User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Would you thereby claim that only one direction for the slice is correct, in oppose to the claim that you can slice it both ways, depending on whether you want to increase or decrease the rotation of the shuttle?
    No, I woudn't. You can certainly slice both ways ("slice" and "reverse slice"). Which way would you choose? It depends which direction you want to hit.

The direction of shuttle spin is unlikely to be a significant factor in the end result of your shot. Certainly it's not significant enough to affect your decision. The shuttle rapidly corrects itself after being hit, and establishes its normal aerodynamic axial spin (anticlockwise as seen from the hitter).

The main time you need to take spin into consideration is when your opponent just played a spinning (tumbling) net shot. To counter with your own spinning net shot, it's usually better to "match" your opponent's spin, rather than go in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Gollum; 01-14-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way a Japanese coach taught me was that it's more or less a half-smash/slice shot. The reason you see it as full power is because it's suppose to be done with full rotation and full follow through. The deception is there for a full smash, but with half the power and slice added, the "cut" shot dies before where the reciever expects it to be. In my experiences, anything hit harder than a half-smash makes the angle go way too wide, or the length way too far (making it easier to return). But I guess, theoretically (factoring in the enormous amount of power and skill with slices in pros), they could hit it as hard as a full smash, but put enough cut into it to make it drop. Again, in my experience, if done right, I hit line every single time. And the placement should be:

Drop

Cut (Slice Smash)

Smash

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the biggest difference in how much a shuttle dies, is dependent on what you do with your fingers ime. If you start with racquet loose in hand, held mainly by thumb and index finger, then tighten with other fings on shuttle contact will increase shuttle spin a lot. This increases the shedding of speed and the shuttle seems to nose-dive more than a static grip slice shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find if you repeat the process for a sliced drop, provided you use the same action for a drop and sliced drop, except with the slice in the deception. You just speed it up, and over emphasize the slice (really go for as much slice as possible). Reverse or straight slice is the same.
    Ooh and It cannot be done with a tight grip. As amleto says you must remain with a loose grip till the last minute or the shot will be rubbish.
    Eventually you will end up doing a smash that seems to become a drop shot as it passes the net.
    I know exactly what was meant by the smash becoming a drop, and it's true, the shuttle seems to die during the shot and the opponent/s are left stood waiting for a smash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://youtu.be/UwD6clNWVT4
    saw this video of LD doing slice smash - slow mo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought that a slice drop would be easier to learn first, then the slice smash after that. Took me a while to figure out slice drops at first until I saw somone do it. For both you need to learn the right angle and really go fo it without being afraid of destroying the shuttle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    No, I woudn't. You can certainly slice both ways ("slice" and "reverse slice"). Which way would you choose? It depends which direction you want to hit.

The direction of shuttle spin is unlikely to be a significant factor in the end result of your shot. Certainly it's not significant enough to affect your decision. The shuttle rapidly corrects itself after being hit, and establishes its normal aerodynamic axial spin (anticlockwise as seen from the hitter).

The main time you need to take spin into consideration is when your opponent just played a spinning (tumbling) net shot. To counter with your own spinning net shot, it's usually better to "match" your opponent's spin, rather than go in the opposite direction.
    Well, thx for the answer, lol, sorry for only being a few years late on this one (I am back, but it is unlikely that I will ever play again). For what I will choose, hmm, I only trained one way, the way that should support the shuttles natural rotation, so that would have been the answer.

Concerning net shot, if you match the opponents spin, I would claim that the shuttle can become very unstable, which can might or might not be an advantage!? On the other hand if you kill the spin, you will need an alternative!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done this shot a few times during games. I can slice down the line or crosscourt. I don't tend to do a chop smash, because I'm usually playing doubles, although when I did do it during singles it was very effective. During doubles it sets you up really well for a smash or slice dropshot. Nothing is more entertaining than making the opponent run back and forth between the same two spots.

You can either slice from the side (left to right, since I'm right handed) or over the shuttle (sounds weird but it does work). Jumping and slicing is more effective as well. If I'm out of position and want to do a tight dropshot then I reverse slice (right to left).

What I like about the shot is that if it doesn't give you an outright winner, opponents have a lot of trouble returning it with a non-slice netshot since it doesn't bounce properly on the string bed, while a clear or drive would be a more effective return. If you wanted to do a netshot you would have to slice it, which works fairly well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
    I've searched on the forums but haven't come across something quite like this. Although I may be wrong. If this has been discussed before, feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread. But I haven't found anything.

I've seen a few players manage to pull off a certain kind of half-smash. Except it's not really a half-smash because they're using full strength. Simply put, it's an all-out smash, but sliced in such a way that it travels at the speed of a full-power smash until it goes over the net. Then it... dies. This is one of the most effective shots I have ever encountered because it's even more deceptive than a fake shot since the body language of the smasher conveys smash... and the shuttle itself flies at whatever 300 kph UNTIL it goes over the net.

I was wondering if anyone knows how this is accomplished. I've been experimenting... smashing normally but angling my racquet inwards (this doesn't seem to accomplish much)... smashing such that I'm slicing the bird from left to right (and my follow-through ends up to the right of my body)... this hasn't worked either. I'm running out of options. This is the only shot I've seen that I've never been able to replicate (aside from landing the shuttle on top of the tape). Anyone have any experience with this?
    a smash with a slice is very effective. if you slice in the direction that the shuttle normally flies at, you will increase the pace, if you slice it the opposite way, you will force it to spin in an unnatural way and it will at mid flight, reverse to the normal direction. as a left hander, it's a great advantage for me personally, that when i slice it outward, which is right to left, also as counter clockwise, the shuttle will spin counter clockwise but midway it will reverse it's spin to clockwise. the reverse in spin will automatically slows down the shuttle. for me, this is a very natural slice shot as i've gotten used to similar motion in tennis (of course there's a big difference) so i am able to use this shot without really thinking about it. not sure if this is what you're describing but i hope this bit helps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3