Gail Emms MBE

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Cheung, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Congratulations to Gail Emms who receives the MBE from the Queen for services to badminton.:)

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Congratulations, Emmsy :)

Perhaps they should award her the DBE.
    That's make her a Dame Commander.

'Dame Emms' sounds quite lofty :p

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Interestingly, Nathan Robertson also has a Men's doubles WC bronze medal from 1999 in addition to all the titles he's won with Gail.

He should be in line for a MBE as well when he retires...:)

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Congratulations to her;)

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Unlikely... at least for a long time ;)
    His personal record is rather, er, colourful.

Of course, it could all change if Robertson were to drum up another medal at London 2012 :)

7. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Don't we all used to have our colourful times when we were younger? I don't see anything wrong with it!

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Well, it doesn't help him that you don't see anything wrong with it.
    That's because the MBE is handed out by the British establishment.

It's they who need to see past all that personal colour ;)

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It would be rather harsh if NR did not eventually receive an MBE. After all, Emms' fame and success came during her partnership with NR. Without one, the other would not have had such a decorated career.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Now that he has revived himself with the Singapore Open title, a formal title like the MBE (or better) might be on its way. Perhaps they are waiting for him to retire... it's unlikely to come his way when he is still active on the circuit.

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Just ask mohammed al fayed, denied for citizenship many times.......

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Gail Emms awarded MBE

Badminton England

MBE for Gail Emms

Gail Emms was celebrating today after being awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to badminton.

And BADMINTON England were the first to salute her with Chief Executive Adrian Christy saying: "On behalf of everyone connected with BADMINTON England, I offer my sincere congratulations to Gail.

"Her partnership with Nathan Robertson has been instrumental in helping to drive the popularity of badminton and now, as our first Ambassador, she is the role model everyone in our great game looks up to.

"Her achievements in recent years have been outstanding and she is truly recognised as one of the greatest players of all time. This award is richly deserved."

Gail, 32 next month, said today: "I heard the news three or four weeks ago and I expect the investiture to be within the next six weeks.

"It came as a bit of a shock but it's nice to be appreciated and reflects all the hard work that all athletes have to put in to their sport.

"This award isn't about me, it's about all the coaches and support staff who have been behind my success."

Hitchin-born Gail, who retired from international badminton after the Beijing Olympics last year when she and Robertson reached the quarter-finals, is still heavily involved in the sport and typically, in her Ambassador role, she was today coaching youngsters and promoting her sport.

In an England career which begin with her debut in 1995, she went on to win National, international, Commonwealth, European and world titles. Only Olympic gold eluded her.

She played 68 times for England and was part of the team which won a bronze medal at the Sudirman Cup in Glasgow two years ago.

But she is best remembered for her Olympic silver medal with Robertson in mixed doubles at the Athens Olympics in 2004 and for their Yonex All England title triumph in 2005.

In 2006 the pair won the world title in Madrid to make up for the disappointment of the previous year when Robertson was injured in practice on the eve of the world championships in Anaheim, where they were top seeds and hot favourites.

She and Robertson won the European title in 2004 and are also the reigning Commonwealth champions.

They were the No 1 pair in the world during 2005-2006 in a purple patch which brought back-to-back wins at the Yonex All England and Wilson Swiss Open, finalists in Hong Kong and victory in China.

The success continued into 2006 with them retaining their Swiss title and finishing runners-up at both the All England and the Singapore Open before going on to win the world title in an all-English final with their great friends Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg.

Gail and Donna won the European women's doubles title in 2006 and were runners-up in 2008. They were also Denmark Open runners-up in 2005 and 2006.

Gail also won four of her six English National mixed doubles titles with Robertson and four of her six women's doubles titles with Kellogg.

Attached Files:

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  15. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

congratulation to Emms, miss her in action

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    she won it again?

Badminton's Gail Emms becomes an MBE at palace
    17:08 GMT, Friday, 4 December 2009

Gail Emms won many awards during her career as a badminton player
    Former badminton player Gail Emms has been made an MBE at an investiture ceremony hosted by the Princess Royal.

Emms, who is now Badminton England's first ambassador, described the MBE as a "pat on the back" after the Buckingham Palace ceremony.

The 32-year-old, from Bedford, won national, international, Commonwealth, European and world doubles titles.

She is also now acting as a mentor to some of the young players aiming for the London 2012 Olympics.

Emms said: "Olympic gold was the only thing I didn't win. I was a bit gutted, I would have loved to have finished winning gold in Beijing.

"I did everything I could to get there but with world gold, Commonwealth gold, European gold - I can't complain too much, but it would have been nice to have had the set."

Also receiving honours during the investiture ceremony were two soldiers who fought in Afghanistan.

Also recognised at the ceremony were Acting Lance Bombardier Grant Guy, 21, of the Royal Artillery, and Lance Corporal Gajendra Rai, from the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Gurkha Rifles, who were both awarded the Military Cross for bravery while serving in Afghanistan.

Burberry's chief creative officer, the designer Christopher Bailey, became an MBE for services to the fashion industry.

Northern Ireland hotelier Sir Billy Hastings was knighted for his services to charity and the tourism industry.

Attached Files:

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I see that since retirement, she's been rather, ahem, busy as well ........

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It was announced in the Birthday honours list (June) that he woul be conferred with the honour. She had the ceremony to officially received it Last week.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ahh, thx for the clarification.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

she's already pregnant:)
    who's the father?