User Tag List

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friendly Badminton Tourny - 12/3

Please check http://www.friendlybadminton.com/def...ive_page_id=75 for detail information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a new member, and looking for the place to play badminton in lower manhattan as I work in that area, I want to play it after my work during the weekday. I live in Forest Hills, Queens, and I am looking for a place to play it during the week end. Please provide me the sources you knew, so that I can contact or go over there to register.

Thanks.
    Jenny

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. www.nycbadminton.com (Manhattan locations):

They play on Tues, Wed, Fri and Sunday in 3 different locations. Personally, I believe the Sunday one is the best, with the better gym and less ppl. Check their site for detail information. I believe drop in is around US$25 per session. Bring you racket, and shuttles are provided by the club.

2. www.queensbadminton.com (John Bowne HS, Flushing):
    This is a sub-brance from NYCB, and they play on Tues, Thurs and Sat afternoon. Good gym, but attendance greatly varies. Sometimes, it could be packed, some times, not many ppl at all. Drop in is around $11, I think. Bring your own racket and shuttles.

3. www.friendlybadminton.com (Jamaica HS)
    Sat 9:30 - 3:30. Accessable by F train (as you live in Forrest Hills). Contact them for detail schedule.

4. www.friendlybadminton.com (Hoboken, NJ)
    Sounds far, but many ppl from NY carpool going over there. Quite a few members meet around Queens Center area, and carpool. Time is sunday afternoon (12:30-1:30 training, 1:30 - 5:30 practice)

5. www.brooklynbadminton.com
    They play on Sat 9:30 - 3:45. 8 courts mean a lot of court time for everyone. However, you need a car to drive there, as trains are very limited during weekend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friendly Club - update

Check www.friendlybadminton.com (JHS) for updated schedule on Sat. I believe start from January, their practice shifted to 1-7pm. I believe the training is from 1-2pm, and from 2 (or 2:30) and on is the regular practice sessions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friendly Club update

Their 3rd location will be open on 4/18:

Junior High School 185 (JHS 185) (Wednesday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM).
    Address: 147-26 25th Drive. Flushing NY 11354 (get direction)
    New Location!!, Starting April 18th, 2007 (4 courts)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Their 3rd location will be open on 4/18:

Junior High School 185 (JHS 185) (Wednesday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM).
    Address: 147-26 25th Drive. Flushing NY 11354 (get direction)
    New Location!!, Starting April 18th, 2007 (4 courts)
    Per players' request, I believe they extend the time to 10:30pm now. So, 4 hrs of playing time, means more games and more fun.

I was there for the grand opening, the school was a bit confusing to find, but plenty of parking space (street parking). The height of the ceiling is alright, but the light was a bit annoying. However, if you usually play in HS gyms, you should be able to get use to it very fast. It turned out to be quite a lot of ppl showed on that night, so, quite a few games with the old buddies and new comers.

A good alternate choice to social and competitive games (overall level is pretty good) in Queens area.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Queens (NYCB) Badminton update

From 5/11 - 6/22 (at least), Queens Badminton Club will also have practice on every Friday at John Bowne H.S (7:30 - 10:30?).

For detail information, please visit their site @ www.queensbadminton.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NY metro area club list update

Per some requests, here's the updated list for some well known NYC area clubs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. www.nycbadminton.com (Manhattan locations):

They play on Tues, Wed, Fri and Sunday in 3 different locations. Personally, I believe the Sunday one is the best, with the better gym and less ppl. Check their site for detail information. I believe drop in is around US$25 per session. Bring you racket, and shuttles are provided by the club.

2. www.queensbadminton.com (John Bowne HS, Flushing):
    This is a sub-brance from NYCB, and they play on Tues, Thurs, Fri (NEW) and Sat afternoon. Good gym, but attendance greatly varies. Sometimes, it could be packed, some times, not many ppl at all. Drop in is around $14, I think. Bring your own racket and shuttles.

3. www.friendlybadminton.com (Jamaica HS)
    Sat 1 - 7pm (1 - 2:30 group training, 2:30 - 7pm practice). Accessable by F train (as you live in Forrest Hills). Contact them for detail schedule.

4. www.friendlybadminton.com (Hoboken, NJ)
    Sounds far, but many ppl from NY carpool going over there. Quite a few members meet around Queens Center area, and carpool. Time is sunday afternoon (12:30-1:30 training, 1:30 - 5:30 practice)

5. www.friendlybadminton.com (Flushing, NY) - NEW
    Junior High School 185 (JHS185) (Wednesday 6:30 PM - 10:30 PM)
    Address: 147-26 25th Dr. Flushing NY11354

6. www.brooklynbadminton.com (John Dewey HS)
    John Dewey High School - 50 Ave X, Brooklyn NY 11223
    They play on Sat 9:30 - 3:45. 8 courts mean a lot of court time for everyone. However, you need a car to drive there, as trains are very limited during weekend.

