Pulled/torn right pec - any tips?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Mark A, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

About three weeks ago I reached back WAY too far for an overhead (that would have gone long, in retrospect) and felt the tell-tale signs of a pull in my racket arm pec. Since then it flares up every time I take up the racket to the point where I won't dare smash. After the worst episode I had a spectacular bruise down the lateral side of the pec (where it meets the armpit), but that's gone now.

Is there anything I can do, besides not playing during the already-looming summer holidays, to keep this under control? Daily stretches/ice/massage? It's annoying not being able to unload on an overhead through trepidation:mad:

M.

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    you have to let it fully recover...the fact it showed sufficient brusing isnt a good sign.
    Once its fully recovered you gotta strengthen those muscles....if you dont have access too weights then pushups will do.

but dude seriously rest. If possible go to a physio too see if theres anything in particular you can do to help the muscle repair.

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    The fact u bruised it prob shows u tore the muscle a bit. But is mustnt be too bad if the only time it flares up if if you over stretch it. 1st off rest is key ere.

U shud ave iced the ting as soon as it happened but now you can ice it for 10 mins and then get hot water bottle, put that on for 15 mins and then alternate back and forth. Do this for about 3 - 4 days few times a night.

Then you wud need to lightly stretch the muscle doin the movements u find sore bringin it to the point where its jus about sore (slight ache) and holdin it there for about 20 secs. Do this few times and U wil find as the days go on this gets easier and you can go further.

I wud advice to c a physio, a good one as this wil spped things up greatly. Get sum1 who you have heard gud tings about. Word of mouth is the best way to find a physio

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Decided to go back to the gym - I had a year of because of... well, I had a year off:p. Nothing like an injury caused by no more than a strong breeze to put the spark of fear into me.

Gonna be weird getting the old pump and burn again!

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

sounds like a perfect time to take some time off, build some muscle strength/endurance, and get a gf to rub some soothing cream on that pec of urs for a good deep muscle massage ;) *hint*hint*