User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default BAM Back-up Singles Players

    BAM sends only one singles back-up player in the person of Tan Chun Seang to the 2009 Aviva Singapore Super Series Tournament. He has to qualify for the main draw and almost lost to an unknown player Christian Lind Thomsen 16-21, 21-19, 23-21 in the first qualifying round. He will meet Gong Weijie this afternoon and I wonder he could pull through. Singapore is so near to Malaysia and I can't understand why the BAM cannot also send other back-up players like Chong Wei Feng to contest. The cost would be minimal compared with sending them to Europe and China. I just hope that the BAM would consider sending the back-up players to the other South East Asian tournaments. The exposure would be good for them.




  2. #2
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,946
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Christian Lind Thomsen is not an unknown player to me

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Christian Lind Thomsen is not an unknown player to me

    __________________________________________________ ____________

    You must be his great fan, George. Ha, ha




    __________________________________________________ _____________

  4. #4
    Regular Member danielwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TCS is TERMINATED.......
    maybe he too tired coz have to sit in Proton Exora for 4 hours journey...
    jet-lagged...

  5. #5
    Regular Member danielwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    BAM sends only one singles back-up player in the person of Tan Chun Seang to the 2009 Aviva Singapore Super Series Tournament. He has to qualify for the main draw and almost lost to an unknown player Christian Lind Thomsen 16-21, 21-19, 23-21 in the first qualifying round. He will meet Gong Weijie this afternoon and I wonder he could pull through. Singapore is so near to Malaysia and I can't understand why the BAM cannot also send other back-up players like Chong Wei Feng to contest. The cost would be minimal compared with sending them to Europe and China. I just hope that the BAM would consider sending the back-up players to the other South East Asian tournaments. The exposure would be good for them.




    coz the Proton Exora cant put in too many players...
    limited space...whereas Indonesia or oversea, we use
    Boeing 747, can carry more...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,013
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Errr, all this ah, is being discussed in Prof Players thread. THere's a dedicated thread for Msia back-up players.

    But for the benefit of the thread starter, TCS was the only one sent cos
    1) he did better than the rest in Jan to April 2009 tourneys
    2) NSC already called up Rashid & Rexy & told them not to send the youngies to SS tourneys until they can perform. THat's why you will notice, the back up doubles pairs (include XD) were also not sent.
    Only those going WC -> Razif/WKW, NHL are sent (and later CPeng Soon /GLiu Ying if they qualify in 3rd selection). Even the WD going WC = CSC didnt get to go Spore, WKW/NHL will play WD since they play XD, save cost.

    So, the message is clear, they must produce results to get sent, but if they dont get exposure, they cant get results,etc. And the reason of them to "get exposure" is not accepted anymore, esp in eco downturn time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Errr, all this ah, is being discussed in Prof Players thread. THere's a dedicated thread for Msia back-up players.

    But for the benefit of the thread starter, TCS was the only one sent cos
    1) he did better than the rest in Jan to April 2009 tourneys
    2) NSC already called up Rashid & Rexy & told them not to send the youngies to SS tourneys until they can perform. THat's why you will notice, the back up doubles pairs (include XD) were also not sent.
    Only those going WC -> Razif/WKW, NHL are sent (and later CPeng Soon /GLiu Ying if they qualify in 3rd selection). Even the WD going WC = CSC didnt get to go Spore, WKW/NHL will play WD since they play XD, save cost.

    So, the message is clear, they must produce results to get sent, but if they dont get exposure, they cant get results,etc. And the reason of them to "get exposure" is not accepted anymore, esp in eco downturn time.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

    I was not talking just about the SS tournaments. I was also talking about 2nd or even 3rd tier tournaments. Obviously if the SS tournaments are held nearer home, why not expose the back-up players.
    Robin Sorderling in tennis is a good example of what international exposure could do to a player. He never went beyond the 3rd round of a grand slam tournament before but shone in the 2009 French Tennis Open. In the process, he beat Nadal, Davydenko, and Gonzalez and reached the final.
    I must admit he has a good coach in Magnus Norman and RS has also that burning desire to do well.
    The Malaysian single coaches are indeed good but are they as strict as Li Mao with his no-nonsense approach with the players. The back-up players. I am sure, also want to shine.


    __________________________________________________ _______________

  8. #8
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good to expose them to singapore since its nearby. If need to fly then justifyable lor.

