[Stats] The Strongest MD Team Currently!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by narnia, Jun 15, 2009.

1. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Even though this issue has been long talked in another thread(JJS/LYD), I think this should be an interesting topic to be discussed beyond some specific players' threads.

So, for your information, I collected recent stats for the top 8 players in BWF ranking. Please share your idea about this.

Who do you think the best MD team in the world, among the teams currently playing?

H2H Stats of Top MDs.jpg

(note: I don't intend to advocate a specific team. The table will be updated as the tourneys finish.)

Enjoy!

#1 narnia, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    No, we can't really read that the highest ratio shows the strongest players.

What about the number of losses against lower ranked players or early exits in tournaments? That too has to count.

In the end, the World Ranking is still the best measure of the strongest and most consistent players. And we shouldn't bring the draw into the equation, because that is a dynamic variable controlled by no one. Eg. So-and-so player wins because the draw is weak, another stronger player loses because the luck of the draw cannot be used as excuse. A player only wins because he/she is the best of the day, not because of luck.

3. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Yes, that's another option you can take.

IMO, you can really know the strongest only from the matches between the strongest.

:)

4. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    Hi, from which ranking did you take the 8 teams from? I couldn't seem to find AC/NR from the top 8...

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Another set of tables showing individual pair's stats??..

..yup, that's another option if narnia wants to take up the challenge/effort.

narnia, may i suggest if you want to provide those stats, is to create a table for each individual pair and list their opponents/all the tourneys they've participated in; you'll then have 10 different tables.

And i do think stats showing the top 10 pairs is pretty justifiable. Afterall, it reflects those pairs who've competed in enough BWF-sanctioned tourneys to be considered as one of the top pairs.
    Also, the reason head-to-head stats vs. lower ranked pairs don't really count much is because, simply, the lower ranked pairs just didn't play in enough tourneys or garner enough pts to be on equal terms esp. with those top pairs who'd competed in more tourneys.

#5 ctjcad, Jun 16, 2009
  6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Actually there are so many arguments regarding the strongest MD. In fact, there are no strong and weak among the top 10 pairs in the BWF ranking. They are all strong. It is just a matter that, which pair is mentally and physically better on the particular day, the pair might win the match.

7. narnia

narnia Regular Member

I totally agree. But the stats show something meaningful.

8. badadum

badadum Regular Member

How can one be called the strongest MD team when it has tendency to crack and withered at the most crucial times? Case in point 1st round OG, final round of SC...heck even with the support of the local linesmen in KO, they still managed to get dominated pretty badly.

9. Siegfried_Li

Siegfried_Li Regular Member

Science
    I don't want to comment more than the two "MAS9" that JJS/LYD defeated KKK/TBH.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It is quite useful in a general sense.

Apart from Abedeng's points, does it take into account the 1st round byes?

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Narnia will create the post just to show that LYD/JJS is the strongest....again....it does not matter if the ratio of winning is 90% if LYD/JJS failed in winning BIG event like WC or OG...it is pretty useless....like KKK/TBH won everytime over MK?HS but lost to them on OG....
    To me..LYD/JJS is not even strongest MD at all....still way to go...you can ask Ha Tae Wan

12. n|mr0d

n|mr0d Regular Member

How would you treat this scenario? Team A always landing in the finals for 8 SS, but always losing to 8 different oponents. Their winning percentage is 0%

If we want to use data to back-up whoever is the strongest, lets use the world rankings.

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No problem bro. As I wrote in the other thread, he/she fails to account for some of Kido/Hendra's victories as well ;) Nevertheless, even Paaske/Rasmussen had a better record than Kido/Hendra.

Each individual has their interpretation of who is the strongest MD pair in the World. And that interpretation changes with time too. During the first half of 2007, Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong and Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun are clearly the best as they sweep almost everything in offer. However, that changed in the second half of 2007 all the way to Jan 2008 where Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan dominated the scene by winning 3 SS titles, the World Championships and 1 GP Gold title in the short space of 6 mths.

From Mar onwards to May, I will agree that Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae dominated the MD as they won the All England, Swiss SS, and Badminton Asia Championships 2009. However, like always, Kido/Hendra were in the limelight once more from August onwards till early November as they won everything in sight and lost only one time to Rian/Yoke; winning 3 SS titles and the Beijing Olympic Golds.

From mid Nov onwards, Jung/Lee were back in business as they won 3 SS in a row till early Jan before Jung was called to army service. Since then, there is clearly no dominant pair as Jung/Lee already lost 3 times this year, while Kido/Hendra also registered the same amount of defeat.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Be warned that our resident KOR fan will use the same statement that he/she frequently used in terms of the World Rankings ;) Oh...to him, titles are not important too :)

15. n|mr0d

n|mr0d Regular Member

Thanks for the warning :) . I am familiar with narnia. I have been at the background of BC for 5 years now.

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    FHF/CY have been pretty good, winning AE, all matches in Sudirman cup.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup....so far this year, they have been better compared to last year. They lost only once to Koo/Tan in the Swiss SS this year.

I don't think Cai Yun's age will allow them to compete in 2 tourneys in a row and won them both. So, it's good that they have been very selective in their tournament selection.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The stats, world ranking and all as proofs..

..they are all strong, but if anything, yes, the points, stats, winning percentage, titles, world ranking are the best indicators to know where the top pairs stand.
    - If Team A is LYD & JJS, they did win some titles to back up their Finals Round appearances in 2008.
    - I think narnia has used the world ranking of the top 10 MD pairs to provide his datas.

narnia is fine arguing his points here, as long as he can provide datas to back up his claims (as shown by the graphic in the previous page).:cool:

#18 ctjcad, Jun 16, 2009
  19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, this shows that u are indeed a superb stats collectors, narnia. please keep up the good work;)

20. n|mr0d

n|mr0d Regular Member

Team A as I mentioned it, does not refer to any team. It's just an illustration.