Store Profile: mybadmintonstore.com

Discussion in 'Store Profiles' started by kwun, Jun 11, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Store Review: mybadmintonstore.com

Last time I was in Hong Kong I visited Winston Chan of mybadmintonstore.com. Over lunch we talked about his store, his business philosophy as well as badminton market and badminton in general. There are a lot of interesting things that I would like to share with BadmintonCentral members.

Only been here in Hong Kong for a few days, I was already getting influenced by the culture there. Hong Kong is known for being ultra efficient on everything and boy did I learn that quickly. Here, lunches are not merely for filling one up gastronomically, they are also great opportunities to catch up with old friends as well as making new ones. The other day I called up Winston of mybadmintonstore.com (MBS) fame to visit his shop in Sheung Wan. Winston and I chatted for ages about everything badminton. Being a local retailer as well as a major internet-based international mail order company, MBS is in a unique position in the niche market of badminton products.

Getting from my office in Wanchai to MBS in Sheung Wan requires me to dig up some old memories of the complicated bus routes in HK island. MBS is located in a small computer mall in the busy Queen's Road West, which is a major route that i am familiar with. The location is a block away from the Western Market public badminton court. Winston has done his homework on location. I took an express bus from Wanchai and was in front of MBS in less than 10 mins. MBS is also a few blocks from the MTR station and that would be a good alternative if coming from far away. However, for only 3 MTR stops it was faster for me to go by bus.

Winston and I in fact have a lot in common, aside from sharing a passion for badminton, we both studied in the UK. Upon finishing his study in UK, Winston ended up doing sales for large corporations in both UK and Hong Kong. During those times, Winston honed his sales and marketing knowledge and skill that he later found invaluable as a entrepreneur. With that entreprenerial spirit, MBS was born in 2004.

MBS started off as a internet only store that operated out of Winston's home. MBS as the name suggest is a badminton specialty store. It only offer badminton enthusiasts products. In 2008, the operation grew larger and Winston secured a corner location in a mall in Sheung Wan. MBS now employs 2 extra staff to deal with daily operations.

True to Hong Kong spirit, MBS's store front, abeit being tiny to western standard, is actually quite common in HK. Occupying approximately 200 sq ft at the far corner of the shopping mall, they managed to fit 3 active working staff and a complete set of merchandise including anything you can imagine from the common rackets, strings, shuttles, clothing, to specialty items like grommets, flying clamps and goggles. A stringing machine occupies the central location.

It turns out that moving from his home to a real store front was not only a logistic move, but also a strategic move as well. Having a real store front is good for local and overseas customers to conveniently see and purchase MBS products, as well as good for MBS' online image as a trustworthy company.

Aside from the store front in Sheung Wan, MBS also have warehouses in HK. When a order comes in, merchandise gets collected in the warehouse to be sorted, packaged, and sent off to their happy customers.

Over lunch Winston and I talked a lot about his operation and his business philosophy.

Winston's main business philosophy is serving the customers. He believe in providing what his customers need. He spent a fair amount of his time not only dealing with the daily operations, but he also go out and seek out specialty badminton products that are hard to find. Rare are badminton stores that not only cater to the regular badminton player, but also cater to more enthusiast items like badminton stringers as well as rare rackets like JP and discontinued rackets.

I personally was happy to see that MBS offers a lot of stringing accessories. I quickly gobbled up some Yonex and MBS flying clamps, some grommets as well as a load spreader. Many specialty items like these are difficult to find and especially rare to see under one retailer. It was certainly very convenient for me.

Philanthropy is also something that MBS engages in. Eager to spread the passion of the sport, Winston believe that everyone deserves to enjoy the game of badminton. To that end, he has donated equipment to children in slums in Brazil, granting them the chance to play and share our love and passion for badminton. On top of that, MBS also sponsors local and foreign badminton teams, striking equipment purchase deals with them.