    BTW, the proton is so comfy that the players slept like a baby, still not awake during tournament.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London & Penang
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i believe there are stricter limits on number of players for SS tournaments than for GP or GP gold. so, even if BAM wanted to send more players, that may not have been possible.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    when bam send,bcer complain
    when bam didnt send,bcer complain
    cute

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    when bam send,bcer complain
    when bam didnt send,bcer complain
    cute
    __________________________________________________ __________________


    The Malaysian bcers are not complaining. They are just offering constructive views for the improvement of Malaysian badminton. Who does not want to see his/her country's badminton players doing well in the world arena?



    __________________________________________________ ________________

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,013
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    __________________________________________________ ________________

    I was not talking just about the SS tournaments. I was also talking about 2nd or even 3rd tier tournaments. Obviously if the SS tournaments are held nearer home, why not expose the back-up players.

    __________________________________________________ _
    I already gave you the reason why Msia did not send for SS tourneys - results- BAM has to answer why results are bad, etc. Last year, they sent the elit back up for Spore SS, some did not even make it thru qualifiers. This year,as reported in the press, NSC told them not to send to SS since performance of back up players in 1st 4 months of the year was not good.
    When they are sent & dont get pass qualifiers, there were BCers who complained why send, wasted $$$$$ only or so lousy, qualifier also cannot get thru - like what happened to TCS this time around.

    2nd & 3rd tier - They are sending mah. You didnt see the entry list for Msia GP Gold & Philipines GP Gold?? TCS, CWF, Daren, Arif & gang are going. They are supposed to go for GP Gold 1st, get some results, got good results, then only can go for SS.
    The elit back up WS, LYdia Cheah, gets to go SS, she's in main draw & she's going 2009 WC & she got runner up in a GP Gold tourney last year.

    So, it's NOT a matter of nearby , the level of tournament that they get sent. And as already answered earlier, this is not the time for "exposure" anymore,"it's time for results", that is what the decision makers want - this has been repeated many times in press interviews.

    And by back up, elit back up is also back up. As for back-up level players (3rd tier) like CKB, Lim Fang Yang, they go International Challenge, GP, GP Gold. Sometimes, GP Gold also they dont get to go, depending on how far the host country is & their WR.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 06-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MALAYSIA
    Posts
    10,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All this happened because of those back-ups...cant blame BAM nor the cosches....they simply cant perform and have no results to show to convinced BAM .... so they will have to buck up first in order to be back up to our national badminton players in coming SS or GP tournaments...........

    Just like this TCS.....he was the best back up in terms of performances between Jan - Aprl.....right ?.....still cant qualified to the main draw in Sg Open SS.........and cant improve his WR........

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sarawak
    Posts
    944
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmarc View Post
    All this happened because of those back-ups...cant blame BAM nor the cosches....they simply cant perform and have no results to show to convinced BAM .... so they will have to buck up first in order to be back up to our national badminton players in coming SS or GP tournaments...........

    Just like this TCS.....he was the best back up in terms of performances between Jan - Aprl.....right ?.....still cant qualified to the main draw in Sg Open SS.........and cant improve his WR........
    __________________________________________________ ________________

    I can only say 'susah lah".
    I close my case.


    __________________________________________________ _________________________

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,013
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmarc View Post
    ..............

    Just like this TCS.....he was the best back up in terms of performances between Jan - Aprl.....right ?.....still cant qualified to the main draw in Sg Open SS.........and cant improve his WR........
    ..well... got results not necessarily means get sent. CWF this time last year was best performance but........Arif went for TC and TCS was chosen for OG sparring. CWF then beat CJ in one of the tourneys in April 2008.
    CWF also didnt get to go Taiwan GP Gold but TCS & Arif get to go (or was it Macau or both ) .

    Lydia also actually, after she get GP Gold runner up also some SS she didnt to go, only Julia & WMC, esp for Europe tourneys, looks like only got 2 slots. When one WS injured, then Lydia can go as replacement.
    Oops, Lydia lost in Spore R1, along with Choo2.

    Anyway, as we discussed in Pahang Open thread, this scenario of up & down so familiar, doesnt surprise me anymore
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 06-10-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Men Doubles Players (Elite and Back-up)
    By undeadshot in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 297
    : 06-20-2014, 10:35 PM
  2. Macau Open: Let's gauge MAS back-up players' performance... BOLEH...!!!
    By jimbo in forum New Zealand Open / Macau Open / Chinese Taipei Open 2010
    Replies: 133
    : 08-02-2010, 02:23 AM
  3. Looking for singles players!
    By Phydhel in forum Malaysia
    Replies: 5
    : 03-17-2006, 08:34 PM
  4. Two back-up players to train in Germany and China
    By ants in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 04-28-2005, 11:57 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    : 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •