Full-strength slice smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wristworks, Jun 13, 2009.

1. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

I've searched on the forums but haven't come across something quite like this. Although I may be wrong. If this has been discussed before, feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread. But I haven't found anything.

I've seen a few players manage to pull off a certain kind of half-smash. Except it's not really a half-smash because they're using full strength. Simply put, it's an all-out smash, but sliced in such a way that it travels at the speed of a full-power smash until it goes over the net. Then it... dies. This is one of the most effective shots I have ever encountered because it's even more deceptive than a fake shot since the body language of the smasher conveys smash... and the shuttle itself flies at whatever 300 kph UNTIL it goes over the net.

I was wondering if anyone knows how this is accomplished. I've been experimenting... smashing normally but angling my racquet inwards (this doesn't seem to accomplish much)... smashing such that I'm slicing the bird from left to right (and my follow-through ends up to the right of my body)... this hasn't worked either. I'm running out of options. This is the only shot I've seen that I've never been able to replicate (aside from landing the shuttle on top of the tape). Anyone have any experience with this?

2. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    First of all, that drop shot can't travel with the super fast spell and all suddenly die out and just barely drop over the net. Because it's a whole lot of slide shot, it will be slower at the normal drop speed (compare to regular drop shot), however this shot can be very offensive because it's a good drop shot to make it really close to the net with a great speed. But still there is no point of a decent player should having hard time to return the shot. Unless the previous lift shot right in the middle of the court (so it give you less time to react to the bird)
    And just to explain how the motion goes (i'm not good with describing so boo me if you want) my best explaination would be right before you make a contact of the bird start to slide the bird, and make a motion that is some wat like the racquet face goes around the bird.
    same principal of you hold the ball and throw/spin straight up in the air. Imagine your hand is your racquet face. I hope this make sense, ok good luck.
    oh if base on your discription (if that's how you spell the word) your follow through should end up infront of you or alittle to the left and downward of course.

3. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    Sounds interesting

4. wristworks

Sorry, I don't mean "dies" as in it turns into a drop shot. It does land towards the receiver's side of the short service line. It just dies in the sense that you see it coming towards you, and you assume that it's going to keep going straight so you set up your racquet and positioning accordingly, but say you're prepared for it to come straight at your chest and suddenly, the bottom falls out and it lands maybe a foot or so in front of you. I wouldn't call it a drop shot; it really is more like a smash that just has so much spin on it that it lands much further in front than you would think.

5. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I can't think of a way to smash a bird like that, goes with a smash speed and then drop infront of you because it has the cut. Unless the bird tail is too wide. It able to travel fast at first but come to a certain speed, the tail able to open back up and it slow down the bird. And that because some1 bent too much of the bird.
    But of course i know you would say no it's not that, it's an actual smash shot that land infront of me. Another theory i would say is a half smash. But of course half smash doesn't have the speed like u describe. Well actually i'm sorry i'm not so sure that i understand by your description. Maybe it's help if next time you able to tell the angle, the speed and the sound of the hit.
    But here just for the theory, I can't see how a slide shot would able to make a smash fly pathner with the same speed. I don't care how it's end up, but in the first place the bird can't just goes that fast with a slide. flat head contact and slide contact has a far gap in power wise.
    And here another explaination for that shot. Maybe it was the shot that i explained on the last post, however, the player that played that shot on you wasn't good enough to make the bird close to the net, because slide only meant for drop. Why? because slide makes bird goes slower than a normal hit, so it must be a drop shot so that your opponent has to come to the bird. You do not want to hit something that goes slow and not very far away from your opponent.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  7. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    not able to watch it because it's not available for my country =), wow that's the first, is that weird? let me check lol

8. redsun615

redsun615 Regular Member

iam not an expert...but from what i saw in the youtube video it just looked like a drop shot but with more power? but the placement was good so the recieving guy had no chance...

9. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

i was kinda thinking about a shot like that, however i wanted to try a super fast right slice (slice on right of shuttle) which will completely reverse the spin of the shuttle (it usually spins counterclockwise looking into feather side end)
    My theory is that the racquet should generate enough force to make the shuttle go over the net. Aerodynamics should enable that the reverse spin doesnt die out while going over the net. Once over the net the forward motion of the shuttle should cancel the reverse spin, making it stop spinning for a moment den drop down fast
    It is just a theory and i havent put it into pratice yet though

correct me if i am wrong on any parts ^^

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yeah, except it sounds much easier to just smash at the tape and have the shuttle tip over everytime...

