how to make badminton as popular as other Olympic sports

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kirbosmash, Jun 14, 2009.

1. kirbosmash

kirbosmash Regular Member

It is to my distaste that badminton is regarded as a 2nd class sport in respect to sports such as baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. This plan I am proposing will help boosts badminton's popularity by spreading it to a larger audience and making it easier to televise.

3. Badminton magazines
    Badminton magazines are not readily available at drugstores, etc., or at least not here in America - these could be used to talk about news, players, rackets, clothing, etc - again, informing a wider range of audience to promote the sport.

2. Mega sponsors
    I'm not talking about the simple player sponsorships that provide rackets and clothing - I"m talking about a sport wide badminton sponsorship that will give badminton a section in ESPN for all viewers to see.

1. Statistics
    Badminton must have stats for kill shots, drop shots, smash attempts, etc - having these allow for more rankings and hence more competition. As a bonus these could be used for "badminton cards". Ultra popular! This is the most important element I am suggesting - this gives badminton a whole new potential gain global status as the world's best sport, because we all know that it truly is. ;)

2. Evan77546

Evan77546 Regular Member

Yeah, there are many ways to popularize things, but how do you intend to put badminton on ESPN? or even start a magazine?

and Badminton cards? HAHA!

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    these ideas are always great and are frequently discussed...but its up to the Major organisations within the different countries to actually do something. Maybe they should organise a few global conferences aimed at combining the sponsors/and different organisations within badminton across the world.

Its not necesarrily compared as second class sports everywhere....in asia badminton is huge ofcourse. It would be more or less trying to get the popularity up in more westernised countries. EG Australia haha.

The more countries with high interest and regards for the sport, will easily increase the popularity. And badminton is easily televisable its more or less that channels such as ESPN have a huge demand for the most popular American sports as it is an american channel lol. And badminton is not rated anywhere near basketball or NFL in america.

Lets hope the major corporations wake up soon and get some good ideas into place.

4. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    LOL Badminton cards! I think it will be difficult to record stats for those shots. Badminton magazines would be really nice though.

I am okay with the sport being 2nd class in America. I kind of like how it is hidden from people. If the media were to catch onto badminton, I think it would turn chaotic and a lot of respected athletes would be hunted down by the paparazzi and lose their privacy.

I kind of like how the people that play badminton are in a way different from those in other sports. It feels as if the badminton community is much more close and homely. Everybody is nice to each other and accepts each other.

If you take American football or basketball, for example, people are always cheering on certain teams and are harshly criticizing opposing teams. Like you will hear people say " *insert team* suck! This player and so and so are really bad players, etc." Then you would hear people arguing and things will get out of hand. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

But with badminton, everybody respects each team and individuals for their accomplishments and commitment to the sport. So I sort of don't want it to attract huge attention in America. Knowing this fabulous sport exists is okay with me.

#4 Jing09, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The intent is noble, and this topic has been discussed elsewhere.
    The sad truth is that the only way badminton could get any US media attention is if a current baddy star wins American Idol; gets arrested for bear-baiting; or makes a s*x-tape with Kate or Jon Gosselin. :(

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    hahahahahahah

silly american celebrity drama! aha that was good though ;)

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Haha that is quite true. Only those types of conspiracies will attract American viewers.

8. kirbosmash

back on subject. By counting "kill shots" I was suggesting that badminton be recorded like volleyball or boxing, as volleyball has already adopted that kind of scoring system, and boxing uses tickers to count "hits".

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Badminton is very popular among Asians and enthusiastic. Too bad there isn't any dedicated channels here in Canada that's for badminton.

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I can see how more detailed statistics appeals to a subset of hard-core fans of any sport. But, with respect, I don't see how it will attract fans new to the sport.

Magasines and TV specialty channels exist not simply because a sport is popular, but because sponsors put up money. Ice hockey is sponsored by companies that sell beer, fast food and Ford pick-up trucks. They feel the hockey demographic will reward them for bankrolling their sport.

If badminton is really so popular with North America Asians then don't complain to ESPN. Write to the companies that make soy sauce, instant noodles and the Honda Civic. Tell them we'll scratch their backs if they scratch ours.;)

11. kirbosmash

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I think number 2 is important, as well as getting exposure around the world, like showing the USA that badminton isnt' a backyard sport, but showing them the real competitive part. Also, more facilities, and better priced feather birds too.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I think it would be funny to see Lin Dan or Taufik or Lee Yong Dae in TMZ.

Imagine XXF on the beach with paparazzi taking a picture of her sunbathing.

:D:D

So true. This is because the badminton community is composed of more decent people. I'm not saying that football or basketball fans aren't. It's just that those sports are very physical and involves more brutality than badminton. Thus, those kind of games could heat up the atmosphere big time and then cause fights.

I still like badminton to gain more popularity. I don't think huge attention would cause badminton players and fans to become vicious (sorry to disagree). BWF wouldn't allow this. This sport is very strict, respectable, and civilized.

14. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    That gives me comfort. :D

15. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    A sport will never be popular in North America or Europe when the world #1 of that sport(currently LCW) looks like the typical skinny weak looking Asian boy. In terms of lady players, the likes of Vita.M, Liliyana.N, and etc ain't going to attract any male audience at all.

Look at the top tennis stars, the guys and girls have both skill and the look to go along with it. Same as soccer(football) stars like Beckham, C.Ronaldo, and etc... these people can attract a ladies crowd even if the ladies don't know anything about the game whatsoever.

16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    We need Panda on the TV showing his bear muscles! :D

17. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

sadly its often about the money. simply as any1 got rich playing badminton?... im sure yao ming makes **** load compare to super dan.

peter d. of new zealand tried to raise the popularity with lots and lots of money by attracting international player, tournies, etc2... sadly again money is limitation.

but i hope what ive said above wouldnt turn u down. i love badminton. it was just story to share and i would hate to be the person who shoot down the noble bird. all the best.

18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Then we must ask Wang Lin and Reiko Shiota to step up.

How about Lin Dan? Isn't he attractive enough for the girls?

Attached Files:

19. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Venkatesh you have a good point their :p.

20. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    yea true it's all about the money.
    But here's the idea of getting more people to join badminton. If ALL high school have badminton team, Yes i mean all. (and money comes in the way here) And of course, have MORE badminton CLUBs. Rather than now takes me 30 min. to drive to a club to play. It's all about conveinent. Honestly I can find close places to play, but (sry for my language) **** shiettie small receation places, take away your money and you can barely able to sweat for the whole day. Between each SETTTTT (yes only 1 set) is like 30 mins. at least. What's the fun in it.
    However, bottom line is badminton become popular in usa? Sry won't happen. It's all come down to the money.