As Winston said, "I want to spread the joy of badminton."

Chan1011 likes this.
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here are some pics i took of MBS:

Attached Files:

Michael Boyle and Chan1011 like this.
  3. konafan

konafan Regular Member

I certainly give them a rating of 9 out of 10.

I have ordered a YY bag from MBS previously.
    I must agreed that MBS is efficient and responsive.
    It took only 4 days for the bag from order, to ship from MBS to my doorstep in Singapore.
    This is coupled with shipment tracking number which allowed me to keep track the movement.

It would be perfect ten if their prices can be more competitive.

Cheers !

4. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Every order I've made with MBS has been an excellent experience. Very nice piece Kwun.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sounds fun..

..i missed visiting MBS last yr, when i was in HK. Was planning to, but only visited baddy stores in the Mongkok/Kowloon areas..Reading that it recently moved in 2008, probably wouldn't have time to find it..

Btw, the 4th pic there, it seems like you're very tall..:p

6. joker8baller

joker8baller Regular Member

Haha nice! The owner is very nice and is very helpful on the phone to give directions to lost foreigners as well!

Great guy, great shop.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Nice pics of the store.

Maybe both Kwun and Winston can answer this - Where is the cat (no pic)? If I recall correctly, on the MBS site, before the store opened, there was a a cat in the store! (that caught by eye!!) ROFL!

8. Teh ShadowZ

Teh ShadowZ Regular Member

Student
    Maybe Winston can answer this too... D:

I keep getting the "Secure Connection Failed" every time I try to log in with my account at mybadmintonstore.com

[​IMG]

Should I be scared to log on...? Because I want to continue ordering from this website D:.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    You should have done this long time ago kwun. Anyway nice cover story.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maneki neko??..

..you mean this??:confused:
    [​IMG]

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Some more thumbs up for MBS

Having done business in both directions with Winston totally via email and Paypal, I can't rate MBS highly enough. The quality and promptness of communication is incredible - any email I fire off is usually answered within 12 hours (and I'm 8 hours behind HK time) and Winston has often sent me some pre-release strings to appraise, as I am a serial reviewer on MBS. Also, since they trade on the $US, I've been able to bag some serious bargains with my mighty £ sterling ;).

Goods come in as fast as humanly possible; I was clued in to the famed HK work ethic by one of our club's players, whose family originally comes from there, and I now believe it completely. It's got to the point now where I'll get stuff from MBS even if it costs, say, 10% more than somewhere else; if you knew me well you'd know this was incredibly high praise;).

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Mark,

Why not ask MBS if you can get a good deal on a NS9000-x that you are looking for?

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've always been a bit ambivalent about trying to haggle with retailers (except electronics and cars - they're on commission;)), but I have found a Ti-10 purple, my currnet front runner, for $134.95 delivered - I might ask them for a one-off deal, as I'd rather give my money to him anyway. It's money they wouldn't get if I bought elsewhere, after all.

Nice idea, SH, although I'm wary of letting people know what happens - if I'm successful it'll open the floodgates for people to try bartering with Winston!:D

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Nope, the real live one lol! The cat is still there. (Thanks Winston for telling me!)

15. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

too bad they dont carry yonex clothing :(

16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Bros: Mr Winston Chan is selling any Li Ning Products in hong kong ?

17. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    why don't you check it on mybadmintonstore.com all of your answer is there.

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

just this one. Maybe He has more, but didn't put them up yet.

19. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    215 USD = around 299 sgd... pretty good deal!

20. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Bought the 9826 bag & a Yonex Wave Grap from his store on April 23th and came to my door today around 9:00AM (April 30th). 3-5 Days like it said on the website. I was actually quite surprised it was this fast, because the transit time said it was around 10-14 Days (Hong Kong Post) but I guess customs let it through. Anyways, am a very satisifed customer (Also a dropped in a thank you e-mail for good measure), and I recommend anyone else to buy from his shop.:D