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That's why I said you have to do it with more power....

Notice how the pros, when they slice, they can get really fast drop shots which still dip at around service line. LCW's slice crosscourt smash, even when played from the back of the court, still lands just a few feet from the front service line.

12. killass

killass Regular Member

I remember Gade doing this in All England 2004 final with the same motion of a jump smash, I mean jumping straight.
    Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_aNr38GjA

You have the dropshot at 00:08 and the "slice smash" at 00:12.

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    you can call it a fast drop or a slice smash....not that difficult to do. The slicing just gives you a steeper angle and a better/quicker direction change if you have the correct technique...then the power ofcourse gives it a quick decent.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The master of this shot, called the chop or cut smash, was Malaysia's Misbun Sidek. If played well, it is almost impossible to read the shot, even if it lands just a foot a foot away from your right.

15. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    like taneepak said, this shot is very tough to read. it always looks like a full cross court smash, but the angle and speed are very deceiving. the shot itself is not hard to do; the important part is getting good height in your jump to get the angle a very hard wrist snap to bring the shuttle down.
    peter gade and lee chong wei use this shot very often.

16. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_aNr38GjAat 08 sec, yes it is a drop, but 12th sec it was just a half smash
    I think =)
    at the pro level they do fast drop, because they do not want the get smash at the net. If they do a slow drop shot and surely slow drop shot give u more of an ark and give the bird really close to the net, but if a normal slow drop shot that gives too much time for the strong opponent to get to the net and kill it (if the shots is half a feet above the net) And a fast drop shot give less time to your opponent, of course it doesn't take them more much of step to get to the bird, but we all rather have the sure that they can't kill us in the next shot. To explain this for the eaiser understanding. When a player reach the bird low on the ground the return will have be more time for the bird to goes above the net and hit the ground on our side then the one that is about the waist line. And i'm still looking for slide smash shots, which I do not think it's exist, because why not drive the bird. If we slide, we all know that the bird will travel slower than flat face bird hit. That just too much time for your opponent. And if you're talking about deceiving shots, why only one foot away from your opponent? it takes less than a sec for a pro player to react to your shot within a reach. And I believe it only take less than a sec. for a player to realize the bird doesn't travel super fast speed or slower speed.
    So like i said sometime people just trying the quick slide drop shot just that is not perfect enough to be close to the net. Because trust me it is a hard shot especially when you jump, and please don't tell me pro level doesn't make mistake, we all human, mistake are the jobs for human to make.

17. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I now this as a "chop shot" - you take a full swing like a smash but you "cut" across the shuttle. if you get it right, it imparts extra spin to the shuttle - without going into detailed fluid dynamics - causes the shuttle to drop down and in some cases almost take a spiral flight. From my experience this seems only to occurs on cross court shots over the head.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As with drop shots, smashes can be sliced too.

A sliced smash always loses some power due to the angled contact. However, the slicing does change the flight somewhat, so that it slows down more rapidly than normal as it approaches the defender, and would land farther in front of him than expected. There may also be a small amount of horizontal swerve.

A sliced smash gives the defender more time to react, but it also poses more of a challenge in tracking the shuttle. Consequently, it may be particularly effective if immediately preceded by two or three normal smashes: following these with a sliced smash may upset the defender's rhythm.

I mainly play this shot by mistake. :D I was doing this a lot in one particular game recently, to the consternation of one of my opponents, who asked me if I was spinning the shuttle somehow. It worked very effectively as a shot played under pressure (as when returning a flick serve, or when otherwise late to the shuttle).

19. jjlow

jjlow Regular Member

yes it can be done.but,bare in mind,to achieve the (slowing down of the shuttle) part,you really need the use your power and strength.if not its just a slice and the first part of the shot wont look like a smash.dont slice the shuttle too much too as the point of impact of the strings and shuttle will not be flat enough to produse the smash-part of the stroke.the harder you swing ,the more the shuttle will 'die down'.just my opinion guys.feel free to question haha

20. wristworks

Oh I have no idea how to pull this off. That's why I'm asking. I mean, I'm pretty good (used to train and play on a team) so I assume I'm at a level where if it were a simple shot to execute, I wouldn't have this much problem.

The "chop smash" mentioned sounds about right. That's probably the term I should have used (if I had known it). Is the direction of the slice from left to right (like a brush-stroke but harder) or from right to left (standard smash with racquet angled towards you)? I figure it should be one of these two movements but so far, no luck.