playing with/against lower players

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

so since beginning of this year a lot of top players have left our club. Now i'm left to play medium/lower players all the time. Yes I can win all the time now, but I just feel I'm getting lazier and moving slower b/c I can get away with a lot of shots even if i'm out of position since the opponents' attacks aren't that deadly.

my questions is how do I keep my motivation/movement/aggresiveness? It's hard to play a fast rythem b/c it seems the games are just half a pace slower.

2. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    get your friend to come and play with you? =) well the one at the same level as you are.
    I had same problem, didn't have any where to play badminton, so just played as a class in college, that just totally drag my skill way down. Lazy and lazy, it's kinda like over long period of time its in you, hard to return back to the point where quick pace.
    any1 knows how to deal with this problem please tell me 2

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

If the standard is much much lower and you do not get to play with another more advanced group, stop immediately. I went through a phase of about 2 years playing with only very low beginners and I managed to lower myself to their standard -- to the point of occasionally losing a few games.

Of course they are getting a bit better but I got very very lazy and even stopped thinking. I still get relapses of that laziness.

IMHO, it's okay to have a consistent lower level game if you have another game at your level or higher to keep you active. You can use those games to try out new ideas. The problem is when its only games at a much lower level.

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    yea but problem is where i live is not easy to find a place to play, either too expensive or too far to travel. I'm not cheap I'm just not rich enough. Moreover, I got laid off, so financial is a prettie shiettie problem for me.
    and yea i do agree with weeyeh, rather stop playing with them then grow into them and get lazie.

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

yea, today i went to another club with another person. the players there are mostly my level or a bit better. in the 1st 4 or 5 games, i was totally out played (getting use to the really really slippery floor was a factor too) simply because i was totally lazy. every shot they were half a step faster than me which forced me to make lots of errors or horrible half court clears. and i just had no motivation to move or dig the birds. but i'm happy that in the end i kinda got a bit more use to the conditions and the pace and win a couple of games. :)

it's just hard to keep motivated, maintain consistency, and stay aggressive player weaker players.

6. jjlow

jjlow Regular Member

maybe you can play against the best doubles pair in your club so you have to move faster

7. Munch

Munch Regular Member

I was affected by this disease as well, all the good players left our club and I got worse as I played. Used to be provincial level and won a good amount of city medals but now I can't even win my first and second game at low level of city. Probably has to do a lot with morale and forcing of lowering your skills so you don't absolutely embarrass someone. For now, I rarely play with lower level players but if I do I practice in making quality shots and footwork. Reason being if they're lower players their shots won't be as good so no reason why you can't make a quality shot.
    If you are looking to get better just don't cut down on aggressiveness to a point where its only a game. Just go for the win.

8. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Play 1 on 2 on 2 on 3 for doubles. A lot of beginners would appreciate the help. And you get your exercise.

Don't play a game with them. Practice more and have them feed you the bird to smash. Don't scare them away but smash slower and have them improve their defense while you improve your accuracy.

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I would take on 3 beginners if there are that many around, so my skills will not decrease and I can try on my accuracy and reflex (3 people should have faster return of shuttle than 1 or 2).

10. Arrg Noooooo...

Arrg Noooooo... Regular Member

Like others have said, if the only people you can play against are much less able than you, practise things you don't normally get to practise against tougher opponents.
    Footwork is the first that springs to mind.
    When playing people of much less ability than yourself, you have what i would consider the motherload of all practise oppertunities.

Time.

With extra time you can concentrate on all the little things you don't get to concentrate on during more competative play with out the worry of making a mistake and instantly getting punished. FOOTWORK, stroke technique, correct grips, accurate clears, body rotation, how your hair falls across your face after each stroke. The list is practically endless.

When ever i play people who are less able around the court than i am i always (try) to focus on these things.

However, competetive (able club, competition ect) is very important for anyone wishing to go from a good player to a great player. Experinace in these situations is (IMO) invaluable.
    I'm lucky enough to play at a large club with varrying degrees of ability, training is going well :)

I just wished they practised more than once a week.

11. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

oh another thing i realized today is that because the players i play with is also lower level (on my team), i have some doubt/hesitation on my shot selections. example, if i return a serve by drive it down the line and they clear it back, i have little confidence in my partner to make good drops/smashes, lol. so the games end up very slow indeed

12. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    You can voluntarily train the lower level players before the game (Practice drives).

Also, I believe you should trust your partner when you're playing double. If your partner somehow made a mistake, then it's your chance to practice!:D