this time to AT700LTD. my tech have pretty much been consistent throughout.

uh...and i should have made it clear that my intention to try a higher tension wasn't a solution for my tennis elbow. i was merely trying to mimick the professionals and see how that will change my game. but based on your advice, i will definitely maintain, if not reduce the tension until i'm fully recovered.

but btw do you guys know why high(er) tension is more damaging to the condition?

and back to my original query, can someone pls help me choose between ti-10 or NS9.9K? i'm a club level doubles player, mainly offensive play :cool:

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

yeah, pro's can use 32+ pounds for tension. not very good for your arm.

higher tension = tighter strings = harder to hit. if you have good technique, it will allow you to transfer the forces on yourself into the proper areas of your body, and allow you play better shots. bad technique will reap the forces around, causing pain.

7. Wan Njang

Wan Njang Regular Member

Gomen Staff
    I would suggest u go for the Ti10...easier to generate power for ur smash

8. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I assume you're talking about your condition of tennis elbow, and jymbalaya has kindly explained.

I think if you are mainly playing offensive double, then Ti-10 would be a better choice since it's easier to generate power. If you are a wrist-ty player who loves to play net shots but also does a lot of smashes from backcourt, then NS9.9K is better.

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Higher tension creates more vibration especially if you hit off the sweet spot and that's easy to do as the sweet spot is also smaller when the tension goes higher.

However, if you have good techniques, you can minimize the injuries caused by high tension or stiff racquets.

10. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

11. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

i'm a bit of a creature of comfort...have always been using grip G5...and i think i'll be quite reluctant to change. bigger grips quite naturally limit my manouverability (of the racquet)

guess my plan of action is to:
    - switch to ti-10
    - drop tension from 24 to 22lbs (temporarily)
    - rest til ausgust/september before i start playing again

thanks you all for the advice and explanation given.

12. shihman

shihman Regular Member

i would like to chime in a bit on this topic. first i do believe nano9.9k is better for tennis elbow simply because of the newer technology. the nano9.9k has much less vibration down the shaft to your arm than the ti-10 even when you miss hit. i also had tendentious in my arm, but was in the forearm area instead of the elbow. i was using at900t and now nano9.9k. when i use the nano9.9k, i don't even need to use my arm band to help alleviate forearm pain. but when i use at900t, i can feel the pain. call it bad form or what have you, i am just speaking from experience. i also used to be a collegiate tennis player and newer technology does make a difference in tennis elbow.

now, you also mention you want more power and you are a double player. sofar my experience with nano9.9k is that the sweetspot is fairly small compare to an at900t and if you don't hit the shuttle right, there are very little power can be generated. however, if you do, wow the power is amazing. i am still in the process of making the transition to nano9.9k. my timing is still a lil off because of the light head. as for string tensions, yes lower tension gives you more power but some strings does need to be string at certain tension and above to get the max. power out of them.

now if you are considering switch/getting a new racket. for a club double player, at900t is also a good choice. very fast and good power. also you may want to look into getting a tennis elbow strap for your elbow pain.

that's just my 2 cents. i hope i didn't step on anyone's toe.

13. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

hi shihman - oh no! i'm back to being undecided between the 2 racquets again! thanks to you *joking*

i have been using an aircast elbow brace and prior to using AT700LTD, i've been using the AT900T (great racquet btw)

i'll comtemplate on these racquets again...knowing myself, i will most probably go for one that's aesthetically most pleasing lol

either that...or maybe one of each...IF they play similar

thanks for all the advice again

14. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

15. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Rebuttal

OP mentioned 'tennis elbow', hence I highlighted the potential cause to him.

Not badmitnon but applies to racquet sports like badminton:D.

Feel free to come out with evidence or data to prove otherwise, I'll defend my thesis.

16. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

the grip size for badminton and tennis is different. Tennis grips are far bigger than those of badminton.

17. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

24lbs isn't that high imo. but for how long have you been using 24lbs? think your hitting technique is wrong.

18. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Mcchooi,

I've been playing with the Ti-10 (TW Version) for the last six months and have been loving it. The Ti-10 provides good power and still benefit from the head-light attributes such as defense and drives (in fact it's a head light racquet with good power). Before that, I was playing with the AT900T and sometimes, miss the power I was able to generate off of the heavy racket head (although I don't miss my defense with it). I'm hoping that the NS9K9 will live up to the good review from some dedicated users of this site and provide me with a good medium. I've tried just about all the higher-end Yonex rackets (NS9000S/X, NS7700, AT900T/P, AS10/9) and the only ones I ended keeping are the Ti-10 and the AT900T. I should receive my NS9K9 this week and will let you know if I like it or not.

By the way, when I was playing with the NS9000X, I started to have shoulder and wrist pain due to the fact that the racquet require much faster swing speed to generate power. But if you can properly bent the shaft, Wow!!!! After a while, I decided to switch to the NS9000S for easier play and to reduce my injuries. For this reason, I recommend the Ti-10 over the NS9K9 (extra stiff). This is the reason why I may not end up keeping my new NS9K9 and just stay with Ti-10.

19. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

hubie214 - you're a star! thanks for your advice...i look forward to your review on the NS9.9K.

i think if they are both head-light, i might end up buying one of each...

i totally agree with AT900T. i used it for over a year, before i started using the AT700LTD. it's a great racquet all-round...but decided to switch to AT700LTD because it does pack in a far harder smash.

anyway, pls keep me posted on your new NS9.9K

20. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Mcchooi,

After playing the NS9.9K twice, here's my comparison to Ti-10. But please be be aware that this comparison does NOT include other racquets, and that opinions may vary from player to player:

Same with other reviewers, the NS9.9K felt very stiff in the beginning, and softens a little after the first few games (maybe caused by the new string). After the first few games, Wow, you can definitely get more power in your smashes with the NS9.9K. However, my flat drives didn't seem to be as deep and didn't have the "pop" to it. The NS9.9K's racquet head feels a little heavier than the Ti-10 and my reflex suffered during defense.

In summary, the NS9.9K is the best for an aggressive singles player or a back course doubles player who smashes a lot. But if you are more of a front court doubles player or a mixed doubles "men" who flat drives a lot, the Ti-10 is a better choice for you (quicker racquet speed as well as shuttle speed for flat drives).

But if you have the funds to get both, why not?