Weight Training

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Lefty, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Hi Jonas, I just want to know what kind of weight training and conditioning do you do as professional player. Since I have a regular job, it is difficult to find time to play and conditioning. I am trying to figure out an optimal training to utilize my time wisely after work.

It seems like there are not muscular player in the top professioinal player. Does everyone just don't lift weight or they just lift light weights?

I saw Tony Gunawan play over the weekend in US Open, he is definitely not muscular.

And how much running is enough?

Thank you for your help!

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    I´m sure that every international player at the highest level do weight training.
    It´s necessary, because otherwise you would be more subject to injuries.

I do strength training three times a week of 1 hour duration each time.

I also have a professional coach to make my programs, so it´s easier for me to concentrate on the important things.

I would advise you to do strength training twice a week of maybe 1 1/2 hour duration. The first pass you would concentrate the training on your legs and in the second pass you should train your upperbody.

Hope you can use my advise!!

Jonas

3. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    Hi JR, thank you for your advice. Is it possible for you to share what routine you do in the gym and in what weight range? I can understand if you do not want to disclose these info because that's proprietary information.

Thank you very much.

4. AzNbOi2747

AzNbOi2747 Regular Member

Student
    Jonas,

Is it true that lifting weights make you stiff in your style of play? Some of my coaches are telling me this. One of my coach lifts weight and plays every stiffly. Does lifting weights alot lower your skill or does it give you and advantage in badminton? If so in what way? Because Im one skinny guy and cant seem to get the power as i want it to be.

-Thanks

5. Californian

Californian Regular Member

AzNbOi2747,

While you're waiting for Jonas to answer, let me say that weight training can help your strength for badminton, but it has to be part of a comprehensive training program that includes stretching and cardio work (either on-court or off), as well as your on-court drills. Just using weights will cause your muscles to shorten, you lose some range of motion, and that is the stiffness your coaches talk about. It could also result in increased risk of injury during play as muscles may suddenly be stretched beyond their accustomed range. Also, in most cases, you want to take the weight through the full range of motion; at the start (for contractions) or end (for extensions) your arm or leg is straight.

Also, check your technique. Weight training can give you something extra, but does not substitute for good technique. Besides, muscles need to be trained to react properly. It isn't just a matter of strength, but rather strength with control.

6. AzNbOi2747

AzNbOi2747 Regular Member

Student
    i guess your right, maybe lift weights once in a while?

i lifted weigths a few nights ago and today i feel more confident in my smashes and it seems to improve in speed..

thanks for the reply:)

7. JR

JR Regular Member

Weightlifting coach

Hi!

I´m so fortunate to have a personal weightlifting coach to do my programs. He has about 10-12 of the danish players.

It´s very difficult to say what weight range I do, but I can tell you that I make exercises inspired by Paul Check.

Low weights to start up with and then gradually adding up when I´m ready.

In my program there is a lot of balance training and I train more than just the biceps at a time. In the exercises I normally train more than one body part.

In addition to this iÍ´m learning how to benefit from the right breathing technics.

Hope this helps!!

All I´m saying is that my program is adjusted to what I need and therefore it´s not just a standard program everybody else can use.

Kind Regards

Jonas

8. teddy

teddy Regular Member

From a badminton book, i found out that the weights should be better when we lift lighter weights with more repetitions.
    However, other books said lifting heavy weights with lesser repetitions are better.
    Lastly, i heard from someone that lifting 80% of your maximum weight is the best.

So, which of them is right?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    all of them. :)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    higher weights with low reps is for building muscle
    lower weights with many reps are for toning muscle

to get the best in the first category you should lift a crtain percentage of the maximum you can lift whilst still using the correct form

11. teddy

teddy Regular Member

Definition of toning?:confused: :confused:

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Just to keep the muscle ticking over without building it up too much, example Arnie (I'm not even going to try and spell his second name) the Govenor, very well built heavy weights with low reps. This is how muscle is built up, the fibres tear and re-generate to give you muscle mass, you are putting great strain on the chosen muscle that you work

Badminton players tend to use light weights to tone ie. keep the muscle in shape without adding too much bulk which will slow them down when they are on court, of course there are exceptions to this where players develop leg muscles to help movement but you should get the general idea.

13. teddy

teddy Regular Member

And so toning means that after training with 80% of the maximum weight and getting the right muscle mass, we start to use 50% of the maximum weight to increses the strength very slowly and prevent the quick growing of muscle mass.

Did i catch it right?

14. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    as a avid bodybuilder.. post workout is also important.. make sure u eat lots of protein and theres more complex stuff like sugar and what not..

Jonas i have a question for you. Do you work out the same days as you play badminton? or do u try to keep them separate. Cause muscle needs time to grow back, and i am wondering if badminton would hinder your muscle growth. Thanks

15. JR

JR Regular Member

Sometimes I play badminton in the morning and straight afterwards I go to the gym. It saves me a lot of time and I think it´s ok as long as I train weights after I play.

I think it´s almost impossible to play after I´ve done weights because I tend to become heavy in my legs and it´s easier to get injuries.

Kind Regards

Jonas

16. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    thanks for replying jonas,

i know your in really good shape, how much do u weight and how much bodyfat do you have?

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Other way round Teddy, I think.

To get the mass you have to lift heavy weights, to tone you lift lighter weights.

18. teddy

teddy Regular Member

You misintepreted.

19. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I think I may have, can you elaborate?

20. teddy

teddy Regular Member

And so toning means that "" we start to use 50% of the maximum weight to increses the strength very slowly and prevent the quick growing of muscle mass.

Did i catch it right?

"after training with 80% of the maximum weight and getting the right muscle mass,"

Does that help?