7. www.brooklynbadminton.com (Fort Hamilton HS) - NEW
    Time: Every Tuesday, From 6 PM to 10 PM
    Place: Fort Hamilton High School , 8301 Shore Road , Brooklyn , 11219
    Direction:
    Subway___ R train to 86th street in Brooklyn, and take bus #16 all the way to the Shore Road stop, turn right on Shore Road and walk to 83rd street, turn right in to 83rd street and enter at the third gate.
    Highway___ (1) Take BQE West, exit 22 to Bell Park Way, get off on the first exit, turn right at light on to the Ridge Blvd , second light turn right on to 68th street, go all the way and turn left on to Shore Road. After two lights, turn left on 83rd Street , park your car then walk in on the third gate.
    Highway___ (2) Take Bell Park Way West, get off on Exit 2, turn left at light on to Shore Road . After the light on the 86th street, turn right on the second to the 83rd street. Park your car then walk in on the third gate.

This club is run by the same manager (Sunny) from Brooklyn club. For contact details, visit their website.

Note: I am NOT part of any owner / management group of the above clubs. And the order of this list is NOT based on my personal preference. It's purely random. The intention is purely to help the NYC metro area players to find a club which fit for their need. Information may vary from time to time, please contact the club management staff for up to date information.

Enjoy the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Holiday weekend schedule

Looks like all the clubs that I listed above will keep the regular schedule for this coming up holiday weekend. However, better double check with their managers / website to confirm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Possible NYCB locations change for summer

I was told there might be possible location changes for NYCB clubs, due to school construction:

1. 56 street gym(Sunday, not sure about Fri) will be replaced by 18st (Tues) gym.

2. John Bowne HS (Flushing, Queens) will be replaced by Francis Lewis HS (Fresh Meadows, Queens) for Tues, Thurs and Fri. Seems Sat will be closed, but possibly replaced with another week day.

Check www.nycbadminton.com or www.queensbadminton.com for updates. No word about the final confirmation and schedule yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    I was told there might be possible location changes for NYCB clubs, due to school construction:

1. 56 street gym(Sunday, not sure about Fri) will be replaced by 18st (Tues) gym.

2. John Bowne HS (Flushing, Queens) will be replaced by Francis Lewis HS (Fresh Meadows, Queens) for Tues, Thurs and Fri. Seems Sat will be closed, but possibly replaced with another week day.

Check www.nycbadminton.com or www.queensbadminton.com for updates. No word about the final confirmation and schedule yet.

It's confirmed.

1. Manhattan: Wed, Fri (76 st gym), Tues, Sunday (18 st gym), same schedule, start on 7/1

2. Queens: Tues, Thurs, Fri (no sat) @ Francis Lewis HS, start on 7/3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post

2. Queens: Tues, Thurs, Fri (no sat) @ Francis Lewis HS, start on 7/3

Went to the site on Tues night. The gym is huge with 8 courts (even though, courts a bit close to each other), and the floor is nice. Parking is very easy, with the parking lot and the almost emptied street at night. The main problem is the lighting is kinda bright, and one or 2 courts have basketball hoops right next by. Therefore, it's possible you might lose a shuttle to the net or basketball board.

Overall, a nice alternate gym for the summer. About 30-40 ppl showed up on the 1st night, therefore, plenty of games for everyone. I expect a bit more ppl will show up in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, any nice places to play near commack/stony brook on saturday and sunday?

i see the schedule for stony brook is OPEN REC, is there badminton usually going on at that time?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azzman View Post
    hey, any nice places to play near commack/stony brook on saturday and sunday?

i see the schedule for stony brook is OPEN REC, is there badminton usually going on at that time?
    Stony Brook used to have a very active badminton club, but heard it's slowly die down recent 1-2 years. With my experience (several yrs ago, though), the summer schedule usually NOT very reliable. You better contact them to double make sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is the guest fee at the 76th gym? do they rent out rackets?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all manhattan gyms, the walk-in (non member) fee is US$25 per session, with shuttles provided by the club. Yes, they do rent out rackets, I think it's around $2-3 per racket per session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks lazybuddy! i'll be visiting manhattan soon. i hope i can play with you guys.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast