serving rule

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by sting1988, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    Hey, last time I came aross a problem while playing a game. My opponent said it was illegal for me to shake my racket before the serve. Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about just a tiny bit of shaking, you could barely see it if you were on the opposite of the court. So what is the BWF's official rule for this type of matter? Thanks!

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Technically, you can't dummy, feint or whatever you want to call it on the serve. Once you make a movement, you must follow through with it in one clean motion. A little bit of movement generally won't annoy many people but IMO, it's best to keep your racket still just in case someone does complain.

Maybe you could post a video of your serve and let us see how big the movement is and whether we as outsiders think you're hindering your opponent.

3. badyon1

badyon1 New Member

some people bend their wrist and jiggle the Raquet before there serve.. that's legal .. but like danstevens said if you fake then its illegal .. Ask a referee to ref your game so he can judge it

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Usually a little shaking doesn't really matter as you're not yet serving. But once you are in position and in a ready-to-serve pose, you should not wriggle your racquet. Some people don't mind, some do. I don't mind myself. Just don't do fake serves....

5. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    There should be a rule allowing you to smack the smug little bastards face with your racket.

6. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

^ I agree with the smacking rule!